• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

See, if you are going to complain....

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Funny story in the Guardian about some xtian fundies in the states getting annoyed about a Netflix show with Michael Sheen and David Tennant called 'Good Omens', the actors respectively playing the part of an angel and a demon.

Some 20,000 odd members of the cross-eyed confraternity signed a petition and sent it off to Amazon. Only problem being of course that Amazon doesn't own or produce the programme. The programme is owned and produced by Netflix.

I only put this threadlet in 'Media' because I couldn't find the thread which speculated on whether atheists or the religious were smarter.

Lagertha

Funny story in the Guardian about some xtian fundies in the states getting annoyed about a Netflix show with Michael Sheen and David Tennant called 'Good Omens', the actors respectively playing the part of an angel and a demon.

Some 20,000 odd members of the cross-eyed confraternity signed a petition and sent it off to Amazon. Only problem being of course that Amazon doesn't own or produce the programme. The programme is owned and produced by Netflix.

I only put this threadlet in 'Media' because I couldn't find the thread which speculated on whether atheists or the religious were smarter.
It's nuts. Good Omens is one of my favourite books and I was really looking forward to watching it on Amazon, except it's not available on Amazon in Ireland.

rainmaker

Administrator

You may need some protective headgear for the incoming when the 'anti Christian' police arrive on thread & start claiming victimization & pointing at other faiths.

This is the problem with all organized religions & always has been.

Their adherents arrogantly & ignorantly seem to think to the rest of us may only view, hear & read what their personal belief system says we can.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I look forward to the day when the po-faced anywhere in the world inspired by the anthropomorphism of their own ego known as 'god' to complain once again about their trials and tribulations, and some politician just goes 'ah feck off'.

raetsel

It's nuts. Good Omens is one of my favourite books and I was really looking forward to watching it on Amazon, except it's not available on Amazon in Ireland.
BBC 2 will be showing the series at some stage. If you have Sky they have a facility called "Never Miss" which you can access by logging into your Sky account online, and request a notification as to when it will be on. It's very useful.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Lest anyone is in any doubt I think there is a very good case for seeing the religious as an enemy. Whatever region, whatever godling they follow, whatever their particular form of circular logic happens to be.

I was just thinking of the history of perceived offence. Religions have all too often operated a form of police in various societies (UK, Ireland, US, France, Italy, Saudi Arabia where there actually is a formal unit of religious police still).

Wherever there has been any attempt at civil society level in the past to regulate religions the response has always been 'this is religious oppression'.

It may be the oldest form of PR known to the west (and quite possibly also in the east), this instant release of chaff in the form of 'society is doing something we don't agree with therefore it must be stopped'.

Personally, in our own cultural context, I'm hugely in favour of rounding these people up and interning them on some nice windy islands off the west coast.

We could probably secretly film and audio-record them and sell it to the big US networks as a cross between the Hunger Games and Celebrity Jungle or whatever-the-f*ck is currently in vogue.

They's got to be useful for something.

Lagertha

BBC 2 will be showing the series at some stage. If you have Sky they have a facility called "Never Miss" which you can access by logging into your Sky account online, and request a notification as to when it will be on. It's very useful.
In this day and age I don't understand why Amazon Prime viewers in Ireland can't access all the same content as Amazon Prime viewers in Britain.

rainmaker

Administrator
I was just thinking of the history of perceived offence. Religions have all too often operated a form of police in various societies (UK, Ireland, US, France, Italy, Saudi Arabia where there actually is a formal unit of religious police still)
All religions will use the legislature to enforce their belief system & moral code on the rest of us, if given the opportunity.

The only reason they largely no longer do so in Europe is because that opportunity has slowly, & often with great difficulty & church resistance, been wrested from them.

raetsel

In this day and age I don't understand why Amazon Prime viewers in Ireland can't access all the same content as Amazon Prime viewers in Britain.
It might be down to copyright issues, though usually Ireland and the UK are seen as one territory where those are concerned.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Keeping away the filth that inhabits those satanic places from the holy and moderately apostolic shores of Ireland, I should imagine.

Which is always funny.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies