Self indulgence and being confronted by the hind legs of one's own asal.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Been avoiding it actively for years. Never liked the idea of it. Getting up and speaking to a group of people who were allowed to ask questions at the end.

I finally had to bite the public speaking bullet today in front of a group of knowledgeable people in the city and I seem to have got away with it.

Paralysed with nervousness a half hour beforehand. Two espressos and steeling myself to talk to people as they arrived and then the fateful moment after being introduced as some kind of expert and then having to prove it. I understand it is a common fear- standing up and presenting your thoughts and impressions before a group of well informed peers. I'd no way out of it.

I started to enjoy it half way through and started wandering out among the audience and using gesticulations. My vice principal of my school years back and his words ringing in my ears on the last day of school; 'You'll die swinging you will. Mark my words'.

I wonder have I been avoiding it because I knew deep down if I started I'd end up in trouble somehow. Now I have to do a similar thing in London in November in front of 120 well-informed people.

If that goes well I may organise a beer-kellar putsch and I'll brexit everything in sight. Feckin' hell I've a horrible feeling 'll end up with either an MBE or a blindfold on the scaffold.

Public speaking. Your thoughts. I'm wiped out psychologically after doing it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The people who attended had to pay as well to get in. I've been getting a fierce barracking over that- enquiries as to when I'm playing Wembley Arena and that sort of tomfoolery.

Just now thinking about it. I've actually just done a gig. Should I start demanding a certain colour of M&M in the dressing room beforehand.

Keith Richards is never around when you really need him. Probably just as well. I wonder if I get stylish with this will I be afflicted by groupies. I certainly hope so. How does one end up in this sort of situation.

D

Deleted member 34656

Did you use the trick of imagining everyone in the audience in their underwear?

If you did, you're finished ;)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Did you use the trick of imagining everyone in the audience in their underwear?

If you did, you're finished ;)
No I didn't. Although the lady organisers were highly imaginable in fairness. I'm glad that old trick didn't come to mind. I'd rather spend ten minutes or so thinking about that now as you come to mention it.

farnaby

I usually comfort myself with the thought that knowing 5% more than the audience on the topic at hand is sufficient to get away with it.

I was once sent at short notice as a replacement to do a presentation in Africa, to an African audience, on doing business in Africa, despite having never been to Africa before. Bricking it. Converted it to "an outsider's view of doing business in Africa" - got away with it.

statsman

I do this a lot, and you do get used to it. Prepare, prepare, prepare and you'll be fine, and never deliver a talk or presentation that someone else wrote.

Mr. Bumble

Haven't ever been at a meeting but apparently joining Toastmasters is a great way of dealing with presentation anxiety.

petaljam

I do this a lot, and you do get used to it. Prepare, prepare, prepare and you'll be fine, and never deliver a talk or presentation that someone else wrote.
I believe the Republican Party may have an opening for you as coach for one of their people.

(And well done Lumpy, let us know when the diaries are coming out!)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Can't imagine what it would be like to deliver a talk with questions at the end on a subject you are unfamiliar with.

Loathe powerpoint and that style some people have of reading presentations off the slides to an audience who have probably read the slide faster than the presenter can read it.

Went without a powerpoint and had a handout people could take with them at the end instead and got a better interaction with the audience out of it. The boss is addicted to powerpoint and couldn't understand how I proposed to do a talk without slides but I think it worked.

Powerpoint is alright if you have stats to convey I suppose but I'm going to try to work without it in any future talks I have to do.

statsman

I believe the Republican Party may have an opening for you as coach for one of their people.

(And well done Lumpy, let us know when the diaries are coming out!)
He couldn't afford me. :)

Expose the lot of them

Can't imagine what it would be like to deliver a talk with questions at the end on a subject you are unfamiliar with.

Loathe powerpoint and that style some people have of reading presentations off the slides to an audience who have probably read the slide faster than the presenter can read it.

Went without a powerpoint and had a handout people could take with them at the end instead and got a better interaction with the audience out of it. The boss is addicted to powerpoint and couldn't understand how I proposed to do a talk without slides but I think it worked.

Powerpoint is alright if you have stats to convey I suppose but I'm going to try to work without it in any future talks I have to do.
Well done.

I loath powerpoint, as do these people Anti Powerpoint Party

Rural

Well done.

I loath powerpoint, as do these people Anti Powerpoint Party
PowerPoint is over-used and too many depend on it to actually "give" the presentation for them. I used to teach PowerPoint (advanced level) to teachers and I always said this at the beginning of the class. It's great for photos, maps and diagrams, but reading out words (that an audience would have in their notes anyway) makes it PowerPointless.

The toughest audience is a group of teenagers, they know when you're "winging" it and they can spot a spoofer from 50 yards.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think it is the time spent on arranging powerpoint presentations that annoy me. You could have half an office designing slides or even worse realise that the boss is going around demanding loads of unnecessary info just to see whether there is an 'interesting' slide to be got out of it.

There are no interesting slides. If you can't enthuse people by what you have to say then I suppose you should just be sat down and shouldn't be presenting in the first place.

I might respond to future requests for presentations by saying 'I don't use powerpoint because in all honesty my work is too dull for slides'.

Even worse when there are three or four humans collected around a powerpoint screen and they are taking turns reading slides to the audience who can read it perfectly well themselves from where they are seated. If they all hadn't died of boredom ten minutes ago.

It is like some kind of rite of passage. Have powerpoint will travel. They should train the homeless in powerpoint. 'Will powerpoint for food' on their little cardboard signs.

RodShaft

PowerPoint is over-used and too many depend on it to actually "give" the presentation for them. I used to teach PowerPoint (advanced level) to teachers and I always said this at the beginning of the class. It's great for photos, maps and diagrams, but reading out words (that an audience would have in their notes anyway) makes it PowerPointless.

The toughest audience is a group of teenagers, they know when you're "winging" it and they can spot a spoofer from 50 yards.
The slide deck should only ever contain cues for the speaker to deliver his content. Not be a feckin' book in themselves...

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Great when someone has embedded loads of video files and audio all sorts of crap in their powerpoint and it doesn't work and they are standing there sweating buckets and going all red in stuttering about 'well, well, technical issue ha ha, let me describe what's on it to you...'

Don't you want to just stand up and shout at them 'I spent three and a half hours in a freezing airport in the Arctic Circle just to get here today. I'm missing my three year old daughter's birthday and all you can tell me is that you are having technical problems. Are you some kinda ASSH*LE?'

These are the daydreams I mostly have during powerpoint presentations.

Rural

Great when someone has embedded loads of video files and audio all sorts of crap in their powerpoint and it doesn't work and they are standing there sweating buckets and going all red in stuttering about 'well, well, technical issue ha ha, let me describe what's on it to you...'

Don't you want to just stand up and shout at them 'I spent three and a half hours in a freezing airport in the Arctic Circle just to get here today. I'm missing my three year old daughter's birthday and all you can tell me is that you are having technical problems. Are you some kinda ASSH*LE?'

These are the daydreams I mostly have during powerpoint presentations.
I was an audience member when this happened to a "speaker" one time, he hadn't a clue, so two of us fixed it for him, then we discovered that he hadn't a clue about the subject either, we asked a few questions and he eventually had to admit that Fás had hired him to just show the PowerPoint slides, which he hadn't put together either, it was a mess, but he didn't care he got paid for his troubles. One day of my life wasted, needless to say, I didn't go for the second day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies