Sellafield

Bertie's Hat

In the early noughties there was a lot of talk in the Irish political scene about Sellafield, and a campaign to close it down.

I remember a campaign (possibly not long after 9/11) where one could send a "postcard" to Tony Blair and Prince Charles with the slogan "Tony, look me in the eyes and tell me I'm safe". I recall Bono's wife being involved and other well known faces whose names don't spring to mind.

Why did the campaign and the general issue drop off the radar in Ireland?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

The_SR

They won. Windscale was decommissioned.

Levellers

Windscale, called Sellafield now, had the worst British nuclear accident ever and scientific investigation proved that the Irish sea had been contaminated.

The Irish government failed again to take them to task about this.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Thatcher's revenge on all of Haughey's refusal to cooperate on cross-border security.

Niall996

Because the Irish protesting classes just bounce daily from one populist issue to another depending on what catches on. The issues aren't what matters. It's just an excuse to hang out, march, pull birds, feel important, carry signs and shout into bull horns, justify listening to the Doors while thinking you're a 60's style activist 'man.' All BS.

Fritzbox

They won. Windscale was decommissioned.
But that had nothing to do with any protests, surely?
All British Magnox nuclear power stations have been shut down, including Calder Hall in Sellafield. Most of the fuel-reprocessing facilities became irrelevant after a time anyway.

between the bridges

Because the Irish protesting classes just bounce daily from one populist issue to another depending on what catches on. The issues aren't what matters. It's just an excuse to hang out, march, pull birds, feel important, carry signs and shout into bull horns, justify listening to the Doors while thinking you're a 60's style activist 'man.' All BS.
Like repurposing an arch...

The_SR

All British Magnox nuclear power stations have been shut down, including Calder Hall in Sellafield. Most of the fuel-reprocessing facilities became irrelevant after a time anyway.
I'm sure it helped push it up the queue.

Sotired

We’re only just trying to get over Snowmageddon here, and you just decided to remind us of our very close proximity to an all-year-round potential nuclear holocaust.

Thanks so much.

Fritzbox

We’re only just trying to get over Snowmageddon here, and you just decided to remind us of our very close proximity to an all-year-round potential nuclear holocaust.

Thanks so much.
[video=youtube;TLIppgE45wM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM[/video]

the secretary

:lol:

Brilliant post!

Sync

Definitely wasn't a case of them being obsolete or irrelevant. The govts of the day came around to the opinion of the protestors and scientists that it was massively dangerous. The leaks back in 2005 certainly accelerated things.

Nemesiscorporation

Sounds like a very good description of Eamonn Mc Cann in Derry.

Spirit Of Newgrange

oh cmon now. Good 'virtue signalling' can get you all the way to the Presidency.

Dame_Enda

The issue calmed down after the Labour govt started allowing Irish representatives to visit the plant.

I'll say one thing. There must be a reason the UK govt is building these plants on their West coast as opposed to the densely populated east coast. Its not exactly a vote of confidence in its safety.

New Threads

Most Replies