Self harming on the rise in the UK especially among young women.

silverharp

in a lot of cases its just the far end of emo behaviour, partly fashion and partly boredom. Most grow out of it when they grow up

Crack hoe

I see her sister got some kind of injunction of any future posting of naked pictures that she had had stolen from the cloud.

Last edited:

Rubashov1917

its the out-workings of the long-standing campaign to convince young people that have mental health issues. There would be something wrong with ya if you don't have a mental health issue these days.

silverharp

You do know what post traumatic stress disorder is?
yep but girls cut themselves where there is no genuine PTSD as well , I'd leave it to medical professionals to deal with the serious cases and I doubt closing down social media would be on the cards except for that individual

Bea C

in a lot of cases its just the far end of emo behaviour, partly fashion and partly boredom. Most grow out of it when they grow up
'partly fashion, partly boredom'?
This isn't about colouring your hair with some rinse-out product.

silverharp

Wrong, mental health issues are higher amongst young men.
the beeb just quoted the opposite, male mental problems health falling and girls more than twice as likely to self harm. Then again male suicide is higher no doubt

derryman

Young women at 'highest mental health risk' - BBC News

Could social media be really the principle cause? The article gives other reasons as poor economic opportunity. These shocking numbers for ptsd depression and self harm. These figures must be comparable to ROI.

Time to ban Facebook and its ilk.
Are not secular societies such a wonderful way of life. No hang ups everyone so much happier . The way to go it seems.

GDPR

Could social media be really the principle cause? The article gives other reasons as poor economic opportunity. These shocking numbers for ptsd depression and self harm. These figures must be comparable to ROI.

In a society that not only allows but embraces abortion as an advance, it cannot come as a surprise that young vulnerable people can come to see themselves as completely without value, when being human and uniquely yourself just isn't enough to justify your right to exist at all.

toughbutfair

I think as gender lines get blurred , many young men feel lost and women in general struggle to cope with business pressure . Both genders face new challenges.

TruthInTheNews

I know that there is medical research going on into the links between oral contraceptives and depression but there is no conclusive evidence yet. At any rate most young teenage girls would not be taking contraceptives.

Skypeme

Wrong, mental health issues are higher amongst young men.
Others point to the high level of mental health issues among the LGBT community and we have not even included the angry white men who are voting for Trump or the xenophobic (is this a MH issue?) UK Labour supporters who voted Brexit.

Not forgetting the MH issues among a lunatic fringe who regard "the parents of well-behaved white children" as dangerous right wingers.

Jeez wept!

Dame_Enda

We had no internet in school 20 years ago in my teenage years. Now pupils get bullied on social media. I don't know how I would have coped with that.

Socratus O' Pericles

'partly fashion, partly boredom'?
This isn't about colouring your hair with some rinse-out product.
Absolutely. I would urge anyone not to take as truth anything they read about this pretty complex psychological, spiritual and physical syndrome.

Seek professional help, Therapist, GP, self help group and get personal individually tailored help.

The internet is populated by often wilfully cruel people and one needs to be robust to deal with them. Not all self hammers are so robust.

Here's a couple of websites I would recommend:

What is self-harm? | Inform yourself | ReachOut.com

Introduction - Ireland's Health Service

New Threads

Most Replies