• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Send in the clowns


aodh_rua

Active member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
187
Website
drtod.wordpress.com
According to this morning's Indo the 'Send in the Clowns' video from the National Conference has finally 'escaped' onto the internet. Anyone got a link?
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
Send in the clowns, those laughy, daffy clowns, send in the soulful and joleful smolts by the bowlful clowns, send in the clowns!

They're already here.

:cry: :cry:
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Jeez, I hope their is a new version...

after all ye're talk about it from your conference last year I thought it'd be a lot better than that.

It has the basis of a decent film, but its just too short, and doesn't get people engaged.

Ye need something that will last the whole song.

I'll give ye credit, it was a good concept and could easily be something which done right could end up being a very good viral e mail campaign for FG, but..

less of the simple pictures of FF ministers. Remember, everyone at a FG conference know who these people are, and why they are supposed to be laughing at them, but non-political people will just think you're advertising for FF.

Second, more, and a lot more of the stupid statements cut from TV and radio interviews. These have a lot more impact than even the pics of newspaper headlines.

Three. Party gripe. Showing Gerry Adams and Martin Mc Guinness, might get a cheer from your average blackheart Blueshirt, but to the average voter, what is FG trying to say? That they won't work with Mc Guiness and Adams ? That day is gone lads, lose that bit.

5/10 lads, room for improvement, but good concept. Sharpen it up, and you might have an internet hit
 

zakalwe

Active member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
171
i think its great!
 

Sidewinder

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
442
KingKane said:
Well, my problem is that the main actors in the piece were so weak! It was hard to get any shots of them delivering their lines properly.
errrr...surely that's exactly what you want? RoC's right, there's a work of genius hiding in there if it was done right. Come on, surely it's easy to get clips of Bertie, Roche, Cullen and McDowell in particular saying something stupid, incomprehensible, pompous, arrogant or all of the above at once? Dempsey, Martin, Brennan and O'Dea should be fairly fertile ground as well.

Ditch the gratuitous SF-bashing, it's not going to win any fans outside the core Blueshirt vote.

Attack Harney with care, choose your target wisely. For some mad reason punters are very sympathetic to the woman despite her swivel-eyed Thatcherite "sell everything and privatise the health service!" policies.

I mean, come on, this is a terrible government. Clueless, incompetant beyond belief, arrogant, cold, uncaring, at the mercy of vested interests, with a rap sheet of lies and broken promises that is almost endless, not to mention all the dithering, wasted opportunities and failures to take decisions.

If this is the best FG can do when presented with such an open goal then maybe youse aren't up to the job either. Is that what yer offering? Slightly less incompetent and slightly less arrogant mediocrity?
 

EvotingMachine0197

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
8,629
Great stuff. Super flashcard for the voters goldfish memory (Mine more than anyones :lol: ) particularly enjoyed the Evoting scenes, very emotive. Are they going to TV it ?
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
rockofcashel said:
It has the basis of a decent film, but its just too short, and doesn't get people engaged.

Ye need something that will last the whole song.

I'll give ye credit, it was a good concept and could easily be something which done right could end up being a very good viral e mail campaign for FG, but..

less of the simple pictures of FF ministers. Remember, everyone at a FG conference know who these people are, and why they are supposed to be laughing at them, but non-political people will just think you're advertising for FF.

Second, more, and a lot more of the stupid statements cut from TV and radio interviews. These have a lot more impact than even the pics of newspaper headlines.

Three. Party gripe. Showing Gerry Adams and Martin Mc Guinness, might get a cheer from your average blackheart Blueshirt, but to the average voter, what is FG trying to say? That they won't work with Mc Guiness and Adams ? That day is gone lads, lose that bit.

5/10 lads, room for improvement, but good concept. Sharpen it up, and you might have an internet hit
South Tipp's very own Jonathan Ross, ey?

God would you lighten up! Its only for a bit of fun - Cain1798 may have lost his sense of humour years ago, but I though you still had one! :wink:
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
BarryW said:
rockofcashel said:
It has the basis of a decent film, but its just too short, and doesn't get people engaged.

Ye need something that will last the whole song.

I'll give ye credit, it was a good concept and could easily be something which done right could end up being a very good viral e mail campaign for FG, but..

less of the simple pictures of FF ministers. Remember, everyone at a FG conference know who these people are, and why they are supposed to be laughing at them, but non-political people will just think you're advertising for FF.

Second, more, and a lot more of the stupid statements cut from TV and radio interviews. These have a lot more impact than even the pics of newspaper headlines.

Three. Party gripe. Showing Gerry Adams and Martin Mc Guinness, might get a cheer from your average blackheart Blueshirt, but to the average voter, what is FG trying to say? That they won't work with Mc Guiness and Adams ? That day is gone lads, lose that bit.

5/10 lads, room for improvement, but good concept. Sharpen it up, and you might have an internet hit
South Tipp's very own Jonathan Ross, ey?

God would you lighten up! Its only for a bit of fun - Cain1798 may have lost his sense of humour years ago, but I though you still had one! :wink:
constructive criticism Barry.

as most people might have realised here, I've no problem giving FG a slap of a stick whenever I feel it's deserved (and often when it isn't), so when you get any compliment out of me at all, then you're doing something right.

With this you're "doing" something right, but you haven't "done" something right.

Like Sidewinder said above, I personally believe there is a fantastic idea here waiting to get out.

You see, at the FG conference, this would've went down a treat, because everyone there, would be some way politically clued in, and would hate FF anyway, so even a look at a FF puss, would bring whoops and hollers. The wider public aren't so engaged.

But.. give them this, and a lot sharper, better edited, and more cutting, and you could really have a winner on your hands.

Much as I hate to say it, but if you gave this to the likes of Eoghan Harris, after what he did for Mary Robinson in 1990 then he would make a hell of a lot better effort, and it would be a vote winner for ye.

PS, don't dare get Harris, just someone with as keen an editing eye as him. He'd overdo the Shinner-bashing, and like Sidewinder said, the Shinner haters vote for ye anyway, so you'd lose the softer swing voters. But, Mairead Mc Guiness must have loads of friends in the broadcasting business, that could do a job for ye.

Down here a few years ago, the crowd that made Ear to the Ground made an anti-incineration video, so someone like them must be known to Mairead.

Lose the static pics of FFers, unless you show a static, then make a gobshite of them with dynamic scenes immediately.

Leave Bertie to the end, all alone, and throw in 3 or four gaffes.

Then, if it were me, I'd look at having it screened countrywide in cinemas, before main films.

Come on lads, you've got the money. This would be cheaper than a couple of those billboard campaigns, and a lot more effective.
 

CJH

Active member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
214
rockofcashel said:
PS, don't dare get Harris, just someone with as keen an editing eye as him. He'd overdo the Shinner-bashing, and like Sidewinder said, the Shinner haters vote for ye anyway, so you'd lose the softer swing voters. But, Mairead Mc Guiness must have loads of friends in the broadcasting business, that could do a job for ye.
I think you underestimate the antipathy towards SF amongst a large swathe of the Irish electorate, and a real fear of them getting into power. It doesn't just exist in the blueshirt heartlands. That's why FG and Lab have been banging on about FF going into government with the shinners next year; they are trying to scare swing voters into voting for them
 

Sidewinder

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
442
How about leaving off the scare-mongering and simply promoting FG as the best party with the best policies, with a better team than the current government?

I have no desire to see Irish politics rapidly descend into a swamp of ridiculous, narrow-minded, bogeymonstering negative campaigning. We have too much of that sort of thing already.

Laugh at the current Cabinet and show them up as a shower of clowns, fair enough, as long as you also say what you would do better. But "Look over there! Evil monsters! Vote for us or the devil will eat you!" is, frankly, a pathetic way to campaign. As FG themselves are saying - Ireland deserves better.

Let's hear all the parties in this election campaign on what they will do to make Ireland better, not on the terrible threat to civilisation itself posed by all the other parties.
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
rockofcashel said:
Much as I hate to say it, but if you gave this to the likes of Eoghan Harris, after what he did for Mary Robinson in 1990 then he would make a hell of a lot better effort, and it would be a vote winner for ye
I have no idea what most of that long post was about, but I can tell you categorically that I wouldn't even hire Eoghan Harris to cut my lawn.

There was a fabled incident in 1991 when most of the FG Parliamentary Party were sent out to the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoighaire for media training.
Harris bragged to the group that he had gotten Mary Robinson elected the previous year by teaching her how to nod gently in reply to questions, to give a sense of empathy.

Enda Kenny piped up straight away and said that he'd seen Robinson nodding in exactly the same way at the New Ireland Forum in 1984.

After a long silence in the room, Harris sheepishly asked if FG wanted their money back. Allegedly, he didn't speak to Kenny for weeks afterwards! If I was Enda, I wouldn't have been sending "I'm Sorry" cards anyway :)
 

rockofcashel

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 23, 2005
Messages
7,956
Website
www.sinnfein.ie
BarryW said:
rockofcashel said:
Much as I hate to say it, but if you gave this to the likes of Eoghan Harris, after what he did for Mary Robinson in 1990 then he would make a hell of a lot better effort, and it would be a vote winner for ye
I have no idea what most of that long post was about, but I can tell you categorically that I wouldn't even hire Eoghan Harris to cut my lawn.

There was a fabled incident in 1991 when most of the FG Parliamentary Party were sent out to the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoighaire for media training.
Harris bragged to the group that he had gotten Mary Robinson elected the previous year by teaching her how to nod gently in reply to questions, to give a sense of empathy.

Enda Kenny piped up straight away and said that he'd seen Robinson nodding in exactly the same way at the New Ireland Forum in 1984.

After a long silence in the room, Harris sheepishly asked if FG wanted their money back. Allegedly, he didn't speak to Kenny for weeks afterwards! If I was Enda, I wouldn't have been sending "I'm Sorry" cards anyway :)
I'm not trying to be smart (and by good its hard), but did the rest of what I wrote just go straight over your head.

The other respondents seemed to understand clearly what I was saying, whether they agreed or not
 

CJH

Active member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
214
BarryW said:
rockofcashel said:
Much as I hate to say it, but if you gave this to the likes of Eoghan Harris, after what he did for Mary Robinson in 1990 then he would make a hell of a lot better effort, and it would be a vote winner for ye
I have no idea what most of that long post was about, but I can tell you categorically that I wouldn't even hire Eoghan Harris to cut my lawn.

There was a fabled incident in 1991 when most of the FG Parliamentary Party were sent out to the Royal Marine Hotel in Dun Laoighaire for media training.
Harris bragged to the group that he had gotten Mary Robinson elected the previous year by teaching her how to nod gently in reply to questions, to give a sense of empathy.

Enda Kenny piped up straight away and said that he'd seen Robinson nodding in exactly the same way at the New Ireland Forum in 1984.

After a long silence in the room, Harris sheepishly asked if FG wanted their money back. Allegedly, he didn't speak to Kenny for weeks afterwards! If I was Enda, I wouldn't have been sending "I'm Sorry" cards anyway :)
And then there's Twink.
 

BarryW

Active member
Joined
Sep 8, 2003
Messages
262
rockofcashel said:
I'm not trying to be smart (and by good its hard), but did the rest of what I wrote just go straight over your head
Oh I understood alright - you're making a big fuss over nothing.
Something small which was made up at a shoestring cost to get a few laughs from the FG faithful, and you're complaining that it wasn't used a Leni Reifenstahl-typed piece, designed to brainwash the masses into voting Fine Gael! :lol:

But I suppose, any old excuse to criticise FG......... :wink:
 

Sidewinder

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 23, 2004
Messages
442
Jeez, you try to help the Blueshirts after they actually stumble across the makings of a massive vote-winner and what do you get in return? :roll:

Well, don't say we didn't try and help, after youse lose the next election :lol:
 
Top