• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Senior Government source says Ireland won't rock the EU boat

GDPR

Apparently if we're really good boys and girls and don't ask for too much or ask too often and basically just shut up until spoken to, the "good will" this will generate for Ireland may actually lead to the leaders of the "senior" EU countries deciding to grant us a deal, purely from the goodness of their collective hearts you understand.

This, Christ help us, is the Governments grand strategy.

Ireland won't exploit EU presidency, insists senior Govt source | BreakingNews.ie

cabledude

This Government are consensus sluts. They want everyone to be one big f**king happy family. Well lads, newsflash. Financial matters don't work like that. What needs to be done is the next time there is a Finance council meeting or indeed a meeting of the Eurozone heads of state, the Irish rep, Noonan in the case of the former and Kenny in the case of the latter, should walk in, plonk the closed briefcase on the desk and say - Thanks for all the money lads, but we can't pay it back, it was forced on us so tough sh1te. See ye all later in the bar for a pint. Good luck.

He would not have to walk 10 steps before Frau Merkel would be over with her arms around him saying ' Enda, don't be hasty, we didn't know you were so upset about not getting assistance on the bank losses. Why didn't you say something. You know how it is Enda, you need to shout around here to be heard. Now lets see if we cannot sort this thing out'

Rock the boat my ar5e.

nonpartyboy

The irish govt, is like the girl who fancies their male friend but never has the guts to say anything,he bangs everything but her and ends up married to some leggy blonde with kids living in the country while she ends up living in a bedsit, single lonely and still thinking some day it will happen..............it won't.

flavirostris

And the reason we need a "deal" in the first place? That would be the fault of the traitorous scum that the OP shills for.

BlackLion

And the reason we need a "deal" in the first place? That would be the fault of the traitorous scum that the OP shills for.
Is that the same crowd that claims the good results of the deal as theirs and the bad results to the last government?

mothball

I'm actually of the mind that we shouldn't exploit our own position since it is so fleeting. Our term of presidency should be conducted in an even and fair manner.
Don't get me wrong; we should be causing a hell of a fuss the rest of the time, but I do so hate using position for personal gains. It might work, but it's a little too Fianna Fáil for my liking.

BlackLion

I'm actually of the mind that we shouldn't exploit our own position since it is so fleeting. Our term of presidency should be conducted in an even and fair manner.
Don't get me wrong; we should be causing a hell of a fuss the rest of the time, but I do so hate using position for personal gains. It might work, but it's a little too Fianna Fáil for my liking.
Got to fight fire with fire mate. The EU will show how Ireland is a good little boy.

GDPR

Leaving aside comments right up to your usual standard of argument, the issue is not in needing a deal, the issue is the Governmental willingness to crawl on their hands and knees to get that which we should be entitled to and already have if it weren't for the spineless nature of Kenny, Noonan and Gilmore.

mothball

Got to fight fire with fire mate. The EU will show how Ireland is a good little boy.
I know I should agree with you.

I know I'd fail at the game of "politics" as it currently stands, but a man can only wish. :)

GDPR

Why? The EU hasn't been "even or fair" with us. We should take every advantage we can as they have done and continue to do to us.

mothball

Why? The EU hasn't been "even or fair" with us. We should take every advantage we can as they have done and continue to do to us.
As I essentially said to Blacklion, I actually am a person who wishes to have the word "politics" not be a synonym for corrupt, self-serving bastardo who will do anything to gain what one merely desires.
With the presidency, I'd rather highlight what is genuinely fecked up with the EU, than simply exploit its current errors.

Yes; I acknowledge your means might provide temporary benefits, but I look at the bigger picture. You might be right, but............meh.

flavirostris

Leaving aside comments right up to your usual standard of argument, the issue is not in needing a deal, the issue is the Governmental willingness to crawl on their hands and knees to get that which we should be entitled to and already have if it weren't for the spineless nature of Kenny, Noonan and Gilmore.
Do you really think Fianna Failers like yourself have the right to criticise the government's progress given that it was you idiots who landed us in the sh*t in the first place?

GDPR

I look at the bigger picture.
The bigger picture, imo, is that the EU/ECB screwed us when they had the chance and that being the case, you either take it or you fight back when your chance comes along.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

So... the deadline for a deal has now been pushed out (again...) until after June 2013?

[a rant]

I do wonder what message foregoing the Presidency would send though(?).

Last edited:

GDPR

Do you really think Fianna Failers like yourself have the right to criticise the government's progress given that it was you idiots who landed us in the sh*t in the first place?
a) This is a democracy and I am a citizen, so yes, I do have a right to speak, this is not one of your blueshirt gatherings.

b) The Government haven't made any progress to criticise. I am however criticising the way in which they hope to make some progress, that being by staying shtum and hope to get a pat on the head from the big boys for so doing.

flavirostris

a) This is a democracy and I am a citizen, so yes, I do have a right to speak, this is not one of your blueshirt gatherings.

b) The Government haven't made any progress to criticise. I am however criticising the way in which they hope to make some progress, that being by staying shtum and hope to get a pat on the head from the big boys for so doing.
In other news today an arsonist reportedly read the riot act to the Fire Brigade for not putting out his burning house fast enough. "I just don't see any progress", he told mystified firemen.

General Urko

Time to get rid of current so called government!

Boy M5

If true (and has, from the evidence - their behaviour and exaggerated "gamechanging" claims a grain of truth anout it) This is a shameful indictment of our government and of Noonan, Kenny and Gilmore. Future generations will look on them in disgust.

Boy M5

Kenny should take down that picture of Collins and replace it with Brutal's picture of John Redmond, if not get one of Charles Trevelyan.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies