Senator Shane Ross on Derek Mooney now

dent

He was excellent value as always, and in fairness Mooney was very good on this as well.

Neave86

Good to hear Mooney getting stuck in on things other than injured birds, and Ross didn't shy away from the difficult stuff either. Get the feeling that he's getting uncomfortable with that toxic 'Senator' label hanging over him though...

wicklowperson

Ross did not answer Mooneys question on salaries he earns, a Senators salary +expenses and Sir Anthony's Sunday Business Editor plus his book earnings plus his wife's former salary and now an RTE pension.
Its really a joke taking Ross serious , has anyone heard him say a word about the disaster the Independent Newspapers group was with current share price and lost investments!!

When are we going learn that the likes of Ross is only making money out of the mess that we are in, they are not the solution!!

meriwether

Ross did not answer Mooneys question on salaries he earns, a Senators salary +expenses and Sir Anthony's Sunday Business Editor plus his book earnings plus his wife's former salary and now an RTE pension.
Its really a joke taking Ross serious , has anyone heard him say a word about the disaster the Independent Newspapers group was with current share price and lost investments!!

When are we going learn that the likes of Ross is only making money out of the mess that we are in, they are not the solution!!
Ad Hominen waffle.

He has a job(s), and is paid for it. The INM share price has little or nothing to do with him.

jake76

I presume his wife earned her salary

johnfás

My problem with Ross is that he is very good at identifying many of the problems, which is the easy party. I could point you to reams and reams of academic and other works, by myself and others identifying the problems which existed here, written both before, during and after the crash. The difficult thing is drawing a path out of the crisis and I've not heard much from Ross in that regard.

Neave86

Answer WHAT questions? We know how much he earns in the Seanad, that's available for all to see. His jornalistic career is no business of ours', neither is his wife's for that matter! If we're to go along with this line of thought, he probably married her for her RTE pension and together they're sitting in their living room plotting how to screw the rest of us over. There's no pint looking for villians for the sake of it- we have plenty of people on Kildare St and beyond who actually merit that.
Has Shane Ross ever been done for expenses?
No.
Would he have been if there was anything to find?
Undoubtedly yes.

cricket

Ad Hominen waffle.

He has a job(s), and is paid for it. The INM share price has little or nothing to do with him.
If he was writing for another news group while INM went tits up , he would be berating " Sir " Anthony , the O'Reilly clan , all who see " Sir " as a hero ,etc., etc..

fonzie

I am 80 pages into The Wasters - I've turned into the Incredible Hulk at least 7 times at the revelations within. And I mean proper shirt ripping, rampaging around the city untrammelled rage - hulk outs. If you ever suspected that we lived in a country where the public interest almost always took a back seat to the cess pool of nest feathering and pure gombeenism, have a leaf through this book. I am gobsmacked. Pure and simple. And I thank him for it. The need for a complete shakeout of our system has never been more apparent to me. I want my country back.

Ross serves an excellent function. Shining a light on this and getting people frothing.
As for the solution. Its fairly straightforward. slash and burn - if you are in a union, leave it - we dont have a real labour movement in Ireland, and havent for many years. And never ever elect a party that has any Civil War lineage ever again. Give me a decade of political instability where a proper political system emerges at the end of it than a repeat of the crap that has gone on for the past 70 years.

And Ross doesnt have to comment on his money - the guy works damn hard for it. And as said earlier, if there was any issue with his expenses we would know about it - too many people with axes to grind.

wicklowperson

There are none so blind as those who don't want to see. To day he was calling for all salaries to be below €100,000. Is all his salaries below this figure,
People forget how the bold senator first made his money, selling his stock brokerage,
Then went on to join Fine Gael, elected as County Councillor , went on to stand in General Election but the public rejected him but then reverted to cosy election club of TCD.
His now an expert on public waste!!

fonzie

There are none so blind as those who don't want to see. To day he was calling for all salaries to be below €100,000. Is all his salaries below this figure,
People forget how the bold senator first made his money, selling his stock brokerage,
Then went on to join Fine Gael, elected as County Councillor , went on to stand in General Election but the public rejected him but then reverted to cosy election club of TCD.
His now an expert on public waste!!
Are there any specific things in his writing that you feel to be wrong, incorrect, unsubstantiated.

I dont particluar give a crap about how he made his money - fair play to him for making it. Is there a particular allegation or insinuation in the selling of his Stock Brokerage you would care to elaborate on that in some way undermines the facts that he reports.

Like I said - what he has described in great great detail in his books outlines a festering scab over the corridors of power and the awful economic, social and political reprecussions of it.

Its a good message. If you want to shoot the message fine. But at least comment on the substantive facts that he outlines. I have found his writing to be extemely well researched and lets face it, his exposure of the FAS waste was a major service to the state and a great piece of investigative journalism in a country that sorely lacks it.

xt40

ive just read this thread and am surprised that no one mentioned mooneys comment that if his own salary was slashed tomorrow , he'd accept it without complaint as he has been with rte for years and has nowhere else to go (or something like that.) He then said it wouldnt be likely to happen as it suits certain people for high salaries to be paid.

gatsbygirl20

ive just read this thread and am surprised that no one mentioned mooneys comment that if his own salary was slashed tomorrow , he'd accept it without complaint as he has been with rte for years and has nowhere else to go (or something like that.) He then said it wouldnt be likely to happen as it suits certain people for high salaries to be paid.
Yeah, heard that. Mooney normally drives me up the wall, and even here with the value-for-money Ross, it took him a while to settle and to stop interrupting with his own "me too" anecdotes.. If, as a few posters suggest, Ross's salary is none of our business as he works hard, then we might extend the same leeway to others. Many people work hard, not just the guy who is saying things you agree with.

I thought Ross squirmed a little on the salary issue. (Imagine Mooney making anyone squirm). The fact is nobody likes talking about how much they earn, but its ok when it's the other guy, it seems.

Ross was particularly uncomfortable with Mooney hammering away on why he applied for Artists Exemption Tax on his book, (he did not get it). Ross: "Of course I applied for it". And fair play to you Ross, say I, but is this not precisely the "because I'm worth it" attitude to tax-funded perks you condemn in others?

Mooney is small fry in RTE compared with the Big Beasts. He sounds like a guy who knows he got lucky. (A "modest man with much to be modest about", perhaps). Sure he'd work for 100K. But the Big Beasts who negotiated huge salaries don't want to go from 500 to 100K. Mooney would naturally be more comfortable with 100K---it's closer to where he is now.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I think Mooney and his team are brilliant on what they are brilliant at: popular presentations of biological sciences.

I think their light entertainment stuff is pretty lame, and typically undisciplined for RTÉ. But get them talking with some professor of human evolution on the mytocondrial Eve or on the aquatic ape theory, or on the mating habits of swans and you've got radio.

Pity they don't do more of it.

I'm glad for the anti-Fianna Fail case that Mooney did such an interview with Ross, but I'd be critical of it. It gives hostages to Fianna Fáil's fortune -- they'd be justified in seeing bias in it (at least taken in isolation) -- and Mooney's contribution to it was just breathless, undisciplined and full of unnecessary hang-em-all populism.

Shane Ross, on the other hand, was brilliant.

bprob

is the wrong senator running for president?

just putting it out there!

You have to admire him, like most Senators he's double jobbing yet most people here are big fans, seen as a hero by most.

He's only saying what we all know and think, the difference is he has the forum most of us don't.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
You have to admire him, like most Senators he's double jobbing yet most people here are big fans, seen as a hero by most.

He's only saying what we all know and think, the difference is he has the forum most of us don't.
He's actually a fair amount better informed than most of us here. Then again, he's in a position to be, what with FÁS whistleblowers going straight to him and all.

stoichkov

Mooney is small fry in RTE compared with the Big Beasts. He sounds like a guy who knows he got lucky. (A "modest man with much to be modest about", perhaps). Sure he'd work for 100K. But the Big Beasts who negotiated huge salaries don't want to go from 500 to 100K. Mooney would naturally be more comfortable with 100K---it's closer to where he is now.
to go down to €100,000 a year, mooney (whose show i don't like) would have to take a pay cut of 58%.

i don't think too many of us would be happy if asked to do that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies