Secret cabinet reshuffle has taken place: Examiner

gijoe

Fury as Hanafin says ‘no’ to uni

By Ciarán Murphy

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

EDUCATION Minister Mary Hanafin has been criticised in the southeast for claims that Ireland does not need another university, following years of campaigning for one for the area.

Read more: Fury as Hanafin says
So when did this reshuffle take place? I was under the impression that Mary Coughlan was the Education Minister! :)

Asparagus

So when did this reshuffle take place? I was under the impression that Mary Coughlan was the Education Minister! :)
I hoped that coughlan having any job other than pulling pints in a donegal pub was merely a bad dream.

Maybe Ciaran is denying the same bizarre reality.

gijoe

I hoped that coughlan having any job other than pulling pints in a donegal pub was merely a bad dream.

Maybe Ciaran is denying the same bizarre reality.
Maybe Cowen shuffled them last Monday night week.....but cannot remember?

gijoe

Of course the real story is that it seems that none of the morning current affairs programmes, or 'what it says in the papers' on Morning Ireland seems to have noticed. Is this a comment on the government and the impact of Ministers on their Ministries?

johndodger

More typical lazy journalism. Why bother checking facts or doing any research?

As for a university for the south east, this is needed now more than even. WIT is widely acknowledged as the best of the IT's and a university could easily encompase Carlow IT and a campus in Wexford.

Warren Poynt

Reporter errs.

Not spotted by sub editor.

EDITOR, if any, fails to read content.

No wonder the Examiner is in trouble.

Pains me to say this and see a once respected paper go down the tubes.

Victor Meldrew

Reporter errs.

Not spotted by sub editor.

EDITOR, if any, fails to read content.

No wonder the Examiner is in trouble.

Pains me to say this and see a once respected paper go down the tubes.
link page now blank.

oops...

Warren Poynt

Got it in one, JohnD.

A news reporter/sub-editor/ Editor should know who the Min for Ed is.

No major research called for there. Just basic, very basic knowledge.

Too much to ask, apparently.

devnull

To be honest, I'm more bothered by the 'Fury as ...' bit.

There's almost no decision you couldn't write either 'Fury as x' or 'X welcomed' headlines about, depending solely on your prejudices.

devnull

Hmm, well it is full of FGrs - it's to be expected.
Of course, media organisations like RTÉ that are closer to Labour never make such mistakes.
Well, aside from the time they caused an international currency panic with an incorrect story.

Red_93

Of course, media organisations like RTÉ that are closer to Labour never make such mistakes.
Well, aside from the time they caused an international currency panic with an incorrect story.
Yes, shur didn't Miriam O'Callaghan's brother run in the last GE for labour, oh wait....

devnull

Yes, shur didn't Miriam O'Callaghan's brother run in the last GE for labour, oh wait....
Within any large, reasonably conscientious media organisation you'll find a fair amount of diversity no matter what its overall bias - even Fox News has a token Democratic journalist or two.
You've pointed out an RTÉ journalist who has family links to FF, but it's not hard to find counter-examples of equally prominent ones who supported other parties (Orla Guerin, George Lee, Mark Little, the former WP supporters, etc.).
If that's your standard for discerning bias, then almost all media organisations are without it.

Every organisation has an overall culture that influences, but does not automatically decide, the decisions made by the people within it and RTÉ's is widely agreed to be socially liberal, semi-state, suburban, economically left-of-centre, Dublin Southside-centric, middle-class, etc.
I haven't claimed these biases are anywhere near as extreme or as deliberate as the Sindo's, but, as with every other media organisation, they do exist and in RTÉ's case they favour Labour.

Red_93

Within any large, reasonably conscientious media organisation you'll find a fair amount of diversity no matter what its overall bias - even Fox News has a token Democratic journalist or two.
You've pointed out an RTÉ journalist who has family links to FF, but it's not hard to find counter-examples of equally prominent ones who supported other parties (Orla Guerin, George Lee, Mark Little, the former WP supporters, etc.).
If that's your standard for discerning bias, then almost all media organisations are without it.

Every organisation has an overall culture that influences, but does not automatically decide, the decisions made by the people within it and RTÉ's is widely agreed to be socially liberal, semi-state, suburban, economically left-of-centre, Dublin Southside-centric, middle-class, etc.
I haven't claimed these biases are anywhere near as extreme or as deliberate as the Sindo's, but, as with every other media organisation, they do exist and in RTÉ's case they favour Labour.
RTE do not favour labour. have a look at the various journalists political affiliations and you'll find a lot of FFrs. Give me one example of a high ranking RTE journalist with labour leanings.

devnull

RTE do not favour labour. have a look at the various journalists political affiliations and you'll find a lot of FFrs. Give me one example of a high ranking RTE journalist with labour leanings.
Mark Little was active in Labour in his student days and was elected president of the UCD SU.
Were many journalists senior members of Ógra FF prior to joining RTÉ?

And whom are you claiming as having a verifiable leaning in favour of FF?
(having a relative with a verifiable bias doesn't count)

Last edited:

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
More typical lazy journalism. Why bother checking facts or doing any research?

As for a university for the south east, this is needed now more than even. WIT is widely acknowledged as the best of the IT's and a university could easily encompase Carlow IT and a campus in Wexford.
Better to be the best IT than the worst university.

Red_93

Mark Little was active in Labour in his student days and was elected president of the UCD SU.
That's correct, in fact he's the only one I could think of when I thought myself. But he no longer works for RTÉ.
Were many journalists senior members of Ógra FF prior to joining RTÉ?
Ryan Tubridy off the top of my head (which explains why O'Dea, Cowen and O'Rourke get such an easy ride on the LLS).
And whom are you claiming as having a verifiable leaning in favour of FF?
(having a relative with a verifiable bias doesn't count)
Dobbo was very sympathetic to Bertie, O'Callaghan was in my opinion very Bertie biased in the TV debate in 2007, Seán O'Rourke worked in the FF press office, and I already stated about Tubbs. And I can't remember who, but I think one RTE correspondents was a FF LE candidate, if someone knows who it is.

Warren Poynt

We have drifted too far away from the original theme of this thread.

Did the Examiner ever apologise for unilaterally 'reshuffling' the Cabinet ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies