• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Selling the Nation's historical documents for personal gain, just how low can FFers go?

Deep Blue

Looking forward to seeing that sketch on 'The Savage Eye'....

And why would we be surprised ? They've already sold out the whole country from under us, this is just the paperwork.

Now you'd be surprised if you learned that Abe Lincoln had sold The Gettysburg Address...

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

How important is this yoke? It's only a copy and who is going to pay 3000 plus for it? I have seen such like signed papers in museums and my eyes glaze over with boredom. Having said that I suppose it has some limited historical value and since it's owner appears to be a well heeled and highly state pensioned politician the auction of same might raise questions. But then again perhaps he really needs the money. It is his personal property to do with as he pleases. Either way a storm In a teacuP

Last edited:

Howya

Does the copy of the Belfast Agreement not belong to the State? Andrews was there in his capacity representing Ireland, therefore all official papers belong to the nation. If he was selling off personal notes etc then maybe a different story. These papers should be placed in the National Archives.

firefly123

How important is this yoke? It's only a copy and who is going to pay 3000 plus for it? I have seen such like signed papers in museums and my eyes glaze over with boredom. Having said that I suppose it has some limited historical value and since it's owner appears to be a well heeled and highly state pensioned politician the auction of same might raise questions. But then again perhaps he really needs the money. It is his personal property to do with as he pleases. Either way a storm In a teacuP
Do you only like looking at the skeletons and nudey paintings ;)

Clanrickard

How important is this yoke? It's only a copy and who is going to pay 3000 plus for it? I have seen such like signed papers in museums and my eyes glaze over with boredom.

Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match.
Karl Kraus

Marcos the black

How does Andrews "own" this document? How did that happen?

VoteFFno1

Website
www.fiannafail.ie
What do the Gardai have to say about this?

Marcos the black

What do the Gardai have to say about this?
Has an official complaint been lodged? Sounds like something you could do.... You know, seeing as how ye are FF Nua now not the old FF.

ruserious

Like a soldier does not own his uniform, I have a feeling the State owns this document.

Expose the lot of them

Yet another reminder, if such were needed, of what an ignorant, hungry shower the ffers are. According to the article

"A spokesman for Whyte’s auctioneers and valuers said the company had been “sworn to secrecy” about the identity of the document’s owner but The Irish Times has established that it belongs to Mr Andrews. He declined to comment yesterday.". Now why would that be? A sense of shame? Unlikely..

I am of the opinion that this document belongs to the Nation, however, I would expect Whyte's to establish that the seller owns the document and is entitled to sell it.

"The document is guiding at €3,000-€5,000 and is described by Whyte’s as “of extreme scarcity” and “an excellent opportunity to acquire one of Ireland’s most historically important documents”".

Is he really that short of money? with his pension I would have thought he would hand on to it for a few more years until it is likely to command a higher price.

FakeViking

Does anyone remember how much this guy was paid for his "service" as chairman of the Irish Red Cross?

The Field Marshal

Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match.
Karl Kraus
If I had the money I would purchase this document. I would then destroy it. Then there would be one less piece of useless paper on the planet and I would have had the satisfaction of deeply annoying petty historians .

Mushroom

I'm delighted to see that this this thread has been opened.

I didn't think that I could despise the arrogant, loathsome, mercenary fraud David Andrews any more - a man who had the nerve to seek a sizable honorarium for his time as Chair of the Irish Red Cross - but he's just shown us all that, if you scrape off the mud and grime at the bottom of the Andrews' family septic tank, you'll find a lower level made up of pure sh1t.

Last edited:

Mushroom

Does anyone remember how much this guy was paid for his "service" as chairman of the Irish Red Cross?
I would really love to tell you. Instead, let me simply remind you that the Irish Red Cross is one of the very few taxpayer-funded (partially) bodies that are still not covered by the Freedom of Information Act.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies