• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in a Just World

DJP

You are invited to debate and build an agenda for Irish, EU and world leaders on the Ireland we want and the world we want.

Ireland is growing more unequal, poverty is deepening, unemployment continues at an unacceptable level, and emigration is in full flow. We need a new model of development for Ireland and a new set of goals to guide and shape national strategy and public policy.

This event will identify a set of development goals for Ireland and for the wider world based on values of equality, environmental sustainability, social justice and participation.

Ireland holds the Presidency of the European Union just as the EU develops its policy position on what should follow the Millenium Development Goals of the United Nations.

This event provides an opportunity to influence the debate on the goals that should shape the future for Ireland and for the wider world. The conclusions from the event will be presented to EU Development Ministers prior to their May Council meeting.

Lunch will be provided

Saturday, 20th April 2013

RDS, Dublin

REGISTER NOW AT: claimingourfuture2013.eventbrite.ie

Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in a New World » World We Want

Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in Just World | Claiming Our Future

Article by Hans Zomer, Director of Dóchas in The Irish Examiner on Wednedsday:

Crises giving us opportunity to put things right | Irish Examiner

I will be going in a personal capacity and also of to cover the story for Raidió na Life and and to do a report in English for all the community radio stations in Ireland to give them the option of broadcasting. I hope to have the report in English podcast by Saturday evening and will post on here. I believe a live stream will also be available and I will post up a link to it on the day.

This conference is historic and I am looking forward to going. Are YOU coming?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Its a trick, it got nothing to do with Ireland but how to continue extracting treasure from Irish people to give away as "Aid". 600 million spent per year while cancer patients in Donegal struggle for local treatment.

myrak

The biggest 'trick' in the current mess is how the financial system created a funny money ponzi scheme and then was allowed to dump the consequences onto EU taxpayers and and their economies.

Consultation with and feedback from the payees seems long overdue, if not too late.

It may be worth noting that Aid going INTO developing countries has, for over 30 years, been dwarfed by the debt repayments coming OUT.

jmcc

The Poverty industry in full flow? So can anyone recap what is known about the "claiming our future" mob?

Zerubbabel

Sort out the corruption and jail skangers like Bertie, Seanie, Fingers, Dunner and Pals.

Untill then you are wasting your time.

Honest people do not go into Irish politics for good reason.

DJP

I often wonder if I should bother posting on this site but anyway....

Nóta/Note: I hope to also get a copy of the Irish language version of this press release on the event last Saturday. When I do I will start a thread like this one in the Gaeilge forum! :)

PRESS RELEASE

Claiming Our Future - Dóchas - The Wheel

Civil Society demands new focus on Equality, Governance and Sustainability

21st April 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Equality is the most important precondition for eliminating poverty according to a major gathering of activists and leaders of Irish civil society organisations at the RDS on Saturday.

The event – ‘Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in a Just World’ - was organised by Claiming Our Future in association with Dóchas and The Wheel. Through a deliberative process, participants sought to identify five priorities which the Irish Government must advance to guide European and global recovery and future development on a path that is just and sustainable.

A commitment to equality in all fields – economic, social and political – was identified as the top priority.

"Current policies are deepening inequality in Ireland and across the EU and the wider world. We need to guarantee a better future for all by setting priorities and targets relating to the areas most important to people’s quality of life. It is clear from people’s deliberations at this event that progress in areas such as people's well-being, employment and the environment cannot be made if we do not tackle inequality as one root cause of our current difficulties,” said Níall Crowley of Claiming Our Future.

‘New models of governance’ was the second priority identified at the event. Creating a more just and sustainable world requires people’s participation in public decision-making at all levels. Policy decisions and the rules that shape our world must be responsive to people's needs, particularly to those of the poorest in society, to ensure that people can lead the lives they aspire to.

“Participants agreed their shared vision for a flourishing and sustainable society and economy where people are treated with respect, experience equality, and participate in making decisions that affect them. Our job now is to work hard to include these goals in the new vision for global development being developed by the UN, and make sure they are applied in the Irish context,” said Ivan Cooper of The Wheel

The third priority identified was the creation of a sustainable model of global development. Participants identified the mounting environmental crisis and high levels of consumption by developed countries as an area of urgent concern.

“We currently use the equivalent of one-and-a-half planets to produce the resources we consume and the waste we produce. Sustainability requires that we achieve an ecological footprint smaller than or equal to one planet. It is unjust that poor people in developing countries are paying the price for our own lifestyles in developed countries and it is time we create a new model for development that puts that right, said Hans Zomer of Dóchas.

Saturday’s event took place in the context of the Irish EU Presidency and the global process to agree a successor to the Millennium Development Goals, whose deadline comes in 2015. Explaining the next steps towards the creation of a 'post-2015' global development framework, Zomer explained:

“This is a unique moment for Ireland and the world. The Irish EU Presidency means that Ireland can influence the EU’s negotiation stance on the successor to the Millennium Development Goals, and this in turn can influence the final outcome to be agreed by the UN.”

“As part of the UN’s process towards this, civil society consultations have taken place in nearly every developing country to ask what are the priorities of people in those countries. Saturday’s event was Ireland’s contribution to this important global discussion.”

“We hope that the voices expressed at today’s event will be listened to along with other voices from around the world and reflected in this new global framework for development,” concluded Zomer.

[ENDS]

Media enquiries

For all media enquiries, contact the Dóchas office:

Cliona Doyle, World We Want Coordinator, +353 (0) 1 405 3801, +353 87 411 3081,
Email: Europe@dochas.ie
Thomas Geoghegan, World We Want Information Officer, +353 (0) 1 405 3801,
+353 (0) 86 844 8637, Email: Thomas@dochas.ie

Notes for editors

More information on the Irish EU presidency’s role in influencing the new global framework for development can be found at World We Want -Campaign for a more just and sustainable Ireland in a fairer world
Further information on the event organisers can be found at www.claimingourfuture.ie,www.thewheel.ie and Dóchas: The Irish Association of Non-Governmental Development Organisations.

Last edited:

Trainwreck

You are invited to debate and build an agenda for Irish, EU and world leaders on the Ireland we want and the world we want.

Ireland is growing more unequal, poverty is deepening, unemployment continues at an unacceptable level, and emigration is in full flow. We need a new model of development for Ireland and a new set of goals to guide and shape national strategy and public policy.

This event will identify a set of development goals for Ireland and for the wider world based on values of equality, environmental sustainability, social justice and participation.

Ireland holds the Presidency of the European Union just as the EU develops its policy position on what should follow the Millenium Development Goals of the United Nations.

This event provides an opportunity to influence the debate on the goals that should shape the future for Ireland and for the wider world. The conclusions from the event will be presented to EU Development Ministers prior to their May Council meeting.

Lunch will be provided

Saturday, 20th April 2013

RDS, Dublin

REGISTER NOW AT: claimingourfuture2013.eventbrite.ie

Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in a New World » World We Want

Setting Goals for a Better Ireland in Just World | Claiming Our Future

Article by Hans Zomer, Director of Dóchas in The Irish Examiner on Wednedsday:

Crises giving us opportunity to put things right | Irish Examiner

I will be going in a personal capacity and also of to cover the story for Raidió na Life and and to do a report in English for all the community radio stations in Ireland to give them the option of broadcasting. I hope to have the report in English podcast by Saturday evening and will post on here. I believe a live stream will also be available and I will post up a link to it on the day.

This conference is historic and I am looking forward to going. Are YOU coming?

You left out the fine print:

GIVE US MORE TAXPAYERS' MONEY