Secret Diplomacy: 'Never tell the little people what is going on' - Dept.of Foreign Affairs

Catalpast

The Department of Foreign Affairs is refusing to clarify whether Ireland voted in favour of Saudi Arabia securing a seat on the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.Ireland's Saudi vote not to be disclosed

'Never tell the little people what is going on' would seem to be the mind set of Iveagh House as apparently we are NOT to be told how Ireland voted in the very controversial decision to award Saudi Arabia a place in the UN Commission.

WE BLOODY WELL HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO KNOW!

Also From RTE: Last month, Saudi Arabia successfully campaigned for a seat on the Commission - securing 47 votes, at least 5 of which are said to have come from European countries.

If we did vote to let them on - a decision I would have serious reservations about BTW - then why the need for Secrecy?

What have they got to hide?

We are supposedly a Democracy - we elect a Government through our chosen TDS

- and that Government is accountable ultimately to the Electorate.

Maybe they just don't get it on the Green whose interests they are there to serve?

Or is it we don't get whose interest we are here to serve?:|

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Absolute disgrace. The Irish people have a right to know decisions taken in their name..:mad::mad:

RasherHash

The Department of Foreign Affairs is refusing to clarify whether Ireland voted in favour of Saudi Arabia securing a seat on the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.Ireland's Saudi vote not to be disclosed

'Never tell the little people what is going on' would seem to be the mind set of Iveagh House as apparently we are NOT to be told how Ireland voted in the very controversial decision to award Saudi Arabia a place in the UN Commission.

Also From RTE: Last month, Saudi Arabia successfully campaigned for a seat on the Commission - securing 47 votes, at least 5 of which are said to have come from European countries.

If we did vote to let them on - a decision I would have serious reservations about BTW - then why the need for Secrecy?

Maybe they just don't get it on the Green whose interests they are there to serve?

It's called fascism.

willow68

If we voted Yes, they are understandably embarrassed about such a travesty.
If we voted No, they are afraid of repercussions from those we must not criticise.
Either way a shameful despicable Gubu.

Clanrickard

The reply to my query as to how Ireland voted...........

Dear ***********

Thank you for your query.
In order to facilitate the conduct and management of sensitive international relationships, governments generally do not publicly disclose voting intentions in elections to international bodies such as the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

Such elections are normally decided by secret ballot.
Best regards
Aidan

Mentalist Clientelist

Good to see our media finally got around to reporting this.

The only reason we get to hear about it is because of uproar in other countries. The story then filters through to us. Our supine media either aren't aware (which is worrisome) or don't consider it important (even more worrisome) to report on this.

Lúidín

Mentalist Clientalist: Good to see our media finally got around to reporting this.
The only reason we get to hear about it is because of uproar in other countries. The story then filters through to us. Our supine media either aren't aware (which is worrisome) or don't consider it important (even more worrisome) to report on this.
I started a thread on this subject on April 23rd which was liked by 11 posters and started a debate. It was then Zooed.

Here it is:
Saudi Arabia elected to UN women's rights commission
https://www.rt.com/news/385847-women-rights-un-saudis/

This shameful act was carried out by a secret ballot of 15 countries, one of whom was Ireland.
A country where women are abused and violated with impunity is now on the UN Commission on the Status of Women. I think we have a right to know if Ireland voted for this farce.

diaspora-mick

Absolute disgrace. The Irish people have a right to know decisions taken in their name..:mad::mad:
I hate to break it to you but NO you don't.

Check the Freedom of Information Act (so-called) under Section 33 which amongst other things includes an exemption for:
"information communicated in confidence ... from, to, or within an international organisation of states or a subsidiary organ of such an organisation or an institution or body of the European Union, or relates to negotiations between the State and such an organisation, organ, institution or within or in relation to such an organisation, organ, institution or body, or is a record of such a body containing information the disclosure of which is prohibited by the organisation, organ, institution or body".
Freedom of Information Act 2014, Section 33

shoneen

Shure don't they have abortion? According to the UN that makes them the best boys in class when it comes to women's rights.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Should anyone be surprised if FG voted for the religious regime of the Saudi's when they have shown nothing but contempt for women by wanting to give away free a maternity hospital to a religious organisation that has an appalling record of gross abuse against women ?

Wascurito

MONEY ,money money , backhands , backhands , brown paperbags
Yep. The Belgians want a place on the UN Security Council too and Wahhabi cash has a lot of influence in the Arab-Islamic world. Whoever earns Most Favoured Candidate Status from the women-whippers will get a lot of votes from North Africa and the Middle East.

clearmurk

Another example of the pretentious arrogance of the institutional state here.

realistic1

Should anyone be surprised if FG voted for the religious regime of the Saudi's when they have shown nothing but contempt for women by wanting to give away free a maternity hospital to a religious organisation that has an appalling record of gross abuse against women ?
Fianna Fail are also fond of Saudi. Sure President Mary McAleese said we were all shocked by press freedoms that facility the publication of images of Allah.

Danish cartoons shocked us, says President - Independent.ie

eoghanacht

The irony, the bead rattler in the OP has no problem with secrecy deals between Nuns and the Government when it comes to OUR NMH.

transparency is a two way street.

Saudi's alright, the yanks said so.

Socratus O' Pericles

The reply to my query as to how Ireland voted...........

Dear ***********

Thank you for your query.
In order to facilitate the conduct and management of sensitive international relationships, governments generally do not publicly disclose voting intentions in elections to international bodies such as the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women.

Such elections are normally decided by secret ballot.
Best regards
Aidan
At least you got a reply. I wrote to MMOC and Maria Bailey, my two local female TDs, and asked them for their views on the NMH at Vincent's -heard nothing back.

On the substantive issue it really is a disgrace, the condescension is palpable.

jackryan

Says alot about the UN! Grubbiness of countries voting so as to get votes for themselves on other councils!

JamieD

Fianna Fail are also fond of Saudi. Sure President Mary McAleese said we were all shocked by press freedoms that facility the publication of images of Allah.

Danish cartoons shocked us, says President - Independent.ie
I still get slightly enraged when I realize all the Western countries... no I'm wrong.. Western LEADERS... who threw the Danish under the bus during that manufactured childish outrage.

That was the moment Charlie Hebdo's fate was sealed, as they were one of only few publications who would publish the cartoons. That prompted a string of attacks on Charlie Hebdo, through the legal system and through violence, to which Charlie Hebdo always responded by drawing more cartoons to make their point clear. From the Danish cartoons, you can draw a line right to the Jan 2015 massacre. If everyone had published the cartoons and shown Europeans what the bar was for severe violence in parts of the Islamic world, Charlie Hebdo never would have stood out like a sore thumb! I hope.. but I doubt.. there's a lot of guilty feelings in European media over that!

New Threads

Most Replies