Secret police disguised as protesters at ICTU demonstration?

arcadeparade

Many of the hundred thousand plus people who took part in Saturday's demonstration against the IMF/ECB four year plan would be disturbed to know that mixed among them were a number of secret police disguised as protesters. And it appears these Special Branch operatives were among the small breakaway march to the Dail that occurred after the main protest and which some media outlets seized on as 'proof' of the violence the Garda and that section of the media had been hyping in advance of the protest.

Darren who had travelled up to Dublin for the protest told WSM.ie that "I saw an old classmate called E. D. (full name with author) from Ballinasloe who had joined the Garda so I was surprized to see him outside the Dail in a black parka with a scarf over his face." Video footage on Youtube (below) appears to show one of these secret police men who is dressed in a bulky jacket and who has a white hood pulled over his head to disguise his appearance. Around 34 seconds in he approaches the middle of a line of Garda blocking Molesworth street. The mystery man whose back is to the camera throughout talks to the senior Guard in the line which then parts to let him through.

In advance of the protest the Garda were part of the ongoing effort by the establishment to separate those protesting the attacks on their living standards into 'good protesters' and 'bad protesters' with the bad protesters often referred to as infiltrators, left wing extremists etc. Garda Chief Supt Michael O'Sullivan said “there are individuals and groups who seek to exploit such events for their own ends”. In a press release on the eve of the demonstration Mark Malone for the WSM commented that "Luckily for O Sullivan, he has the names and address of all these people. They are under his command. The Garda Siochana must think we are stupid. Its is no coincidence that the only time a riot happens at a protest is when the riot cops show up."

This of course did not stop right wing politicians and the media from using such statements from the Garda to try and scare people from attending the demonstration and to try and drive a wedge between the left and those protesting.

Continued here: Secret police disguised as protesters at ICTU demonstration? | Workers Solidarity Movement

Seanie Lemass

Police use of agents provocateurs is as old as policing itself. There are lots of stories about them doing this sort of thing during republican marches, unemployed campaign in 50s, housing protests in 60s etc.

However, the organisers of the break away marches, including the WSM, ought pause then to think are they not playing into their hands? After all if the Gardai go to bother of provoking the disturbances does that not call into the question the whole nonsense about 'direct action.'

What is Special Branch more worried about, 100,000 people on the street or a couple of dozen 'revolutionaries' throwing firecrackers over railings?

Monday Monday

It wasn't just the crowd infiltrated by the police.
Up on the podium quite a few "secret agents" and establishment collaborators got to make speeches.

controller

How is this news. Always happens..

CarnivalOfAction

Police use of agents provocateurs is as old as policing itself. There are lots of stories about them doing this sort of thing during republican marches, unemployed campaign in 50s, housing protests in 60s etc.

However, the organisers of the break away marches, including the WSM, ought pause then to think are they not playing into their hands? After all if the Gardai go to bother of provoking the disturbances does that not call into the question the whole nonsense about 'direct action.'

What is Special Branch more worried about, 100,000 people on the street or a couple of dozen 'revolutionaries' throwing firecrackers over railings?
Makes a change from harassing Birmingham 6 supporters or the families of the 34 dead victims of the Dub/Mon bombs; maybe it's all a clever plot to catch the perps??:oops:

Partizan

No news really. The cops have been doing that for years with the intention to provoke and undermine the protests. It's a purely political act by the GS.

Cabbage/Turnip

i was at the dail protest that day.. I was saying it to poeple in the crowd some of them were obvious caught one lad eyeing me up and down... and i said it to him and he walked off

Iarmhi Gael

Why is this even surprising. Well done the Gardai for going undercover. I'm sure everyone involved in the parade wanted it to pass off peacefully and Gardai needed to mix with the crowd to see if anything was being planned.

What is wrong with the Gardai in doing this?

reknaw

I remember the undercover Gardai who used to "infiltrate" student circles in search of "dope" in the 1960s and 1970s. They did their best to dress the part, but the light-blue shirts were a dead giveaway ...:roll::roll::roll:

Partizan

i was at the dail protest that day.. I was saying it to poeple in the crowd some of them were obvious caught one lad eyeing me up and down... and i said it to him and he walked off
They are easy enough to spot but be on the lookout on Budget protest. They will be conspicious enough with the hoodies, will provoke the Gardai and may even engage in threathening behaviour. However when it kicks off he will be one of the first to drag you to the ground and arrest you.

Cabbage/Turnip

They are easy enough to spot but be on the lookout on Budget protest. They will be conspicious enough with the hoodies, will provoke the Gardai and may even engage in threathening behaviour. However when it kicks off he will be one of the first to drag you to the ground and arrest you.
Its getting to the stage now where i dont really have any respect for the police force and i have never caused trouble in y life.. i always wondered why people dont do a v for vendetta on it and all march at pace no gaps in the line straight through the garda and take the dail until the public get what we want

Cabbage/Turnip

Why is this even surprising. Well done the Gardai for going undercover. I'm sure everyone involved in the parade wanted it to pass off peacefully and Gardai needed to mix with the crowd to see if anything was being planned.

What is wrong with the Gardai in doing this?
some instigate the trouble to see who will react removing anbody with possible tendencies for aggression

G

Gimpanzee

Odd sort of 'agent provocateurs'.... they didn't provoke anything. I think 'guardians of the peace' is probably more appropriate.

Cabbage/Turnip

mothball

I wouldn't actually describe them as 'agent provocateurs'. I'm pretty certain every police force does this during protests. It allows them to direct their colleagues to anyone who is causing trouble as well as those in the background directing it.

New Threads

Most Replies