• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Service Stations on Motorways

I wound not expect PH or BK to open 24hours - just the service station itself should be 24h. After that if these companies choose to set up shop then we should obviously let them in. I am a sure they would jump at the opportunity.
Are you suggesting that there is any stretch of motorway in the UK as long as Cork/Dublin that doesnt have a service area?
The problem with the existing businesses is that they are in the wrong location - but they should be given the chance to tender for the new location.
No but think you will find traffic flows are substantially higher across UK than Dublin to Cork, aside from peak hours is there any Motorways that are continually busy. Issue with UK is that you have something like M1 300 odd miles, M6 similar, M5 close to it.

Issue of service station can be tackled by signposting 24 hour stations with 2-3 kms of exit with a requirement of 7 day opening.

Service areas are a waste of resources when not needed.

There are some small 'lay bys' but:
- they have no toilets, washroom, baby changing facilities
- they are unlit and potentially dangerous at night
- they are unsignposted so you have passed them by before you see them
- there is nowhere to get out and walk to wake up a bit
- no tea/coffee making facilities
- etc
in order words they are next to useless
and a poor excuse for not have proper serviced areas
How much would you be willing to pay as a premium for these service areas........UK fuel is 5-6% dearer, food 10-20% than normal local and consumer stuff about 15-20%...............people will try find too expensive and go elsewhere.

absconded

Stables & fodder every 25km the way things are headed.

darkhorse

How much would you be willing to pay as a premium for these service areas........UK fuel is 5-6% dearer, food 10-20% than normal local and consumer stuff about 15-20%...............people will try find too expensive and go elsewhere.
so explain why every other country in the world has motorway service areas except ireland?
and why have they now reversed their decision in ireland and building just 2 of them?

ManOfReason

Anybody who thinks building service stops on Motorways is a good idea has never looked at the economics of it.

Far better to sign post off motorways for existing businesses.
And pander to local special interests!!! It is that kind of gombeen thinking that has the country so screwed. When I am on a long drive I do not want to get off the motorway, drive around so crappy town looking for somewhere for the family to take a piss, eat and/or refuel and try and find my way back onto the motorway, having added 30-40 minutes to my trip. I want to instead zip into a service stop, the kids can pee and buy some grub while I refuel and we are on our way in 10 minutes max.

People Before Special Interests!!!

ManOfReason

Cheapass people will still have the option to exit the motorway and venture into the hinterland.

so explain why every other country in the world has motorway service areas except ireland?
Doesn't indicate that its correct method unless the throughput can justify the investment in infrastructure and in Ireland I doubt it can as simply distances aren't big enough.

Few cars that couldn't get from Dublin to Cork on half a tank of fuel.

And pander to local special interests!!! It is that kind of gombeen thinking that has the country so screwed. When I am on a long drive I do not want to get off the motorway, drive around so crappy town looking for somewhere for the family to take a piss, eat and/or refuel and try and find my way back onto the motorway, having added 30-40 minutes to my trip. I want to instead zip into a service stop, the kids can pee and buy some grub while I refuel and we are on our way in 10 minutes max.

People Before Special Interests!!!
Really so the local service stations shut so nothing around for those who can't access Motorway but you have just spent millions on something that achieves pretty much nothing.

Ifs its people before special interests then do you think local operators will afford the franchise fees requried to operate these areas.

Cheapass people will still have the option to exit the motorway and venture into the hinterland.
So you remove 50% plus of potential customers immediately.

So how again are they going to make money to pay people and justify the investment.

darkhorse

Doesn't indicate that its correct method unless the throughput can justify the investment in infrastructure and in Ireland I doubt it can as simply distances aren't big enough.

Few cars that couldn't get from Dublin to Cork on half a tank of fuel.
Holland is a much smaller country and has lots of service areas on motorways.

Holland is a much smaller country and has lots of service areas on motorways.
Population of Holland V Ireland and you forget that many people travel from UK / France / Belgium / Germany on way to some where else go via Holland.........this isn't going to happen in Ireland.

darkhorse

ok so ireland is the only country is the world which doesnt need service stations on motorways?
so why have they now reversed the decision and are now building them?

Pauli

Finally, they get it...
We need service stations on our new motorways.
Now they are building just 2...
They claim there is only enough money left for 2 but why dont they open it up to the private sector to build such a business? It would costs a lot less than some of the empty Taj Mahals around Dublin and would be guaranteed to make money.

On a recent trip to Cork, I spend 30 mins diverting at night into Cashel trying to find a takeaway but no luck. Then again into Cahir looking for a petrol station
What is the purpose in spending billions building a motorway system to speed up journeys if drivers have to divert onto the back roads for hours looking for food and petrol ?
Not to mention the safety implications of driver fatigue and nowhere to stop off.
But did any individual or committee get fired for designing a motorway system without service areas?
Or did they get a pay rise and a gold plated pension ?
These geniuses should have been hung for their stupidity.

As with everything in Ireland, you have a choice. A or B.

In this case, you have a choice of answer to your question. The lack of service stations on Irish motorways is down to either

A. Endemic corruption (in the planning process)

or

B. Indescribable stupidity (in the planners).

Take your pick.

joel

As with everything in Ireland, you have a choice. A or B.

In this case, you have a choice of answer to your question. The lack of service stations on Irish motorways is down to either

A. Endemic corruption (in the planning process)

or

B. Indescribable stupidity (in the planners).

Take your pick.

Or C - economically unviable. There won't be the custom to make it pay.

I choose C.

darkhorse

Or C - economically unviable. There won't be the custom to make it pay.

I choose C.
if the traffic between say dublin and cork is so small that it couldnt support the extra cost of a service station then why spend billions building the motorway in the first place!!
there are service stations on many minor roads all around the city of dublin and elsewhere with much less passing traffic

if the traffic between say dublin and cork is so small that it couldnt support the extra cost of a service station then why spend billions building the motorway in the first place!!
there are service stations on many minor roads all around the city of dublin and elsewhere with much less passing traffic
In the majority of cases the service station is already on an existing site so you are not redeveloping a greenfield site and even then the area that it will cover is quite small.

Building a full service area and reckon its 5-6 acres of land that gets tarmacced between access roads, parking, buildings etc.

Service area will be a great novelty until people realise that IF you fill up before you leave you save 5-6 cents a litre and great its wonderful for a pee stop but why spend millions on that.

If people are so keen on saving time then filling up before leave home sounds good way of doing it.

When people realise the cost they may reconisder the stop.

darkhorse

In the majority of cases the service station is already on an existing site so you are not redeveloping a greenfield site and even then the area that it will cover is quite small.

Building a full service area and reckon its 5-6 acres of land that gets tarmacced between access roads, parking, buildings etc.

Service area will be a great novelty until people realise that IF you fill up before you leave you save 5-6 cents a litre and great its wonderful for a pee stop but why spend millions on that.

If people are so keen on saving time then filling up before leave home sounds good way of doing it.

Just as well you dont work for the NRA - at least they now realise what a stupid mistake it was not to build them in the first place. And they are building them now.
My only hope is that the original lot who made decisions got the reward they deserved - a p45.

Iarmhi Gael

Odie - I have a car of three kids. Driving from Belfast to Cork. We're going 3 1/2 hours, I'm just pass Kildare Bypass, my kids are screaming in the Back - My car needs a refill, I'm beginning to get tired, the wife needs something to drink, the wee one needs changed, I need money and I'd love an ice-cream.

A fecking service station is needed for this. A short 15 min stop at a Motorway service station where, I can get some food, a bank, nappy changing facilty and fill up on Diesel.

I don't want to take a turn off and head into Kildare town, try and find a Filling station, head then to a bank and find a parking spot and somewhere to get a hot snack. That would take an hour by the time I get in and out And knowing my luck it will be 3pm on a Friday and the Schools will be coming out

Just as well you dont work for the NRA - at least they now realise what a stupid mistake it was not to build them in the first place. And they are building them now.
My only hope is that the original lot who made decisions got the reward they deserved - a p45.
Building them in the first place wouldn't have worked either, either way they will be white elephants.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies