• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Senator James Heffernan set to resign from Labour Party

Grey Area

Eamon Gilmore and James Heffernan

Impeccable sources within the Labour Party advise Grey Area that Senator James Heffernan is set to resign the Labour Party whip as early as next week. He will be the first Labour Senator to resign since the party entered the coalition Government with Fine Gael. Senator James Heffernan is currently the Labour Party Spokesperson on Transport, Tourism and Sport in Seanad Éireann.

Sources also suggest that Senator John Kelly is said to be considering resigning the Labour Party whip. If Senator Kelly also walks the pressure will surely build for a challenge to Eamon Gilmore's leadership of the Labour Party.

Senator James Heffernan (born 3 October 1979) is an Irish Labour Party politician. He was elected to the 24th Seanad in April 2011 on the Agricultural Panel. He was previously a member of Limerick County Council from 2009–11 for the Kilmallock area. He was an unsuccessful candidate at the 2011 general election for the Limerick constituency, polling 7,910 first preference votes (17.5%). He was also a candidate at 2007 general election for the Limerick West constituency. He is a primary school teacher by profession.

Broken vows: Gilmore in trouble as TDs rebel over Budget

Senator James Heffernan » Home Page

James Heffernan (Irish politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYCKY

What according to your sources are his reason(s) for resigning?

jmcc

So another make-believe politician from a make-believe party resigns and we, the people, are meant to be impressed? What about all the good little Labour troughers in the Dail - did any of them have pangs of conscience or are they all too busy with their snouts in the public purse? The Stickies have destroyed Labour just as surely as they did every other party they infected.

Grey Area

What according to your sources are his reason(s) for resigning?
To try a force a leadership challenge as he believes the Labour Party will be annihilated at the next election if it continues down the road it's going.

jmcc

To try a force a leadership challenge as he believes the Labour Party will be annihilated at the next election if it continues down the road it's going.
But will it actually change anything? Are the other Labourites too well bought off to bother with forcing a leadership challenge?

Grey Area

But will it actually change anything? Are the other Labourites too well bought off to bother with forcing a leadership challenge?
I have no idea if it will change anything. Joan Burton and Roisin Shortall's names are being openly mentioned as possible successors. The one sure thing that I do know is the Labour Party is at war with itself.

Eoin Coir

senators dont matter, all will be gone soon. Its TDs elected by people that matter.

NYCKY

Fair enough but the party has lost two junior ministers and some TDs. I don't see a Senator providing the critical mass to force a leadership challenge.

Davidoff

I've literally never heard of the guy before.

Still, it's interesting situation. There's an almost palpable sense of Labour being close to the edge.

Grey Area

senators dont matter, all will be gone soon. Its TDs elected by people that matter.
Maybe they don't matter but it does not give the impression of good leadership if TD's and now Senators are resigning from the Labour Party. Sinking ship mentality maybe?

Grey Area

Fair enough but the party has lost two junior ministers and some TDs. I don't see a Senator providing the critical mass to force a leadership challenge.
I agree. Although If more Senators follow the situation may change. You also have to be mindful of the self preservation issue.

Last edited:

nicht besonders

Unless quite a few TDs do something, obscure senators and MEPs can do and say all they want.

stopdoingstuff

Well, what did he think would happen? How did he think things were going to play out? Fair play to him for doing the decent thing, but how could he not know in advance that there would be savage cuts on the way?

jmcc

I have no idea if it will change anything. Joan Burton and Roisin Shortall's names are being openly mentioned as possible successors. The one sure thing that I do know is the Labour Party is at war with itself.
Burton is part of the problem and Shortall is not much better. They are both yesterday's people and Labour needs younger people if it is to have any future. The troughers all have one foot in the political grave and most of them seem more interested in their pensions than in the Irish people or the Labour Party.

Last edited:

Grey Area

I've literally never heard of the guy before.

Still, it's interesting situation. There's an almost palpable sense of Labour being close to the edge.
A real sense of hopelessness and rage is abound within the Labour Party.

Eoin Coir

never heard of the chap before. What did he ever say about anything ?

Grey Area

Burton is part of the problem and Shortall is not much better. They are both yesterday's people and Labour needs younger people if it is to have any future. The troughers are all have one foot in the political grave and most of them seem more interested in their pensions than in the Irish people or the Labour Party.
I have no opinion on Burton or Shortall just that they are names being mentioned. As for the rest of your post the views you express are shared by most non Ministerial members of the Labour Party. Gilmore, Rabbitte and Howlin's names are muck within the party.

nicht besonders

I wish the party would do something about them if that's the case.

jmcc

I have no opinion on Burton or Shortall just that they are names being mentioned. As for the rest of your post the views you express are shared by most non Ministerial members of the Labour Party. Gilmore, Rabbitte and Howlin's names are muck within the party.
Yep but the problem is that doing the right thing means less to them than safeguarding their salaries. So unless evidence of some kind of collective spine is discovered in Labour, it is on the road to electoral oblivion like the PDs.

Grey Area

Yep but the problem is that doing the right thing means less to them than safeguarding their salaries. So unless evidence of some kind of collective spine is discovered in Labour, it is on the road to electoral oblivion like the PDs.
I agree 100%. It will be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.

Popular Threads

Most Replies