• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Segregation of men and women at University College London debate

bluefirelog

Can't see a thread on this?

University College London (UCL) held a debate last week on Islam or Atheism: Which Makes More Sense? The event was organised by the Islamic Education and Research Academy. University authorities are investigating what happened, where apparently the audience were required to sit in separate sections - men, women and couples. The section for women was at the back of the room.
Read more: Richard Dawkins and Lawrence Krauss shocked by 'sexual apartheid' of Muslim audience at UCL debate | News | The Week UK

Professor Lawrence Krauss, a former advisor to President Obama refused to remain in the room if the organisers insisted on segregation when security staff apparently tried to throw out three men who had gone to sit in the women's section of the audience. A video clip of Professor Krauss is on YouTube.

Lawrence Krauss Walkout Over Gender Segregation at iERA event at UCL - YouTube

Richard Dawkins has said "heads should roll" over the segregation at the event. Krauss has suggested that people should not be afraid to challenge "a vocal and aggressive" section of the Muslim community, while David Aaronovitch of The Times evokes the negative associations of segregation and says that there are lines we as a society must not cross.
This pandering to religion can only harm us | The Times

What do you think?

Last edited:

P Ryan

zoo...

stopdoingstuff

I think those guys need to realize that London is not part of Saudi Arabia and they should adjust their expectations accordingly.

Clanrickard

drummed

I think you spelled President wrong. Do you ever go to college yourself:confused:

Clanrickard

Hitch 22

I think those guys need to realize that London is not part of Saudi Arabia and they should adjust their expectations accordingly.
Or perhaps people should wake up to the fact that a minority but a very influential and extremely sinister minority of Muslims want to introduce Sharia Law in Britain and impose it on all non-Muslims as well as Muslims.

drummed

Edited at 10.27? I rest my case.:)

bluefirelog

I think it's fairly shocking that this would happen at a university debate, given that university is about broadening the mind.

Imagine if it was that people of Jewish origin had to sit separately from people of Christian or Muslim origin.

drummed

Last week a group of Muslim students (very nice chaps) tried to convince me of the way of Islam. They gave up after 20 minutes of me trying to convert them to Catholicism.
Just gave up or actually gave up living?

P Ryan

were the offending students given lashes by the security guards later on as punishment?

drummed

“Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition”
― Timothy Leary

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies