• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Segregation Once Again

RasherHash

Remember when it was cool to support blacks who didn't want to sit down the back of the bus?

Whatever happened to all that?

Nowadays it's becoming fashionable to go to meetings where segregation is again the norm. The above photo won't shock too many people but I am starting this thread to see exactly what people think should be done about such creeping practices?

Should it be okay to allow segregation as long as the parties to the arrangement are happy enough with it?

Should Western societies resist these types of discriminatory practices?

Are they even discriminatory if both men and women accept them?

RasherHash

Not disimilar to how mass was back in the 60s and 70s.
I wonder how people would view it if the church thought it a good idea to go back to that form of mass, what would people's opinion of the CC be? :)

In a word, all hell would break loose, so why isn't there more resistance to this creeping segregation, where are the feminists, the left wing demos?

What other practices will creep in that seem to be antagonistic to democratic and even civil rights norms?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
A real issue by Rasher.

There is hope!

I don't like creeping segregation based on sex, but I'm not sure what we can do about it, other than insisting on not playing the game.

Do you have any suggestions?

Seriously.

Protecting women who refuse to accept such segregration should go without saying of course (though I'm well aware that it doesn't).

Gin Soaked

I can only remember the 70's , but mass was not segregated. Yes, the church was (is) deeply misogynistic, but you must have been in a different country....

Gin Soaked

A real issue by Rasher.

There is hope!

I don't like creeping segregation based on sex, but I'm not sure what we can do about it, other than insisting on not playing the game.

Do you have any suggestions?

Seriously.

Protecting women who refuse to accept such segregration should go without saying of course (though I'm well aware that it doesn't).
What is the context of the meeting pictured in the OP?

Unless it is run by a Mosque, then it is unacceptable.

White Horse

Mass in the 1950's.

Note the poorly observed segregation. You wouldn't find such poor observance in a 21st century mosque.

blinding

Yeah; It used to be mostly that way : I don't say there was regulation but sort of that was the way that it was kind of thingy . The occasional man may sit with the wife but as a youngster this would catch me eye and I'd wonder "whats occurring here"

Any way the last few time i was in the church there was almost no one there and the men were at the back or nearly out the back with loads of room in the church.

The old excuse of no room in the church was long gone.

blokesbloke

Yeah; It used to be mostly that way : I don't say there was regulation but sort of that was the way that it was kind of thingy . The occasional man may sit with the wife but as a youngster this would catch me eye and I'd wonder "whats occurring here"

Any way the last few time i was in the church there was almost no one there and the men were at the back or nearly out the back with loads of room in the church.

The old excuse of no room in the church was long gone.
That's the point though isn't it?

It was expected but not enforced. You might have got the odd tut-tut but you could do it if you wanted to.

It was a convention you could choose to ignore if you wanted to without any real consequences.

That's the difference between a genuine choice and a pretend one, and it's something so many refuse to face up to.

blinding

That's the point though isn't it?

It was expected but not enforced. You might have got the odd tut-tut but you could do it if you wanted to.

It was a convention you could choose to ignore if you wanted to without any real consequences.
Yeah; Convention is the word but I wonder if historically if it was expected.

Maybe older wiser heads could enlighten us ?

Mind you the clergy back in the day did have way too much influence / control.

More than lightly the Muslim clergy will lose their influence/ control as time goes by particularly if their congregations become more and more wealthy.

Wealthy people kind of grow out of religion....maybe money becomes their god.......

What is the context of the meeting pictured in the OP?

Unless it is run by a Mosque, then it is unacceptable.
A friend of mine is a lecturer in the UK.

He has been railing at his employers for years over the fact that certain societies on campus are using university property for meetings at which there is male/female segregation - not simply in terms of seating but in terms of separate entrances also.

blokesbloke

A friend of mine is a lecturer in the UK.

He has been railing at his employers for years over the fact that certain societies on campus are using university property for meetings at which there is male/female segregation - not simply in terms of seating but in terms of separate entrances also.
Ah but the people attending the meeting want it that way.

It's their free choice.

:roll:

blinding

Back in the day an Irish dance hall there used to be females on one side and men on the other.

Then there may even be a charge of the eager/and not so eager brigade.

It was kind of hilarious but also convention.

Their would more often be a semi-orderly queue-filing past and acceptance or rejection.

It was pretty tough to go across on a night that others weren't too keen and be rejected in front of everyone for god knows what reason (perhaps perfectly fair reasons or maybe even some shy girl panicking and not being able to face dancing if the floor was empty).. Can you feel my pain here......when it went wrong it could be a deeply painful experience....I may be a little scarred ......sob sobs sob....

blokesbloke

Wonder what objecting precipitates? And are any secular Societies/ groups affected.
No, no, no. It's their free choice. That's how they all want it. Without exception.

You speak heresy, Sir/Madam!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies