• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Senator Ronan Mullen confirms Senate should be abolished

Should the Seanad be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

patronsaint

Bull***** ed his way through an interview on RTE news at one just there where he tried to justify his poor voting record. The whole place is a luxury we can't afford.

kvof

Continuing from George Lee's rant on last night's Week in Politics ?
Is that FG policy now ?

DCon

Continuing from George Lee's rant on last night's Week in Politics ?
Is that FG policy now ?
If not, it should be.

Our cost of government needs to drastically reduce.

Cogadh

Seanad needs to be reformed not abolished.

dmc444

It should be abolished, it doesnt serve any useful purpose.

If you want to have a second chamber, then make sure it is elected by the people of the nation. Perhaps we have 3 senators from each province and three from Dublin, I would also support having a Sentor for the Irish immigrants, Italy and France have this system and i think maybe a Sentor representing N.I as well.

But if it isnt going to be changed then we should get rid of it.

Whatuwant2007

maybe if he respected it more and voted on the bills before the Seanad he wouldn't think it was a waste of space...

Ulster-Lad

It should be abolished, it doesnt serve any useful purpose.

If you want to have a second chamber, then make sure it is elected by the people of the nation. Perhaps we have 3 senators from each province and three from Dublin, I would also support having a Sentor for the Irish immigrants, Italy and France have this system and i think maybe a Sentor representing N.I as well.

But if it isnt going to be changed then we should get rid of it.
I like the American way of it better. 2 Senators from each of the counties in Ireland, elected by the people.

Chrisco

Ronan Mullen needs to be abolished.

juanpablo

I like the American way of it better. 2 Senators from each of the counties in Ireland, elected by the people.

God no! we need to take the parish pump out of Irish politics. I personally feel the Seanad should be abolished but if its kept let people vote for their senators in a national list system.

Catholic fundy & Islam hater Ronan Mullen is a reason on its own for Seanad reform.

Fairplay

Ronan Mullen probably has difficulty getting to votes because he is also holding down a full-time lecturing job at Trinity - nice work if you can get it - lecturers salary and €70,000 plus expenses for the senate. His two state jobs are conveniently located close together so he can walk between them.

Surely senators should be docked pay for not attending votes unless they produce a sick cert?

Anyone know Ivana Bacik's voting record - she too has a Trinity full-time Gig and also works at the Bar. She cant be there much now with the bye election.

dmc444

God no! we need to take the parish pump out of Irish politics. I personally feel the Seanad should be abolished but if its kept let people vote for their senators in a national list system.

Catholic fundy & Islam hater Ronan Mullen is a reason on its own for Seanad reform.
I agree, I think if the Senate was based on national politicians with big constituencies we would get a better approach to legislation.

Mullen is not a lecturer in TCD. He lectures in some polytechnic in Blanchardstown. However, I take your point. Time of this waste of space to be shut down. Same for the Seanad.

Perhaps if Mullen wasn't mouthing off so much in his column in the Irish Daily Mail he might have time to turn up. Hang on a minute - has anyone ever seen Breda O'Brien and Ronan Mullen in the same room?

Something rotten in the state of Ireland: an upper house that cries out for reform

adamirer

confirms??? i think not.
I personally think it should be abolished and not replaced. The idea of a 2nd house is a throwback to copying other countires. It serves no real purpose.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Bull***** ed his way through an interview on RTE news at one just there where he tried to justify his poor voting record. The whole place is a luxury we can't afford.
I think this merely shows why people should have voted for me instead, :D!

fergalr

Yeah... Dublin with over one million people gets the same representation as Leitrim with about forty thousand. That might have worked in the U.S Consitutional Convention and generally in federal republics, but I don't know what you'd have to put in the water to get Dubs to vote Yes on that. Unless we also get a choice to vote on secession ;)

Rocky

One point that needs to be made is most of the attacks made on the Seanad can be made on the Dail. Leaving aside Leaders Questions, which gives the opposition a chance to hold the government to account, everything else it does is largely pointless.

Every single piece of legislation goes through exactly as the government wants it to. Every opposition amendment is rejected and the government wins every vote. It is largely a talking shop, exactly the same as the Seanad. Mullen is right, there is very little point in wasting his time going to vote. He will achieve as much watching TV.

The Seanad can play a useful role. It can be a place where experts sit who won't give their full time to politics or do local stuff, which they would need to, to get elected to the Dail and it can be a place where legislation can be lot are more deeply to make sure it couldn’t be any better. However first and foremost for that to happen, the government have to start talking the Seanad more seriously. FG or Labour could get the most intelligence person ever elected to the Seanad and he could propose the greatest amendments ever, but if the government instantly reject them as they would there isn't much point.

The same is true of the Dail of course. George Lee for example won't be able to do a single thing to help this country until FG get elected to power as the government will reject every amendment he puts forward.

Basically the primary thing that needs to happen to both our houses, is the government need to start showing them and the people elected to them a lot more respect. You can reform it as much as you want, but unless you change to a US style system, very little will change.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies