• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

SEPERATED FATHERS

martin TYRONE

Why do they only get to see their kids for much more limited periods of time than the mother even though they have to contribute maintenance---why is the system so unfair

Bogwarrior

One of the last bastions of discrimination. One of the greatest legal injustices in the modern world. I don't know the answer to your "Why" question. I have yet to meet a seperated father getting sole custody, and receiving maintenance from the mother.

commentator

Society has a vested interest is fostering the mother child link. Fathers will suffer but it is ineviable when relationships break down. Nietzsche explained that the enigma of women was easily resolved by motherhood and that of men by realisation that they play with fire. Involvement with this visceral female urge is like playing with fire. sometimes one gets burned.

ON THE ONE ROAD

Bogwarrior said:
One of the last bastions of discrimination. One of the greatest legal injustices in the modern world. I don't know the answer to your "Why" question. I have yet to meet a seperated father getting sole custody, and receiving maintenance from the mother.

mate of mine is a single father and the mother pay's mantinance, but it wasn't a battle to get it, she did't want to play happy families, so there was no battle, if she did ,accept the result would be different.

Bogwarrior

Is there a Fathers for Justice type organisation in Ireland?

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Bogwarrior said:
I have sole custody of my daughter, took me along time to get it though, as for maintainance, I didn't want anything from her mother.

commentator

padraig said:
Bogwarrior said:
I have sole custody of my daughter, took me along time to get it though, as for maintainance, I didn't want anything from her mother.
Presumably she didn't argue the case padraig.

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
commentator said:
padraig said:
Bogwarrior said:
Presumably she didn't argue the case padraig.
Paying maintainance would give her certain rights, I don't need her money nor do I need her interference.

FTA69

Are you sure the payment of maintance guarantees certain rights Padraig? My father has to pay up until I'm 21 years old (full time education and all that lark) and I have absolutely no contact with him whatsoever.

ChrIreland

FTA69 said:
Are you sure the payment of maintance guarantees certain rights Padraig? My father has to pay up until I'm 21 years old (full time education and all that lark) and I have absolutely no contact with him whatsoever.
Yes, it is very sad. I am not being sexist when I say that arguably most of the marital problems CAN come from the man, but, certainly not ALL. The law here is partisan in that it assumes the man is always wrong which is bull. This may well be a good issue for the party to have policy on if it has not already.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
iceman said:
Bogwarrior said:
Yes Bog but what i gather it is not have as active as Britian.
There's a good list of links on Liam Ó Gógáin's (non-party campaigner for single fathers)'s site here.

Bogwarrior

green said:
iceman said:
Bogwarrior said:
Yes Bog but what i gather it is not have as active as Britian.
There's a good list of links on Liam Ó Gógáin's (non-party campaigner for single fathers)'s site here.
Thanks for that, Green. I appreciate it.

padraig

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
FTA69 said:
Nothing to prevent you from making contact yourself, your father may be prevented from contacting you but if you contact him there is nothing the law can do to prevent that, the law is applied differently to men and women.

ireland2004

Bogwarrior said:
I know one 8)

Bogwarrior

ireland2004 said:
Bogwarrior said:
I know one 8)
OK, maybe they're are some. But there like open Gays in the DUP. Few and far between.

ireland2004

Bogwarrior said:
ireland2004 said:
Bogwarrior said:
I know one 8)
OK, maybe there are some. But there like open Gays in the DUP. Few and far between.
Actually I re-read your post.....I don't know if he gets maintenance from the mother.

Good topic.

This is a major issue to be tackled in Ireland today. There are a number of mens groups articulating the rights of non resident fathers. They highlight the plight of fathers denied proper access or relationships with their children. For example, the "McDonalds Dads", who have to take their children for a McDonalds because their accomodation is inadequate as they cant afford to pay maintenance and the family mortgage as well as their own accomodation. They cant keep the kids overnight etc. They have clear housing needs and the local authority points system has to recognise this across the board.

Also theres the controversial area of domestic violence. While clearly, some husbands or partners are violent towards their wives or partners. How many women are also physicaly or mentally abusing their men. It is often a two way street. Facts are that physical or mental abuse is totally unacceptable, no matter what the offending gender.

This is an important area of work for those genuinely interested in equality. Children need both parents. So contact your local public rep and lobby them on this issue, especially if you know a parent suffering in this regard.

Bogwarrior

I would strongly advise anyone from considering marriage in this day and age.