Selection Convention Results

old westie

As a result of the recent FG selection convention for thr Sligo/North leitrim constituency and the lack of political representation from the North Leitrim area on the FG ticket, Im wondering is there much fallout in the north Leitrim area and what the likely consequences will be.

Henlars67

The Blueshirts were giving out f**k on local radio all week and some of them declared their intention not to vote at all, others said that they would never canvass or do any sort of work for FG again and the Ballinagleara branch of FG has apparently folded as a result.

mirtiel

The story here is ComiskeyLeitrim candidate)got a deal from HQ to take a Seanad nomination and stand down, now he is an awful way as he has brought the gang on so far and cast them off.
He would have won the vote but he was frightend of a ticket where he would be playing the runner up to the two big lads.
The Leitrim lads are pissed off and blamimg all the Leitrim Cllrs bar Sean Mc Dermott. Was Comiskey the man or was he FGs answer to Tom Parlon? he says he was a lifetime member but really only joined in 2005 when he finished in IFA!!!!!! So like the cuckoo he wanted the nest to himself.

old westie

The story here is ComiskeyLeitrim candidate)got a deal from HQ to take a Seanad nomination and stand down, now he is an awful way as he has brought the gang on so far and cast them off.
He would have won the vote but he was frightend of a ticket where he would be playing the runner up to the two big lads.
The Leitrim lads are pissed off and blamimg all the Leitrim Cllrs bar Sean Mc Dermott. Was Comiskey the man or was he FGs answer to Tom Parlon? he says he was a lifetime member but really only joined in 2005 when he finished in IFA!!!!!! So like the cuckoo he wanted the nest to himself.
Thanks for the info, it certainly makes for interesting reading as an outsider but if your FG and from N Leitrim well its ************************.
I see today Enda Kenny is telling the Leitrim FG folk " to get on with it " well its easy for him, i would like to see this happen in Mayo.
So this leaves all N Leitrim to SF man from Manorhamilton should help his cause.

hiding behind a poster

Thanks for the info, it certainly makes for interesting reading as an outsider but if your FG and from N Leitrim well its ************************.
I see today Enda Kenny is telling the Leitrim FG folk " to get on with it " well its easy for him, i would like to see this happen in Mayo.
So this leaves all N Leitrim to SF man from Manorhamilton should help his cause.
Or alternatively, the people of North Leitrim could vote on which party they want to see in government, running the country - rather than this ridiculous parochial crap.

Future

Or alternatively, the people of North Leitrim could vote on which party they want to see in government, running the country - rather than this ridiculous parochial crap.
Couldn't agree more.

Comiskey got his chance in 2007 GE election and didn't get elected and Tony McLoughlin is a better candidate.

culmore

what is wrong with putting three on the ticket, if comiskey could get extra votes in leitrem then they be more number 2s to pass on to the other two and help take two seats

old westie

You dont get the point, if these people feel so annoyed by the lack of democracy at convention and dont vote the party line as they claim they will do, well the only winner will be Govt parties.
This election is and should be about change and this situation within FG will implode on themselves.
As regards Parochial crap maybe u should use the toilet !.

old westie

Couldn't agree more.

Comiskey got his chance in 2007 GE election and didn't get elected and Tony McLoughlin is a better candidate.
How do you define better ??
Reading some posts in the sligo window one would wonder.

old westie

donegal bye election

It should now be looking good for Clr Michael Colreavy of SF in the general election in the sligo leitrim constituency, as a result of what happened in the donegal bye election.
Sf are now electable because they are very transferable in the PR system,this previously was their failing

bollox

It should now be looking good for Clr Michael Colreavy of SF in the general election in the sligo leitrim constituency, as a result of what happened in the donegal bye election.
Sf are now electable because they are very transferable in the PR system,this previously was their failing
You can't take the Donegal SW bye election result and use it as a base in other constituencies. The manner in which the bye election was called swung it for Sinn Féin. Don't see Colreavy being elected. McManus got 4,600 first preference and Colreavy will be doing well if he polls about 1000 over it. McManus is a powerhouse name and I don't see the same following transfering directly over to Colreavy.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
You can't take the Donegal SW bye election result and use it as a base in other constituencies. The manner in which the bye election was called swung it for Sinn Féin. Don't see Colreavy being elected. McManus got 4,600 first preference and Colreavy will be doing well if he polls about 1000 over it. McManus is a powerhouse name and I don't see the same following transfering directly over to Colreavy.
There was a row about FG having two Sligo candidates running, it was very public, Leitrim FG not happy as once again Leitrim overlooked and made it public. Therefore, Colreavy may pick up some of the North Leitrim FG vote. A bit skeptical if that will get him through.

butcherboy101

Do Leitrim voters believe that the spliting of lovely leitrim will be an issue at the next election the reason i ask is there were very disgruntaled FFs saying they would resign in numbers if the county was split for electoral purposes,also the recent FG selection convention turned into what can only be described as a joke?

bogtrotter

+1

bollox

Do Leitrim voters believe that the spliting of lovely leitrim will be an issue at the next election the reason i ask is there were very disgruntaled FFs saying they would resign in numbers if the county was split for electoral purposes,also the recent FG selection convention turned into what can only be described as a joke?
The Fianna Fáil party can't do anything about it and had very little to do with the decisions they made at the last electoral changes. Its an independent commission which is dissolved as soon as it makes it's report. However if FG will deliver on their aim to cut 20 TD's I wouldnt be suprised if Sligo Leitrim is re-instated but this time as a 3 seater.

butcherboy101

Thats the problem with so called independent commissions reading into it they seem to have taken the figures on a previous census i personally believe that county boundarys should not be split there is talk now of a 6 seater sligo/leitrim/roscommon constituency
or sligo/nth Leitrim/south Donegal.If Fine gael are serious about reform they might start with the nursing home called the Senad probably cannot understand how this talking shop was let go as long as it did it needs to be abolished not reformed

jackryan

Thats the problem with so called independent commissions reading into it they seem to have taken the figures on a previous census i personally believe that county boundarys should not be split there is talk now of a 6 seater sligo/leitrim/roscommon constituency
or sligo/nth Leitrim/south Donegal.If Fine gael are serious about reform they might start with the nursing home called the Senad probably cannot understand how this talking shop was let go as long as it did it needs to be abolished not reformed
I believe the opposite there needs 2 be a radical rethink of county borders. This idea of every county having a TD is part of the problem. lets take for example I'm a voter in Leitrim which should be more important having a TD from the county or the policies that a party puts forward. And just for those who are saying vote countywise (Who are in the main SFers) in Leitrim does this mean that the people of carlow for example should not vote SF but for a local candidate?

Sue Donim

Spot on - its time this " he/she is from my end of the county/parish/street/park bench, so he/she'll get my vote" stuff was excised from the body politic here in Ireland. The most able, honest, policy driven, unbeholden to interest groups people/party to run this country is what every voter should be looking to vote for when they enter the polling station.

This storm-in-a-tea-cup is simply another example to bolster the argument for a list system here.

Henlars67

Having listened to Tony Mc Loughlin on the Ocean FM debate this morning and having often heard John Perry's media performances, it is clear that Michael Comiskey was without doubt the best potential candidate Fine Gael had.
A terrible own goal by not running him.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies