• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Senator Fintan Warfield: "Hunger Strikers Died for Gay Rights"

Polybius

We all know that the Provos are trying to rewrite their violent history but this is taking the piss entirely.

Some non-entity called Fintan Warfield (who is a Senator apparently) has claimed that gay rights and gay marriage were a foremost concern of the IRA prisoners on hunger strike in the H-block. In a speech to commemorate the Hunger Strikes, the young Senator stated that the IRA wanted "queer representation from the cells of Long Kesh" and that "the key to gay and lesbian liberation lies in the success of our national liberation struggle". These claims are bizarre for several reasons, especially when one considers that homosexuality was illegal in ROI at the time of the hunger strikes while it was legal in the UK. Also, I don't remember the IRA/SF claiming any bombing or shooting was carried out in the name of gay rights. Have SF jumped the shark in their attempt to win the soft left liberal vote?

Senator Warfield is Sinn Fein's spokesperson on "LGBTQI rights".

Hunger strikers died for gay rights, claims Sinn Fein senator Fintan Warfield - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

https://twitter.com/fintanwarfield

Last edited:

Betson

It is up there with Frances Fitzgerald's assertion that Michael Collins was fighting for feminism as much he was fighting for Ireland.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
I'm sure like all prison there was a little bit of man on man love going on - maybe that's what he's getting at!

Dub01

Those lads died fighting for something they believed in. Seems a bit crass to mock them on this poxy forum.

GDPR

They died for the Five Demands. Thats it. There is a context to that but its not anything to do with Gay Rights. Homosexuality was illegal in both parts at the time and I dont they gave much thought one way or the other.

Dub01

It's the opportunist Senator who is mocking them.
They died in a search for freedom. I have no doubt that Bobby Sands would have wanted gay people to have a share of that freedom.

Dub01

Dub01

They died because of their political beliefs, but they died FOR the five demands.
They died in their bid to be treated as political prisoners, which they were.

ergo2

Polybius

Perhaps he should stick to the music until he has learned some history.
I wonder what rubbish he'll come out with next. The Enniskillen bombing was about repealing the 8th amendment perhaps?

stopdoingstuff

I really hate politicians sometimes. This is moronic and utterly cheapens the sacrifice of the hunger strikers. Surely if there was any contemporary cause to which their struggle is related, it is the obesity crisis.

Dub01

I really hate politicians sometimes. This is moronic and utterly cheapens the sacrifice of the hunger strikers. Surely if there was any contemporary cause to which their struggle is related, it is the obesity crisis.
They are remembered as heroes. How will you be remembered?

automaticforthepeople

I remember very well marching in support of the hunger strikers. They campaigned for 5 demands;
1. the right not to wear a prison uniform;
2. the right not to do prison work;
3. the right of free association with other prisoners, and to organise educational and recreational pursuits;
4. the right to one visit, one letter and one parcel per week;
5. The right to full restoration of remission lost through the protest.

As far as I recall the protesters carried black flags, not pink flags. I never remember the meetings being addressed on the issue of gay rights but I also never recall the protestors being "entertained" by The Wolfe Tones. They were all accounts too busy and booked out in those days.

Dub01

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies