Sessions is gone

Clanrickard

Jack Walsh

Jeff Sessions Resigns As Attorney General At President Trumps Request | HuffPost

Jeff Sessions has handed in his resignation at Trumps request. This was on the cards but the timing is surely designed to take away discussion of mid terms.
CNN have said they spoke with Giuliani and asked him would Trump now close the investigation, Giuliani said "yes I think he will, it's gone on long enough"

Jim Acosta asked Trump at WH today "was he concerned about rumoured pending indictments"
the rumours are that Junior is included in them.

I know there have been false dawns but emboldened by 4 extra senators, and two dissenters retired, I firmly believe Trump is going to now gamble and try to shut the whole thing down
And I firmly believe the likes of Lindsay Graham and other GOP senators who have warned him not to do so, will roll over and allow him to do so.

GDPR

DOJ has rules of succession in case of dismissal / firing, and the Acting AG should be the #2, Rosenstein. But in case of resignations, there is another act under which the president can appoint someone else qualified. This is why Cheeto appointed Whitaker, Sessions' Chief of Staff, who is on record as saying there should never have been a Special Counsel investigation.

Commentators speculate the wording of the resignation "at your request" amounts to a dismissal / firing. Therefore, it isn't exactly legal to appoint Whittaker. But Cheeto will do what he wants and it's debatable if anything can be done even if it's illegal.

D

Deleted member 34656

Wasn’t Sessions leading the investigation into Hillary’s Russian links?:confused:

Hitchcock

LiaWatha

CNN have said they spoke with Giuliani and asked him would Trump now close the investigation, Giuliani said "yes I think he will, it's gone on long enough"
Link? Because this is all I see on twitter and nothing shows up on google for that quote.

Rudy Giuliani told CNN re the Muller investigation: "Its gone on this long, I can't imagine he will end it now."

You wouldn't be making things up again would you?

GDPR

NBC and Bloomberg now reporting that Rod Rosenstein has been pulled off oversight of Mueller probe.

Strawberry

Whittaker will now do anything to limit the scope of the investigation and reduce the budget in order to protect Trumpski.

Edo

I think Trump just sped up his own downfall. All because he wants to look tough.
He is also notorious for pushing the envelope as far as he can.............................he thinks he can get away with it................lifetime modus operandi and all that..............with all the Republican Steers still in place in the Senate - he possibly might for the moment

Just imagine if Clinton had tried a stunt like this......................Im shortly awaiting Gingrich and the rest to totally justify this ....

firefly123

Say he does try to shut it down. Is there a precedent? What options are available or is it simply a case that presidents(and their associates) are above the law? Surely the whole checks and balances thing kicks in?

Jack Walsh

Link? Because this is all I see on twitter and nothing shows up on google for that quote.

Rudy Giuliani told CNN re the Muller investigation: "Its gone on this long, I can't imagine he will end it now."

You wouldn't be making things up again would you?
I was watching it live, and though that was what he said, if I am wrong, happy to be corrected.

I don't fabricate things, if I am wrong, I will correct it, happily, and have done so.

I am intrigued as to how a poster who has just joined P.ie and with just one previous post can have such an apparent in depth knowledge of my past posts?
ie
Get off the stage you spoofer with your "new member"
Rich to be demanding transparency and honesty from others when you clearly are deceiving us all with your "newbie" act.

dizillusioned

Say he does try to shut it down. Is there a precedent? What options are available or is it simply a case that presidents(and their associates) are above the law? Surely the whole checks and balances thing kicks in?
Oh there will be checks flying alright.... containing millions! Lots of good balances in some quarters too!

Clanrickard

He is also notorious for pushing the envelope as far as he can.............................he thinks he can get away with it................lifetime modus operandi and all that..............with all the Republican Steers still in place in the Senate - he possibly might for the moment

Just imagine if Clinton had tried a stunt like this......................Im shortly awaiting Gingrich and the rest to totally justify this ....
It's Trump so believe expect little other than stunts. Not really satisfactory but his support seems to be rock solid no matter what.

GDPR

Whitaker is some piece of work.

He is an evangelical dominionist--one of the radicals now all over the administration who believe Christians must control every branch of government, the media, and the rest of the "Seven Mountains" of civic life. He has said his criterion for approving judicial nominees is whether they are Christians and would enforce "biblical justice."

And he has called the Mueller investigation, of which he is now in charge, a "witch hunt." Democratic legislators should be investigated as collaborators with foreign governments, following Trump's favourite tactic of saying "I didn't do it, YOU DID" when accused of anything.

Jack Walsh

Whitaker is some piece of work.

He is an evangelical dominionist--one of the radicals now all over the administration who believe Christians must control every branch of government, the media, and the rest of the "Seven Mountains" of civic life. He has said his criterion for approving judicial nominees is whether they are Christians and would enforce "biblical justice."

And he has called the Mueller investigation, of which he is now in charge, a "witch hunt." Democratic legislators should be investigated as collaborators with foreign governments, following Trump's favourite tactic of saying "I didn't do it, YOU DID" when accused of anything.
Pelosi straight out of the blocks saying House will seek to ensure Whitaker must be recused of any involvement with Mueller given his past vocal opposition.

Given his record of threats to undermine & weaken the Russia investigation, Matthew Whitaker should recuse himself from any involvement in Mueller’s investigation. Congress must take immediate action to protect the rule of law and integrity of the investigation. #FollowTheFacts

Makes perfect sense, but this is Trump La La land

When you have a candidate for Governor legally allowed decide what votes are eligible in his own race, you really begin to wonder how America didn't fall asunder decades ago

The more you look, the whole political and judicial system, it is deeply deeply flawed, the time honored notion of "checks and balances" now a risible joke

Gerrymandering, vote suppression, census tampering, hopelessly out dated Electoral college and Senate state representation, court case determinations known in advance due to composite of judges (who will 95% simply vote for whatever the guy appointed them asks), Election candidates allowed to be the referee and arbitrator of the election they are running in
Attorney generals and DOJ now simply enforcers for Presidents

Constitutional override attempts with Presidential whims

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies