Senator David Norris and Leo Varadkar: "The Media Lie, Lie and Lie again"

Kilbarry

Extract from Debate in Seanad Eireann 4 July 2018

Senator David Norris:
..I refer to comments the Taoiseach made in New York about the media. He was perhaps a little ill-advised to align his views with those of President Trump but when he said the media was not interested in the truth but in the story he was 100% right. I laughed when I heard them all twittering and screaming on RTÉ radio this morning about it. It was a complete nonsense. The media get into hysteria at the slightest criticism of them. From my experience, they lie and lie and lie again. [My emphasis] During the presidential election RTÉ, the national broadcaster, allowed a woman to say on air that I advocated parents having sex with their own children. The Sun newspaper said I abused the Seanad to get passports for lovers. Both were absolutely damnable lies and I could give the House 20 or 30 other lies. They were not interested in the truth; they were interested in the story and they did not give a damn if they lied. I am one of the few people prepared to stand up and say this. I know the media will gut me over it but that is the way they behave. I have to laugh at them getting into a hysterical twitter because the Taoiseach said they are interested in the story and not the truth. The other thing is he said it at a private lunch. There is no such thing as a private lunch nowadays because people have their telephones out and they are recording and filming and all the rest of it. It is all right for somebody like me who does not give a damn what he says because I always try to tell the truth and I do not care whether it goes down well or badly.....

David Norris was wrong in one respect. The media are not "gutting" him over it. I wonder why not?

Levellers

What upset Norris was being called out for facilitating the rape of a Palestinian child and advocating pederasty. Both of which were true.

fifilawe

the media join a long list of liars: the church leaders, the bankers, the politicians, the top brass in the GS, list of people found out in Tribunals to be insincere, David Norris is simply stating what is the bleeding obvious.Organisations/people in position who stand to lose power and position/earnings will lie all the time as it is par for the course to get into the top echelons of anything one "fabricates /embellishes details" .

Kilbarry

Bit of "pot, kettle and black" methinks.............
I would say that one reason the media are not gutting him is that basically they regard him as one of their own. If Senator Ronan Mullen said the same thing there would be uproar but David Norris is forgiven - although he is telling the truth about our malignant journalists and broadcasters!

Kilbarry

David Norris was wrong in one respect. The media are not "gutting" him over it. I wonder why not?
I had to go to the Seanad debates to find out exactly what D Norris said. When googling the subject, all I could locate was a report on KFM radio (Kildare) that is supposed to be quoting Norris but the 13 second audio extract they link to, has nothing to do with this issue
Listen: David Norris Says The Media "Lie And Lie And Lie, Again." | Kfm Radio
Listen: David Norris Says The Media "Lie And Lie And Lie, Again."

The audio extract is about sex education and it is definitely NOT Norris who is speaking. The media seem to want to brush THIS controversy under the carpet!

owedtojoy

the media join a long list of liars: the church leaders, the bankers, the politicians, the top brass in the GS, list of people found out in Tribunals to be insincere, David Norris is simply stating what is the bleeding obvious.Organisations/people in position who stand to lose power and position/earnings will lie all the time as it is par for the course to get into the top echelons of anything one "fabricates /embellishes details" .
I am not sure why healthy scepticism is so under-rated.

We should treat all "news" cautiously and with scepticism. Some things we are told turn out to be true, others not, others are presently subtly to blur the distinction.

Critical thinking, to make sure our prejudices are just not being pandered to, is a skill that should be taught in school.

"The only security of all is in a free press. The force of public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It is necessary, to keep the waters pure." --Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. ME 15:491

"Our citizens may be deceived for awhile, and have been deceived; but as long as the presses can be protected, we may trust to them for light." --Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart. 1799.

Catalpast

Extract from Debate in Seanad Eireann 4 July 2018

Senator David Norris:
..I refer to comments the Taoiseach made in New York about the media. He was perhaps a little ill-advised to align his views with those of President Trump but when he said the media was not interested in the truth but in the story he was 100% right. I laughed when I heard them all twittering and screaming on RTÉ radio this morning about it. It was a complete nonsense. The media get into hysteria at the slightest criticism of them. From my experience, they lie and lie and lie again. [My emphasis] During the presidential election RTÉ, the national broadcaster, allowed a woman to say on air that I advocated parents having sex with their own children. The Sun newspaper said I abused the Seanad to get passports for lovers. Both were absolutely damnable lies and I could give the House 20 or 30 other lies. They were not interested in the truth; they were interested in the story and they did not give a damn if they lied. I am one of the few people prepared to stand up and say this. I know the media will gut me over it but that is the way they behave. I have to laugh at them getting into a hysterical twitter because the Taoiseach said they are interested in the story and not the truth. The other thing is he said it at a private lunch. There is no such thing as a private lunch nowadays because people have their telephones out and they are recording and filming and all the rest of it. It is all right for somebody like me who does not give a damn what he says because I always try to tell the truth and I do not care whether it goes down well or badly.....

I always thought he was the darling of the Irish Media :cool:

- now he is claiming they shafted Him....:|

Kilbarry

David Norris defended Leo Varadkar AND Sister Stan!

I always thought he was the darling of the Irish Media :cool:

- now he is claiming they shafted Him....:|
I am no admirer of David Norris but to give him his due he also protested against the obscene media campaign directed against Sister Stanislaus Kennedy in 1999 by Mary Raftery and the Irish Times among many others.

Seanad Debates: 12 May 1999

.... I did not see "States of Fear" last night. I had a longstanding commitment to talk in a secondary school about James Joyce. However, I was astonished by the 8 o'clock news broadcast. I have heard everything now that I have heard Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy being put in the witness box. The Irish people owe Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy a profound apology for dumping the problems of society on her lap. If anybody deserves a vote of thanks it is Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy. I have known her for many years and I would lay down my life that she is an honourable, decent good women who did things and took up subjects nobody else in the State was prepared to touch.

I worked with the gay community 20 years ago and I knew under-age boys were in prostitution on the Dublin quays but I could not deal with anybody under the age of 16 in a programme because I knew well what would happen. I would have been excoriated by the same journalists who are now looking for victims to pillory on the front pages. When it comes to attacking someone like Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy, it is time to call a halt before we get into a nasty, inquisitorial system in which we are looking for villains. We should be careful. When we get to really grilling someone like Sr. Stanislaus Kennedy, we ought to stand back and ask if we want an inquisition and must we have villains. I find it sickening that people who en masse stood back and did nothing are now looking for villains instead of trying to heal the problems of the victims.....

Defending Leo Varadkar and defending Sister Stanislaus against lying media assaults. There is a connection in that both are "liberals". I do give Norris credit but I think that these were unique interventions on his part.

Last edited:

Gin Soaked

Lying takes many forms. I am more concerned by overly PC media failing to call out certain minorities for thuggery and intimidation and also for failing to report the true costs of SW supports across all departments and the money paid to quangos with no tangible benefits to taxpayers or society.

Kilbarry

I lobbed this thread out on a Sunday night

http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-presidential-election-2011/161883-will-david-norriss-views-ephebophilia-issue.html

It ended up on Liveliine the next day - and bye bye Norris from the Presidential campaign

Cyp
As I recall the controversy in 2011, John Waters was editor (or something) in Magill when David Norris submitted his original article and advised him to change it because it was sure to attract hostile comment but Norris insisted that they go ahead and publish it as it was. BUT surprise, surprise, David Norris was a golden boy who could do no wrong so avoided criticism until many years later when he stood for President. Being "liberal" does not make one COMPLETELY immune to media attack but it definitely helps!

Herr Rommel

Norris is an old school homosexual who is happy to blur the lines between pedophille behaviour and homosexual love.

Over the next few years as the liberals will attempt to make pedophille behaviour a normal part of society we can expect Norris to be a leading light in any such movement.

fergal1790

Norris is a spectacular cúnt when it comes to running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

He was the centre of attention during the election campaign and was very critical of the many media outlets where his paedophilia and his disability payments swindling was even mentioned yet several weeks later he was on a full colour 4 page spread in a Sunday paper telling readers about how he had travelled the world as an ambassador for Ireland eating at the best and most expensive restaurants and flying first class as well as staying in the most expensive hotels and country clubs and dining at the most exclusive clubs etc, No expense spared! and all on the Irish taxpayers schilling!

Basically he told the nation that we wined him and dined him and even 69'd him on more than one occasion I would imagine!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Norris is pulling a Donald Trump here

I phrased my OP cautiously, so as to give him an appropriate opportunity to clarify

He then went...weird
http://www.politics.ie/forum/irish-presidential-election-2011/161883-will-david-norriss-views-ephebophilia-issue.html

younger it would most certainly have appealed to me in the sense that I would have greatly relished the prospect of an older, attractive, mature man taking me under his wing, lovingly introducing me to sexual realities, and treating me with affection and teaching me about life - yes, I think that would be lovely; I would have enjoyed that."...

"But I think there is complete and utter hysteria about this subject, and there is also confusion between ... paedophilia and pederasty..."[David Norris clarified this later, explaining that genital sexual penetration of juveniles of either sex would be inappropiate and harmful]...
Cyp

Degeneration X

Norris is a spectacular cúnt when it comes to running with the fox and hunting with the hounds.

He was the centre of attention during the election campaign and was very critical of the many media outlets where his paedophilia and his disability payments swindling was even mentioned yet several weeks later he was on a full colour 4 page spread in a Sunday paper telling readers about how he had travelled the world as an ambassador for Ireland eating at the best and most expensive restaurants and flying first class as well as staying in the most expensive hotels and country clubs and dining at the most exclusive clubs etc, No expense spared! and all on the Irish taxpayers schilling!

Basically he told the nation that we wined him and dined him and even 69'd him on more than one occasion I would imagine!
Norris is a swilled eyed loon who is also a weakling who can't handle any criticism. Any time he is called out on his BS he responds with a law suit, a sure sign of an elitist who hates freedom of speech, press and expression but what can you expect from a man who has cocooned himself in a Joycean fantasy world his whole life.

New Threads

Most Replies