Sectarianism at UUC ? Fact or fiction ?

former wesleyan

Found this tweet at "A Pint of Unionist Lite " blog when I was having a look .

Anyone heard about sectarianism and homophobia at UCC ? I know from the '30's to the '50's it had a reputation of being under the thumb of a Fine Gael mafia and of being anti-semitic , but I thought it was fairly progressive these days.

David T (dt_ni) on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

jacko

Found this tweet at "A Pint of Unionist Lite " blog when I was having a look .

Anyone heard about sectarianism and homophobia at UCC ? I know from the '30's to the '50's it had a reputation of being under the thumb of a Fine Gael mafia and of being anti-semitic , but I thought it was fairly progressive these days.

David T (dt_ni) on Twitter
change the OP title or take it down as its defamatory against UCC.

The tweet refers to UUC - University of Ulster Coleraine !

former wesleyan

change the OP title or take it down as its defamatory against UCC.

The tweet refers to UUC - University of Ulster Coleraine !
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Tomas Mor

and FG ruled ok in Coleraine !!!

He3

Title corrected.

Arracht

I can't access twitter at work, what is the basis of the allegations?

devnull

The most recent tweet there is
"# UnionistLite @dt_ni Way to deal with sectarianism within UUC is to publicise it. QUB was a cesspit until papers and politicos started taking an interest.
about 4 hours ago via web in reply to dt_ni
Retweeted by dt_ni"
but I can't find the tweet with the actual allegation.

In any case, this thread appears to belong in the NI black hole.

Green eyed monster

Good catch jacko!

Now i expect to hear the OP do honour to the concerns that motivated this thread (namely sectarianism wherever it occurs) and go into detail about the sectarianism at this Northern University....

The concerted and diligent attempts to find mud to sling at the people of the Republic continue in earnest.

former wesleyan

Good catch jacko!

Now i expect to hear the OP do honour to the concerns that motivated this thread (namely sectarianism wherever it occurs) and go into detail about the sectarianism at this Northern University....

The concerted and diligent attempts to find mud to sling at the people of the Republic continue in earnest
Don't be stupid... I genuinely misread the "UUC" and asked the question ! I was suprised to (mis) read the allegation !

Nordie Northsider

I would be stunned if the allegations of sectarianism at Coleraine went any further than the usual suspects: Irish language signage, an active GAA club, Taigs generally ...well, manifesting themselves all over the place. So many of them too - and some of them from Éire!:roll:

Cabbage/Turnip

I just left UUC in october, the uni itself is not too secterian apart from apparent death threats given to the president of the student union (irish guy) for wanting the easter lilly sold in the college like the poppy is... but the area aound the college is very secterian.. I have been at house parties when older local men come in and start saying the hate taigs around here (even though they would be in a house full of taigs), soleraine town is a complete no go for an irish guy at night time and i myself have been on the recieving end of secterian attacks in portstewart (two incidents). However the IRA did spray portsteart a few months ago

former wesleyan

I would be stunned if the allegations of sectarianism at Coleraine went any further than the usual suspects: Irish language signage, an active GAA club, Taigs generally ...well, manifesting themselves all over the place. So many of them too - and some of them from Éire!:roll:
Exactly. And the antics of the youth wing of the DUP is democracy in action, not sectarianism.:cool:

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Exactly. And the antics of the youth wing of the DUP is democracy in action, not sectarianism.:cool:
Bet he wouldn't describe the actions of the Catholic church pressure groups on influencing the southern govt. in the past as " democracy in action " ;) :)

Unionist Lite

but I can't find the tweet with the actual allegation

Ok, I'm the person whose tweet you've quoted here, so for those who are still interested, I'll fill in the gaps:

1. The allegation involved actually someone (DT's brother) receiving a a split skull. I don't know the full details (original tweet, for whatever reason, has now been removed) but I suspect it was unlikely it was caused by either "Irish language signage" or indeed an "active GAA club".

2. If you reread my original tweet, you'll see no mention of "taigs" or indeed the "Irish" (I and DT would also both regard ourselves as "Irish" but that is probably besides the point here) guy who is president of the SU. I've no idea of the religion of the victim or perpetrators in this case and amazingly, as a Unionist, I've still given DT advice on a sectarian attack. The fact that "Nordie Northsider" has decided that the complaint must have necessarily involved a "hun" getting a hammering, I think says more about his ah..."perceptions" on sectarianism at the university than mine or DT.

Having said all that, the implications from "Nordie" and "Cabbage" that sectarianism (no mention of homophobia which was also in the original comment?) from "Nationalist"/"Catholic"/"Irish" students at Coleraine is an unimaginable concept is comforting.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies