• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Service Stations on Motorways

darkhorse

Finally, they get it...
We need service stations on our new motorways.
Now they are building just 2...
They claim there is only enough money left for 2 but why dont they open it up to the private sector to build such a business? It would costs a lot less than some of the empty Taj Mahals around Dublin and would be guaranteed to make money.

On a recent trip to Cork, I spend 30 mins diverting at night into Cashel trying to find a takeaway but no luck. Then again into Cahir looking for a petrol station
What is the purpose in spending billions building a motorway system to speed up journeys if drivers have to divert onto the back roads for hours looking for food and petrol ?
Not to mention the safety implications of driver fatigue and nowhere to stop off.
But did any individual or committee get fired for designing a motorway system without service areas?
Or did they get a pay rise and a gold plated pension ?
These geniuses should have been hung for their stupidity.

slx

It's also causing a situation where people are urinating at the side of the roads!

I've never seen that anywhere else, including in Ireland before.

It's just sheer desperation as there are no obvious rest stops anywhere along the entire M7/M8 to Cork

If you are driving Cork-Dublin, Horse and Jockey is a really nice spot to stop off at. It's just off the motorway about 1 min drive back onto the old Cork-Dublin road. Nice hotel with a really good coffee station as well as a full selection of bar food etc etc

This is Ireland, I have no doubt that the vested interests who owned existing traditional stops on the old N roads had a quick word in someone's ear, so they were overlooked.

Ireland - Government of the Vested Interests, By the Vested Interests for the Vested Interests and screw the people!

PS : Please stop voting for crooks. The only explanation is that the electorate are completely thick or sadomasochists !

Anybody who thinks building service stops on Motorways is a good idea has never looked at the economics of it.

Far better to sign post off motorways for existing businesses.

SilverLining

It would be far too clever to build them at the same time as the road ? What sort of gangster run place do we have ? A tram system that doesn't join up. A tunnel that is not high enough. We cannot be trusted to do anything intelligent as everything seems to be run by cronyism to create jobs and business opportunities for friends and family of our political "masters".

edor

Great news. I was in Finland last month where they have an extensive network of motorways and a service station/restaurant every 25kms. Fantastic set up. I could never understand the logic here; particularly when the country was awash with money and builders, that we could not do the same.

Clanrickard

Anybody who thinks building service stops on Motorways is a good idea has never looked at the economics of it.

Why so?

darkhorse

I havent looked at the economics of it but common sense would indicate its going to do well.
Any of the ones I have used in the UK have been very busy at all times of day and night.
And full of chains like Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc - these companies would all be there if they werent making money
Small service stations with one or two staff seem to be able to survive almost anywhere around Ireland
Add a large car and truck parking area, a tea or coffee machine and a toilet and you are there.
But either way its stupid and dangerous to build a national motorway network without service and rest areas.

Dillinger

They were told not to put any service stations on our motorways. That is what lobby groups are for.

Capital cost of building, cost of getting the infrastructure in, cost of running the place and prices needed to charge to attempt to make it viable.

There are existing business with 1-2km off most exits so why not signpost to them.

I love the oft spouted idea that because Motorways save you time you don't want to waste it leaving the Motorway, i kinda wonder what people do with all that supposedly saved time.

Clanrickard

There are existing business with 1-2km off most exits so why not signpost to them.
Dublin to Mountrath has few enough service stations. I drive once a month and I have looked. Put stations on the motorways out to tender and let the private sector build them and look after them.

Iarmhi Gael

My Pet grump this.

They should have been built at the time the motorways were built. I know land was CPO'd at the time for service station in Kinnegad and then they decided sure we'll move it closer to Enfield.

The 15 arces they paid close to €500k for will never be used.

I havent looked at the economics of it but common sense would indicate its going to do well.
Any of the ones I have used in the UK have been very busy at all times of day and night.
And full of chains like Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc - these companies would all be there if they werent making money
Small service stations with one or two staff seem to be able to survive almost anywhere around Ireland
Add a large car and truck parking area, a tea or coffee machine and a toilet and you are there.
But either way its stupid and dangerous to build a national motorway network without service and rest areas.
BK / Pizza Hut etc do not operate through the night and pretty much never have at Motorway services in UK as simply not viable after 10pm and thats in addition to all shops closing on site as well. You will have one place open offering some food but even they struggle to sell enough to justify staying open. The petrol stations do an average business at night but given distances involved in UK that is understandable.

You spend millions building it and it will never pay back, why not use that to assist existing businesses.

darkhorse

BK / Pizza Hut etc do not operate through the night and pretty much never have at Motorway services in UK as simply not viable after 10pm and thats in addition to all shops closing on site as well. You will have one place open offering some food but even they struggle to sell enough to justify staying open. The petrol stations do an average business at night but given distances involved in UK that is understandable.

You spend millions building it and it will never pay back, why not use that to assist existing businesses.
I wound not expect PH or BK to open 24hours - just the service station itself should be 24h. After that if these companies choose to set up shop then we should obviously let them in. I am a sure they would jump at the opportunity.
Are you suggesting that there is any stretch of motorway in the UK as long as Cork/Dublin that doesnt have a service area?
The problem with the existing businesses is that they are in the wrong location - but they should be given the chance to tender for the new location.

slx

My Pet grump this.

They should have been built at the time the motorways were built. I know land was CPO'd at the time for service station in Kinnegad and then they decided sure we'll move it closer to Enfield.

The 15 arces they paid close to €500k for will never be used.
Ah now be reasonable! You couldn't possibly build them at the same time as the motorways, sure that would be far too cheap. Think of the poor Fianna Fail contractors!

darkhorse

I love the oft spouted idea that because Motorways save you time you don't want to waste it leaving the Motorway, i kinda wonder what people do with all that supposedly saved time.
Did you ever kinda wonder why they built the motorways in the first place?
Ans: To save time.

Econdo

There are a number of rest ways along many of our new motorways where cars and trucks can pull in..

darkhorse

There are a number of rest ways along many of our new motorways where cars and trucks can pull in..
There are some small 'lay bys' but:
- they have no toilets, washroom, baby changing facilities
- they are unlit and potentially dangerous at night
- they are unsignposted so you have passed them by before you see them
- there is nowhere to get out and walk to wake up a bit
- no tea/coffee making facilities
- etc
in order words they are next to useless
and a poor excuse for not have proper serviced areas

stanley

Well done Odie, you have made 3 excellent and sensible contributions to this thread, I take off my hat and wig to you, there may well be hope for yourself yet if the FF press office do away with you lads.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies