• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sectarian bigotry over flag used for Ryder cup

Squib

<MOD>
This thread is for sectarian bigots to discuss flags, the Ryder cup thread is here:
http://www.politics.ie/northern-ireland/139742-not-such-wee-country-today.html

(and not all posts in this thread are by bigots, unfortunately some normal posters got drawn in)
</MOD>

True enough lil bro. Congrats from your three big brothers, Leinster, Munster and Connaught.
The Flag the lads are holding up is the flag of the 6 counties, known as the the Ulster banner (represented by the 6 pointed star).

So you should probably have said "Congrats from your three big brothers and little sister, Leinster, Munster, Connaught and the 3 Republic counties of Ulster.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luigi Vampa

Pity they used the wrong flag

The "Ulster Banner" they used, is the defunct flag of the defunct 1953-1972 Government of Northern Ireland.

Last edited:

meriwether

The Flag the lads are holding up is the flag of the 6 counties, known as the the Ulster banner (represented by the 6 pointed star).

So you should probably have said "Congrats from your three big brothers and little sister, Leinster, Munster, Connaught and the 3 Republic counties of Ulster.
I'm sure that was at the forefront of his mind.

Interista

In Fairness Rory & Graeme are not courting controversary. They both are Northern Ireland citizens and this is the only flag they could be seen with.
You can't be a "Northeren Ireland citizen'. People from NI are citizens of Britain and/or Ireland.

Luigi Vampa

In Fairness Rory & Graeme are not courting controversary. They both are Northern Ireland citizens and this is the only flag they could be seen with.

know the lads very well and both are very non - political and I'm sure would be saddened to see their sport or themselves linked to any side of a political divide.

Well done to the pair of them.
The defunct flag they used (1953-1972 Government of NI) only represents one community. They would be well aware of its symbolism and who uses it today.

Squib

know the lads very well and both are very non - political and I'm sure would be saddened to see their sport or themselves linked to any side of a political divide.

Well done to the pair of them.
There is no such thing as a Northern Ireland Citizen, they are either British subjects or Irish citizens.

The flag is not an official flag, but the flag of the old sectarian Stormont regime that governed Northern Ireland until 1973. The flag still represents sectarianism in Northern Ireland!

Squib

Its is if you see it that way....

Many don't - These 2 wouldn't
If you have an accent from any of the counties of the Republic, I dare you to stroll around and chat to the reasonable, non-sectarian people who fly this flag throughout Northern Ireland.

Iarmhi Gael

There is no such thing as a Northern Ireland Citizen, they are either British subjects or Irish citizens.

The flag is not an official flag, but the flag of the old sectarian Stormont regime that governed Northern Ireland until 1973. The flag still represents sectarianism in Northern Ireland!

Ok - so they are British subjects (Rory actually has an Irish passport when he had to get one in haste 4 years ago) - Good lads - great golfers.

In relation to flag - I couldn't give a sh*t. Its a flag -

Iarmhi Gael

If you have an accent from any of the counties of the Republic, I dare you to stroll around and chat to the reasonable, non-sectarian people who fly this flag throughout Northern Ireland.
Funny - I'm from Westmeath, lived in Belfast 15 years and have had no problem with my accent in the years here.

I remember David Irvine making tea for me on the Lower Newtownards rd, and indeed I was in the company of a leading Belfast republican only last week.

Get over yourself - Things have moved on. If you you have problems that is your own fault.

b.a. baracus

Are you not from Monaghan Schomberg?
I'll try to get a pic of Paddy with the Tricolour so you can put that up too.
Ill Pm it to you.

Chrisco

It is not actually; it was the flag of the now defunct Government of Northern Ireland that ceased to exist in 1972.

The 'flag of the 6 counties' is technically the Union Jack (and yes Tommy, I know it is not officially called the union jack, nor is it technically a jack...)

Iarmhi Gael

It's no longer an official flag and now belongs to Loyalist paramilitaries.

Where are you from ?
Probably more Irish then you and probably more republican blood in me then you as well

In some people's eyes who wish to remain within the conflict zone the flag could be seen as loyalist - Yes. I don't as I've moved on

But seeing as its associated with Northern Ireland in Football, Ulster Rugby & Golf - I find it ok. Mightn't like it - But I've no problem with my neighbours flying it to support David Healy or Darren Cave or indeed Rory

Cabbage/Turnip

Schomberg has not written one post since he started the thread... if he is anything like me he is laughing his hole off at the ease he got ye.. sad really

Popular Threads

Most Replies