• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Seriously Though.... Do we need Junior Ministers ?

Should all junior minister roles be abolished?

• Yes

Votes: 98 61.6%
  • No

Votes: 61 38.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

emulator

This article reignited a thought I've had many times since we found ourselves in financial difficulties. We are constantly being told by the politicians we'll have to do more for less, work longer in our lives, pay more taxes for less services... etc.

Why is it then that 15 Ministers with all their staff in their Departments and all their expensive advisors cannot do what needs to be done ?

I think it's time to stick to the 15 Ministers as set out in the Constitution. It would send out an important signal....

Francis Fitzgerald seems to be in a world of her own and not realise she's actually in Government. Kathleen Lynch recently announced a new appointment only to be corrected by the HSE as they were still interviewing for the role. It will be interesting to see if she was on the money with that one.... :shock:

Fitzgerald :

“IF YOU HAVE been sexually abused, you don’t need help in nine months time or two years. You need help immediately.”

In a recent broad-ranging interview, TheJournal.ie asked Children’s Minister Frances Fitzgerald about waiting lists for therapy and counselling services for young victims of sexual abuse.

She said she was “constantly amazed” by the lack of basic services in Ireland after years of being a relatively rich country.

Asked about current austerity measures and their impact on already vulnerable children, the Minister said it was something that government needs to be “extremely sensitive” about every time there is a budgetary decision that impacts on children and families.
Children’s Minister ‘constantly amazed’ at lack of basic services

Surely we should be getting rid of this €130,000 post as there is no Constitutional requirement to have Junior Ministers ?

Lonewolfe

I agree and the Seanad to boot.

However, when two Parties make up a government how do you create jobs for all the personnel they have without the Seanad and Junior miniseries.

emulator

However, when two Parties make up a government how do you create jobs for all the personnel they have without the Seanad and Junior miniseries.
I think the Seanad should be reformed but not gotten rid of entirely....

I simply cannot see any need though, other than handing out pats on the back, for spending nearly €2m a year plus expenses on Junior Minister positions when services are being cut left right and centre.... so to speak.

It's just wrong....

Ribeye

We don't need any Ministers at all,

Ulster-Lad

I thought they were elected to a job?

Besides without Junior Ministries how would we have gotten all the entertainment of Shortall v Reilly?

im axeled

we need them as much as we need coveny to tell us that more austerity is required.

Honecker

Don't Creighton and Kehoe get paid the same as senior ministers for some bullsh1t reason?

emulator

I thought they were elected to a job?

Besides without Junior Ministries how would we have gotten all the entertainment of Shortall v Reilly?
As entertaining as that was.... was it worth €130,000 plus expenses ? :)

Thomaso12

The best way would be to have only 11 ministers and if they complain theirs too much work they get go quit. As for the rest of the members in a coalition they would be slipt into groups and perform minor jobs in individal departments without extra perks or extra pay rise, since they can think of it as getting them off their asses to help.

Outlander

Yet another consequence of our ridiculous electoral system - it improves the chance of re-election for TDs with poor prospects and puts some in positions which are way past their ability as a consequence.

Ulster-Lad

As entertaining as that was.... was it worth €130,000 plus expenses ? :)
You tell me. Exposing Reilly for what he is as well as the on-goings in DoH and HSE, is/was it worth it?

Ribeye

Pat Kenny just said to that idiot Denihan,

"so Jimmy...oh, dear, I am sorry, I mean Minister...."

"puke"

controller

Jobs for the boys............nothing else

Ryan Tubbs

There is a very strong political justification for having Junior Ministers who have responsibility for special policy areas which are of importance at a particular time.

Mental Health
Europe
Housing/Planning
Resarch/Innovation/FDI

These are specific areas which will always be important, and without a full minister dealing with them they would almost certainly get completely lost within a Department agenday. (Would mental health get any focus at all if had no Junior Minister in that area? Given the state of constant crisis in Health for the last 15 years?)

The days of truly made-up Junior Ministries, thankfully, are more or less behind us (with a couple of exceptions in this Government.......).

But we will never again return to the days of Bertie Ahern. Remember Noel Davern TD (Tipp South) - he was Junior Minister for Horticulture and Animal Husbandry in Ahern's first 1997-2002 government. I kid you not.

The "lets cut everything to do with politics" movement has to be stopped somewhere. They seem to have no sense of irony that in calling for everything and anything to be slashed and burned, power is being concentrated in the hands of an ever smaller and ever less accountable group of people.

Honecker

we need them as much as we need coveny to tell us that more austerity is required.
Although when the farmers want their fodder subsidised Coveney will them them it. Typical blueshirts. Austerity for everyone except the farmers and the rich.

Ryan Tubbs

The "lets slash and burn everything" brigade are good at making comparisons with other countries. (Well, it's usually Manchester).

I presume the OP and others here will be able to point out a couple of other countries who have no Ministers below Cabinet rank?

Ryan Tubbs

Although when the farmers want their fodder subsidised Coveney will them them it. Typical blueshirts. Austerity for everyone except the farmers and the rich.
You'd be happy to see animals starve then? Like they have in Scotland?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies