Second Republic - Join the conversation

Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna

I know it's been mentioned here many times before, but I don't know if any of the previous conversations about forming a new republic ever got off the ground. However, I would like to respectfully invite the members of Politics.ie to sign up to a new movement to do just that.

This is a very simple proposal - a national conversation about how we want our country to be run. In these times we need to question the political system, and not just the politicians, that brought us here.

We are an entirely independent, unaffiliated, internet-based grassroots organisation with no external funders, or links to other organisations.

We are not pushing any particular agenda about what form the new republic should take; rather, we want those conversations to take publicly, across the whole nation and with real, meaningful purpose and with results.

Our purpose is to bring people to the question. Only they can supply the answer.

We do not expect that the current or subsequent administration will bring about meaningful change but believe that it is necessary for the people be re-establish their faith in the political system by rebuilding it themselves.

First we need members, then we need public meetings, a national convention and ultimately, a new republic.

Please join us in this project - Second Republic

Twitter: @2ndrepublic
Facebook: facebook.com/2ndrepublic

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
We setup the Political Reform forum with a view to faciliating such discussions and debates, I'd ask you respect that, and post in the appropriate forum.

Many thanks (and well done on the initiative!)

Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna

We setup the Political Reform forum with a view to faciliating such discussions and debates, I'd ask you respect that, and post in the appropriate forum.

Many thanks (and well done on the initiative!)
Thanks, and apologies - did not know about that forum, will post updates etc. there in the future.

hiker

I posted elsewhere that a timeframe would be important.
My suggestion would be from 2016 to 2022.
Within this timeframe certain peices of legislation would be enacted and referendii would be held.

Whatever fundamental changes are needed for the 21st century and beyond would take place at this time.
This gives us a 4-5 year window for debate and analysis and consensus.
The Second Republic will be very different from the first. The circumstances are different and the political, economic and cultural environment is different.

It will need serious discussion from lawyers, politicians and the public.

It has begun here and it will continue from here...

Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna

I posted elsewhere that a timeframe would be important.
My suggestion would be from 2016 to 2022.
Within this timeframe certain peices of legislation would be enacted and referendii would be held.

Whatever fundamental changes are needed for the 21st century and beyond would take place at this time.
This gives us a 4-5 year window for debate and analysis and consensus.
The Second Republic will be very different from the first. The circumstances are different and the political, economic and cultural environment is different.

It will need serious discussion from lawyers, politicians and the public.

It has begun here and it will continue from here...
That's very true. Although many people are feeling that we need urgent change, it would probably be a lot wiser to take a long period of public consultation.

ocoonassa

ProTip: Learn to count Irish Republics that have been declared.

Ciarán Mac Mathghamhna

Are you going to organize from your bedroom in your Ma's house?
No. I'm going to organize it from your mother's bedroom. I hear it's much more suitable for big crowds.

ProTip: Learn to count Irish Republics that have been declared.
'ProTip' - a professional's tip? So you've been paid money to declare republics? Do tell.

Cynicism and begrudgery - the Irish virtues

Come on lads, is that all you've got? I could be knocking back amateurs like you pair of Healy-Rae level wits all day long.

former wesleyan

Make it really, really democratic so that we can't get gas on-shore or build nuclear power stations and my favourite, a tortuous planning system to delay stuff. Another must should be the setting up of a committee system to oversee public works.

ocoonassa

'ProTip' - a professional's tip? So you've been paid money to declare republics? Do tell.
No sorry it was a tip to make you look more professional. Republics declared 1798, 1803, 1848, 1867, 1916 and 1948. Next is 7th.

trekkypj

The first thing we need, first and foremost, is a root and branch reform of our electoral system.

We need to introduce the power to recall TDs. Absolute requirement.

We need to introduce a provision that requires TDs to sit in the Oireachtas five days a week. No recess. They will be allowed the same entitlements as any employee for holidays and pensions - give them a very decent salary and an office in the Oireachtas and that is IT. The expenses, allowances must end. Let the Stationary Office supply their pens and paper.

The requirement for holding a by-election must be introduced with the same time period as if the Dáil had been dissolved. It needs to be enshrined in law.

The current powerlessness of our regulators needs to end. We need immediate reform of bankruptcy and debt laws, the imposition of draconian fraud legislation and the establishment of tough requirements for new banks entering the market. A prohibition on subprime lending and tough collateral requirements for mortgages and company loans needs to be dealt with.

The digitization of the Land Registry records needs to be extended to include 'same day' registration of liens, personal debts and mortgages. Property 'in limbo' will be required to be resolved through the courts by the Land Registry, if necessary.

Accountants, Solicitors and Auditors need to be stripped of their self-regulation powers and made subject to enforcable regulations laid down by a reconstituted regulatory agency with teeth.

In particular, the idiotic system where a solicitor gives undertakings and holds mortgages in escrow needs to end. There's been far too much fraud. If the Land Registry could effect transfers on a 'same day' basis, this would not be necessary.

Politicians should have to pass strict ethical requirements before running for election and immediately should trigger an election if these are not met (with the offending TD statute barred.

hiker

I would like to see the abolition of the county council system.
For me this is the breeding ground for the parish pump politics that permeates the national assembly in Dáil Eireann.

Abolishing the dual mandate was an important step but I think its time to take it a step further.

Local representation is vital but it must be accountable. It appears that county councils are run by the civil service with a small input from the elected reps.
The budgets allocated to the County Councils but central government are never enough so local fund raising is done through council charges, fines etc etc.

This system is not a correct way of doing things.

I think that there could be several large areas of administration in Ireland on a proper budgetary standing and with an elected representation that would help to allocate that budget.
Its not right that civil servants are above elected reps in the spending of budgets.

If the country was divided up into 6 or 7 larger admin areas with proper budgets and administration then that would allow Dáil Eireann to be reduced by half.

It should have the effect of raising the standard of rep in the newly formed admin areas because there would be real power invested in them.

Its a kind of Devolution away from Dublin and into your locality.

cropbeye

Surely it should be the 4th Republic

After 1798, 1916 and the 26 county Republic of 1948

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies