Sen. McCain on the IRA

Neutral

As quoted in the Washington Post in his address to the American Ireland Fund at their dinner in his honour, attended by the five McCartney sisters.

"No one can honestly claim the IRA is anything better than an organized crime syndicate that steals and murders to serve its members' personal interests," he said. "There's nothing republican about the Irish Republican Army."

Very well said, don't you think?

Collinsite

here here! America is waking up to what the IRA is.Hopefully the funding will also stop

CJH

"There's nothing republican about the Irish Republican Army". I wonder what his definition of republican is?! Seriously though, he's absolutely right.

Neutral

As an Irish Republican I'd agree with his words entirely.

I think he's clued in and knows exactly what it means for him to say that.

TertiumQuid

Collinsite said:
here here! America is waking up to what the IRA is.
My dear Watson - it appears that that pain in my foot has been caused by an African elephant! Do you see it? Just there, yes, standing on my foot. Must have been there since lunch. How odd... Mrs Hudson!

ireland2004

This has been brought up in another thread and there is no need for a topic on it by itself.

Neutral

I think it makes sense to have a specific thread for a specific part of an issue, rather than emalgamating all the various elements into a single 20-page block of confusing text as a single thread.

popper

"I think he's clued in and knows exactly what it means for him to say that."

He certainly knows more about mass terror against innocent civilians having been a participant in the US war on the people of Vietnam, and a leading advocate of the current adventure in Iraq.

I'd say he's a total expert on Ireland. Watch out for the naplam in Crossmaglen!

willy_wallace

Neutral said:
I think it makes sense to have a specific thread for a specific part of an issue, rather than emalgamating all the various elements into a single 20-page block of confusing text as a single thread.
"There's nothing republican about the u.s republican party. it's nothing more than an organised crime syndicate. recent revelations of involvement in israel, iraq and continued punishment beatings in guantanamo bay convince me of this. They cannot keep referring to their democratic mandate to justify this"

Willy Wallace 18.03.2005

equally plausable methinks, 'cept the Irish Republican movement ain't done anything of the sort

willy_wallace

watch-this-drive said:
recent revelations of involvement in israel,
What revelations in Israel?
[quote:bq8lip1r]
continued punishment beatings in guantanamo bay convince me of this.
What continued punishment beatings?[/quote:bq8lip1r]

"recent revelations in israel", i'm using the language of conspiracy used against sf, e.g. spyrings etc. u.s involvement is a lot more blatant. for gods sake, supplying of military hardware, backing up the military when they do the most horrific things etc. etc. etc.

the u.s don't beat ppl in guantanamo??. yeah right. :roll:

NJP

He certainly knows more about mass terror against innocent civilians having been a participant in the US war on the people of Vietnam, and a leading advocate of the current adventure in Iraq.

I'd say he's a total expert on Ireland. Watch out for the naplam in Crossmaglen!

Nice one popper

"There's nothing republican about the u.s republican party. it's nothing more than an organised crime syndicate. recent revelations of involvement in israel, iraq and continued punishment beatings in guantanamo bay convince me of this. They cannot keep referring to their democratic mandate to justify this"

LOL willy_wallace

'Well clued up' - like hell. Only a moron who doesn't know what he's talking about comes out with that crap.

NJP

I was referring to Senator McCain in the last sentence of my previous post.

Gladstone

Must be great to live in an imaginary world where everyone who disagrees with you is either stupid or part of a conspiracy.

Kerrygold

Gladstone said:
Must be great to live in an imaginary world where everyone who disagrees with you is either stupid or part of a conspiracy.
Not so great when you can see people being fooled by all the bullshite.

Gladstone

Well I'm trying to talk about the issues (other threads) but some on this board seem more interested in going around in circles in a never ending slagging match, I admit it's more fun than talking about the real issues but it's pretty much all been said at this stage.

The way I see it the IRA needs to disarm and slowly go away, but that won't happen unless the loyalists do the same and the police reforms come about as they won't leave nationalist areas vaunerable, and, since they think they are an army, will want British demilitarisation in parallel with their own disarmament.

So about 1000 times we've said what we want (armed groups gone) and never talk about creating the circumstances to make that happen.

Harpey

He has certainly gone up in my esteem. I'm a little regretful that he never got the Republican nomination. He is a respected and powerful member of the republican movement. I think his head is screwed on well and that it is about time that this sort of thing was stated publicly.

DOD

Quite Frankly, I give about as much of a damn about John McCain's opinion of SF as he does of his role in the Vietnam war, a sinister exercise in perceived moral supremacy. The man has always said he wasn't happy with SF, so this isn't surprising. Fair Play to Pete King. I may not like his social views but at least he stands by the republican movement.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies