Secret Fianna Failers

greengreen

I heard Noel Whelan talking on the radio of the embarrassment some people feel to say that they will vote Fianna Fail . They will however go out and vote FF on the day. I talked to 2 people this week who said the same thing ie: They will be voting FF but wont be admitting it in public. I wonder if there will be a surprise surge on voting day for FF as the faithful turn out. I know that it didn't happen in Donegal but there was a huge internal bust up there. What do you think?

Goldencircle

Would you want everyone to know you are the scum of the earth ?

Pauli

I talked to 2 people this week who said the same thing ie: They will be voting FF but wont be admitting it in public.
Don't give them the luxury of supporting corruption, incompetence, the loss of sovereignty and the destruction of Irish independence.

Out Them!!!

liamfoley

I heard Noel Whelan talking on the radio of the embarrassment some people feel to say that they will vote Fianna Fail . They will however go out and vote FF on the day. I talked to 2 people this week who said the same thing ie: They will be voting FF but wont be admitting it in public. I wonder if there will be a surprise surge on voting day for FF as the faithful turn out. I know that it didn't happen in Donegal but there was a huge internal bust up there. What do you think?
I bet my children on FF not going below 25% (why not, FF have already mortgaged them).

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
They will get more than 13% .. anyone who knows a smidgen about politics will accept that.. how much more is the key to how bad they do.

To fall from 42% to even 25% would be cataclysmic for FF.. especially when in every constituency that 25% will be further sub divided by running more than one candidate

Plus, FF have fallen very much into the "with us or agin us" groove as far as transfers are concerned.. they will fall from the 70's to the 30's in my opinion.

orbit

I think there is some truth to this. The level of anticipation about the election is becoming counter-productive. Even Fianna-Failer's themselves are putting it out there that it's hopeless, which may result in a bizarre kind of sympathy vote among some people.

TommyO'Brien

There is long-standing evidence of this happening worldwide. Among the varying examples, with different motivations, were

1) The Shy Tory Effect, where voters declared that they would vote for Labour or the Lib Dems in 1992 but actually intended to vote for the Tories.
2) The DUP/SF Effect, where voters in the North who on the day would vote for the DUP or SF would declare for Alliance.
3) The Bradley Effect, where people would declare to vote for a black candidate while actually planning to vote against them.

The reasons are simple:
Their real voting intentions are perceived to the voter as being embarrassing, or would be judged on by the pollster - eg, people in the US who were racist; people in Britain who would perceive supporting the Tories something that would lead to their ostracisation; people who believe their declaring support for Sinn Féin would be seen as justifying murders, or that by admitting to support the DUP would make them seen as religious fundamentalists and bigots.

So people hide their true voting intentions, often hiding their votes among those they believe the media would see as more warranting support, or more 'goody two shoes'.

So for example, people would declare for the "goody two shoes" in Northern politics, the Alliance Party. Or racists would try to prove they were not racist by pretending they intended to vote for the black candidate.

In Ireland, FF are (rightly) seen by most with contempt by most people. So it is likely that some FFers will hide their intention to vote FF from public knowledge and so declare for the party they believe the media like the most (which would probably be Labour because of Gilmore's personal popularity).

How large the 'hidden' FF will be is unknown but it is likely to be something like 2-3%.

pollbearer

check out red c website where you will see how they are doing an adjustment to account for the people who are ashamed to say they vote for FF

electoralshock

at the end of the day everyone was a td nearby...fianna fail have always managed to put multiple candidates in each constituency. this coupled with 'i'll fill in that pothole for ya' politics (which fianna fail are the kings off!) is rampant especially down here in the country!
so yes, secret fianna fail is truly alive and well in ireland..fianna fail getting 13% in a general election....we can all dream!!!

BlackLion

Don't give them the luxury of supporting corruption, incompetence, the loss of sovereignty and the destruction of Irish independence.

Out Them!!!
so you wont be voting for FG/Lab/Swp or SF either?

Pauli

so you wont be voting for FG/Lab/Swp or SF either?
The short answer to your question is "no". The others are not pure as the driven snow but, unlike FF, their entire raison d'etre is not corrupt self-advancement.

EUrJokingMeRight

Stupidity in Ireland is riFFe.
Anyone who votes for FF should remove all glass and mirrors from their home.
It will stop FF supporters having to look at themselves in the mirror.
And once you're Ugly on the inside it doesn't matter what you look like anyhow.

Limestone

There are those who will vote FF because that is what they've always done despite their reservations and what they say to pollsters and others. The problem for FG in particular is the quality of the alternative T. I actually think Enda will grow into the role but his prospective tenure will, not in itself persuade FFers to switch to FG in this election. If FG had a magnificent leader imagine how much trouble FF would be in. Indeed, remember back to the Bert in 02 when his personal popularity won a huge amount of (utterly misguided) FGers over.

stripey cat

I heard Noel Whelan talking on the radio of the embarrassment some people feel to say that they will vote Fianna Fail . They will however go out and vote FF on the day.
The mystery of Noel Whelan is why, and how, he managed to carve out a reputation for political analysis. He has no qualifications in it. He is a failed candidate, and only ran the once if you don’t count the Seanad. His books are laughable and his bias eye-wateringly evident.
The Mystery of Noel Whelan « The Cedar Lounge Revolution

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I will not vote for either Kenny or Cowen to be Taoiseach. If either party changes leader and it's Hanafin or Martin for FF, I will vote FF. They have done an awful job, but the alternatives are worse. A government led by Kenny implementing the Labour crazy policies would actually be a step even further backwards. On the other hand if FG are led by Bruton, that would be my top preference, but more in a "best of a ba lot" kind of way.

BlackLion

The short answer to your question is "no". The others are not pure as the driven snow but, unlike FF, their entire raison d'etre is not corrupt self-advancement.
Not yet.

New Threads

Most Replies