Secretary of State for Northern Ireland

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Apparently, James Brokenshire has "resigned" from the Cabinet.

Two questions and a thought:

1. Did he jump, or was he pushed?

2. Will anyone notice the vacancy?

3. Brokenshire was May's spear-carrier at the Home Office. Makes one wonder what loyalty earns in the present Tory hierarchy.

President Bartlet

It is being reported he has resigned due to ill health

If anything I would have expected him to get promoted to a better Cabinet post under Tessie

LadyLou

He took a look at the problems coming from Brexit and the Border and realised it was

a no-win situation so he did the 'sensible' thing and ran away.

NMunsterman

Apparently, James Brokenshire has "resigned" from the Cabinet.

Two questions and a thought:

1. Did he jump, or was he pushed?

2. Will anyone notice the vacancy?

3. Brokenshire was May's spear-carrier at the Home Office. Makes one wonder what loyalty earns in the present Tory hierarchy.
No.

With "Brexit" coming down the tracks, the Border issue will be handled between Dublin, London and Brussels.
Stormont is dead so the SoS role for the North is redundant as business will be carried on through the BIIGC.

mr_anderson

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.
The Siberia of British political posts.

Upper Chamber

The man is ill, resignations are not always to do with scheming and plotting. A bit of humanity wouldn't go amiss.

Windowshopper

I hope he has a swift and full recovery, and that it is without anxiety or discomfort.

The Cameron/May SosS have not being impressive figures in my view. New Labour at least but big beasts at the helm. Theresa Villers was lightweight and I'll never forgive her for campaigning for Brexit, I can respect her position as a normal politician representing a run of the mill Tory constituency but as SoS, she would have known the effect Brexit would have from a material standpoint and on a political on the the province she was supposed to administer so f**k her. As for Brokenshire he was appointed as loyal lieutenant of May, which is fair enough lieutenants can be competent, but in his case the only thing that can be said is that his surname turned out to be darkly ironic.

General Urko

The man is ill, resignations are not always to do with scheming and plotting. A bit of humanity wouldn't go amiss.
And so was Brian Walsh the ex Blueshirt TD for Galway West, who resigned prior to GE 2016!

darkhorse

I wish him well and a speedy recovery
Equally, here's hoping he doesn't get his job back afterwards as he was utterly useless

Roll_On

In fairness his job is: here's a MASSIVE pile of sh!te, make something decent of it.

I'd be gone as soon as I could come up with any kind of plausible excuse to.

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
I wish the man a speedy recovery.
As do we all.

On the other hand (and I have family experience of "small lesions" on the lung) an "extended absence" for recuperation may or may not be the whole story. In 2013 Jo Swinson managed to be pregnant and a minister.

But I'm an irredeemable political-cynic. Famously, when Talleyrand's death was reported, Metternich mused, "What did he mean by that?"

livingstone

As do we all.

On the other hand (and I have family experience of "small lesions" on the lung) an "extended absence" for recuperation may or may not be the whole story. In 2013 Jo Swinson managed to be pregnant and a minister.

But I'm an irredeemable political-cynic. Famously, when Talleyrand's death was reported, Metternich mused, "What did he mean by that?"
To be fair, being a Junior Minister is a bit different than being a Secretary of State in a job demanding some pretty hefty negotiations management over the next few months.

Brokenshire's options were:

(1) Remain in post and just muddle through;

(2) Resign; or

(3) Ask for a leave of absence where another minister carried a lot of the weight over the next few months, and then return and consign them to the backbenches (or expect May to give them another job).

I don't think there's any particular between the lines in this. Brokenshire is ambitious and a May ally - he's not resigning because the job's too hard (the seat at the Cabinet table is far more important than the portfolio) or because he's had a falling out with May, and he hasn't been sacked.

automaticforthepeople

Brokenshire went in 18 months from overseeing a functioning assembly to a dysfunctional mess. The prospects of resolution are zero. Even if you are in the prime of your health you wouldn't be well at times. Add to that a serious threat as announced and you wouldn't be human if you thought I'm out of here.

When he recovers he'll have time to catch up with the Oh yes you did, Oh no I didn't pettiness of Europe's most unedifying democracy. By then he'll be in opposition.

I wish him good health.

General Urko

As do we all.

Yes, I wish the man well!

General Urko

Brokenshire went in 18 months from overseeing a functioning assembly to a dysfunctional mess. The prospects of resolution are zero. Even if you are in the prime of your health you wouldn't be well at times. Add to that a serious threat as announced and you wouldn't be human if you thought I'm out of here.

When he recovers he'll have time to catch up with the Oh yes you did, Oh no I didn't pettiness of Europe's most unedifying democracy. By then he'll be in opposition.

I wish him good health.
There was feck all he could do to sort the mess out!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies