• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Senator : I cheat on my expenses" - FF Senator Labhras O'Murchu

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Front page of today's Daily Mail....

A Senator has admitted pocketing the "subtantial" difference between his overnight expenses and the cheap B&B he uses.
Fianna Fail Senator Labhras O'Murchu has told the Irish Daily Mail that he gets charged €50 a night to stay in Dublin, and claims €125 in expenses for each night he is in the city attending the Oireachtas.

O'Murchu, who's been a Senator for 13 years, is also Director-General of Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, it's in accomodation provided for by this organisation in Monkstown that he avails of at €50 a night. He told the Mail he pays the same as anyone else for the accommodation.

The Daily Mail says it believes that the Tipperary-based politician could be collecting more than €7500 tax free each year as a result of the practice.

Daily Mail said:
For staying at the centre 99 times a year, Mr O'Murchu would have paid out €4950 for accommodation whilst receiving €12,474 tax free.

cricket

The case for closure of the senate is being made more strongly every day , by the senate.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
This particular fiddle is the same across the entire PS

Fixed rate overnight expenses are silly, you should just submit your receipts

Also... he has of course admitted a tax breach here

cYp

TheMushyStuff

That maths is simple: €7,500 * 13 = €97,500
or if you want to look at the other way: €12,474 * 13 = €162,162.

Either way we want the money back, every single cent!

loner

It is milking the system but then the system is so constructed that this is possible without breaking the rules----there needs to be a fundamental reform of the system so that only expenses incurred can be paid and these expenses should be capped at a reasonable level.The sooner this useless establishment is abolished the better.

Ger Nalist

same old same old

This is not surprising. This is the core issue with unvouched/allowance type expenses. The amount provided doesn't always match the amount of the expense.

Why don't the houses of the oireachtas put out a tender for hotels in the main Dublin city area to supply hotel rooms for TDs/senators etc for a fixed price. TDs and senators could then have a choice of a set number of hotels and everytime they stay in them the oireachtas could pay the set amount. I am sure they could get a very low set rate given how hotels are currently in need of business.

This way they would remove the need to refund/pay oireachtas members. It would also allow an end to the situation where expenses are used by some TDs and senators to cover mortgages or the renting of apartments etc

hammer

This is not surprising. This is the core issue with unvouched/allowance type expenses. The amount provided doesn't always match the amount of the expense.

Why don't the houses of the oireachtas put out a tender for hotels in the main Dublin city area to supply hotel rooms for TDs/senators etc for a fixed price. TDs and senators could then have a choice of a set number of hotels and everytime they stay in them the oireachtas could pay the set amount. I am sure they could get a very low set rate given how hotels are currently in need of business.

This way they would remove the need to refund/pay oireachtas members. It would also allow an end to the situation where expenses are used by some TDs and senators to cover mortgages or the renting of apartments etc
In the Senate, working for FAS, it is all the same.

Maximise the amount you make at the expense of the exchequer.

Too late now. They killed the golden goose.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I think this system is wrong, but the public have to accept that they thought this sort of indulgence was fine and dandy when election came around over the last few decades and they continued to elect people who had designed and used it.

hammer

We get what we deserve. Any muppets that voted Bertie Ahern and are paying the price now should look at their own conscience first. The Drumcondra Mafia were running this country for 12 years :)

If you are struggling and vote Fianna Fail, keep voting Fianna Fail as things will no doubt improve in 10 years perhaps :)

jmcc

The argument for the deletion of the Seanad and the proscription of FF (it now seems to be nothing more than a racketeering influenced corrupt organisation) is growing stronger.

Regards...jmcc

borntorum

The case for closure of the senate is being made more strongly every day , by the senate.
+1

A pointless waste of money. It probably also contributes to the melting of the Alpine glaciers with all the hot air it emits

Tomas Mor

While its only quoting the paper,One needs to be careful here, I heard him say on radio today that he is taking legal action against the paper. I always thought he had a flat for himself and wife in the Culturlann. If he gets the amount and only has to pay E50 he may be ok. He could decide to stay in Buswells if he wanted.

Last edited:
Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Indeed Tomas, this is a piece from today's Indo.

Meanwhile, another Fianna Fail senator last night hit out at "malicious" rumours being spread about him living in Dublin, while claiming expenses from Co Tipperary.

Fianna Fail Senator Labhras O Murchu said last night he stays in communal accommodation owned by Comhaltas Ceoltoiri Eireann while attending the Seanad.

"I live in Cashel. Some nights I stay in Comhaltas and I pay for it. We have 26 accommodation units there. I paid €5,000 last year for the nights I stayed there," he said. "I am absolutely meticulous and scrupulous. There is absolutely no basis for the story," he said.
There don't seem to be any such allegations being made by the Daily Mail about living in Tipp - it says he expenses an overnight allowance of €126 when he stays in Dublin for €50 a night.

hammer

Am I right in saying that the civil service subsistence rates "unvouched" can be used as a guide by the private sector. If this is the case some claims may need to be adjusted upwards. Stay in a B&B costing €30 per night. Claim €125 per night against your taxes.

Income tax take will plummet. I`m backdating my claims. Happy Days :)

Beaker

Superb suggestion

hammer

Just checked the subsistence rates

From March 5, 2009 the overnight rate is €108.99 which covers you for lunch, evening meal & accomodation. Presumably a full Irish breakfast also.

This rate had been higher previously as the Government cut the rates to civil servants by 25% :)

davdvn

fair play to those hard working lads and lassies.
they deserve every penny they can scrounge out of the gombeens and gobsh1tes, that re-elected them and their ilk.
we would all be doing it if we could.

blinding

If youse keep voting for politicians that alow this type of stuff why would they change their way.

If you keep on doing the same old things in the same old ways, surprise surprise you get the same old results.

Eurocitizen

I am looking forward to the Sunday papers;)