Serena Williams takes performance enhancing drugs

gleeful

Hackers have managed to access data from WADA - World Anti-Doping Agency - detailing how US athletes were given permission to take a number of performance enhancing drugs.

Documents published on the Fancy Bear website appeared to show that Serena Williams had taken the restricted drugs prednisone, prednisolone, methylprednisone, hydromorphone and oxycodone between 2010 and 2015, while her sister Venus had taken prednisone, prednisolone, triamcinolone and formoterol. Biles, meanwhile, was given methylphenidate for attention-deficit disorder. In all cases, however, Wada confirmed that the athletes had committed no offence because they had been granted therapeutic use exemptions (TUEs) by the relevant international sports federations and national anti-doping organisations.
Its amazing how so many top athletes have these incredibly serious medical conditions that require performance enhancing drugs to over come. Of course, when other countries' athletes take these drugs, thats cheating, because WADA didn't issue those people TUEs. Perhaps the Russians just need better doctors... or better connected doctors.

Funny ol' world.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/13/wada-russian-cyber-attack-espionage-group

daveL

Already a shoot the messenger type defence underway

Clanrickard

Hackers have managed to access data from WADA - World Anti-Doping Agency - detailing how US athletes were given permission to take a number of performance enhancing drugs.

Its amazing how so many top athletes have these incredibly serious medical conditions that require performance enhancing drugs to over come. Of course, when other countries' athletes take these drugs, thats cheating, because WADA didn't issue those people TUEs. Perhaps the Russians just need better doctors... or better connected doctors.

Funny ol' world.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/13/wada-russian-cyber-attack-espionage-group
This OP is utterly dishonest and misleading. The US athletes had permission to use these drugs because of existing medical conditions. A million miles for the state sponsored doping carried out by the Putin regime.

gleeful

This OP is utterly dishonest and misleading. The US athletes had permission to use these drugs because of existing medical conditions. A million miles for the state sponsored doping carried out by the Putin regime.
They had permission. The Russians didn't. What exactly is wrong with these US top athletes that requires they all take these drugs? Isn't it bizarre that so many of these athletes all ill with the same condition?

realistic1

They may have had permission, but my question is did these drugs enhance their performances? Looking at their form, one would have to agree.

gerhard dengler

They had permission. The Russians didn't. What exactly is wrong with these US top athletes that requires they all take these drugs? Isn't it bizarre that so many of these athletes all ill with the same condition?
Regardless of nationality it would appear that a lot of top sports people are very ill.

sic transit

Funny ol' world.

When the messenger is one linked to a country engaged is state-sponsored doping, a potshot is more than warranted. While one might indeed question the need for all of these medications, athletes in general are far more prone to immune system problems and injury. A further mitigation here is that they have all been disclosed. Incidentally would you like to explain what performance enhancing these drugs do? Oxy is the only I recognise and from what I recall it does little to enhance anything much!

sic transit

gleeful

Incidentally would you like to explain what performance enhancing these drugs do? Oxy is the only I recognise and from what I recall it does little to enhance anything much!
I don't know what they do - but WADA has banned them all as performance enhancing drugs, so presumably they enhance performance.

enuffisenuff

you wouldn't think to look at her eh??

sic transit

I don't know what they do - but WADA has banned them all as performance enhancing drugs, so presumably they enhance performance.
As are steroids, but they too have important medical uses. Intentional undeclared use of them I would imagine is the determination. The Russian approach did not really take "medical conditions" into account.

Orbit v2

True, the implication is that without TUEs, a top sportsperson, just better not get sick, because many many medications have a performance enhancing effect, however limited.

But, you have to look at each case individually, (which I don't see happening here). Though, I'm not sure why this information shouldn't be in the public domain anyway.

stanley

Putin will be very happy playing with himself this morning with this ego inflating material, the hackers can expect some reward, maybe some time off prison sentences or a visit to the Crimea rather than Siberia.

sic transit

True, the implication is that without TUEs, a top sportsperson, just better not get sick, because many many medications have a performance enhancing effect, however limited.

But, you have to look at each case individually, (which I don't see happening here). Though, I'm not sure why this information shouldn't be in the public domain anyway.
There's a privacy element to it, no more than you'd want your medical records to be available for all and sundry.

gleeful

The next question I guess is did these US sports people get more TUEs than other nation's sportspeople.

When the messenger is one linked to a country engaged is state-sponsored doping, a potshot is more than warranted. While one might indeed question the need for all of these medications, athletes in general are far more prone to immune system problems and injury. A further mitigation here is that they have all been disclosed. Incidentally would you like to explain what performance enhancing these drugs do? Oxy is the only I recognise and from what I recall it does little to enhance anything much!
Claims it is a Russian hack makes the story go away when it appears it is coming from Anonymous which is Western Anarchists.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies