Seven years for rape and severe beating

RodShaft

Laois man, who raped wife after she refused to hold his hand, jailed for seven years

It seems a little on the light side. Particularly when another man got six years today for kicking a man to death, I'm left wondering why sentencing is so light.

Irrelevant to the sentence, his wife seems to have been something of a bitch. His solution should however have been divorce, not beating her to a pulp and raping her...

I'm thinking ten years for him, and twenty years for the chap who kicked a middle aged junkie to death.

Emily Davison

Laois man, who raped wife after she refused to hold his hand, jailed for seven years

It seems a little on the light side. Particularly when another man got six years today for kicking a man to death, I'm left wondering why sentencing is so light.

Irrelevant to the sentence, his wife seems to have been something of a bitch. His solution should however have been divorce, not beating her to a pulp and raping her...

I'm thinking ten years for him, and twenty years for the chap who kicked a middle aged junkie to death.

Mercurial

I don't know whether the sentence is appropriate or not, but it seems to me that part of what makes a good justice system is that its rules are understood and endorsed by the people the system is supposed to protect.

We shouldn't be left wondering when sentences like these are passed down - the rationale should be set out in a straightforward way that ordinary people can understand, so that we see exactly why the system does what it does.

RodShaft

Did you attend the trials/sentencing hearings (or just plucking numbers?)
No. I'm just going on reports. I'm a little more comfortable commenting on sentencing than I am on guilt.

derryman

Does this really need a thread.

storybud1

Did you attend the trials/sentencing hearings (or just plucking numbers?)
Do you know what a victim feels ?

Do you know what their families feel ?

Do you know right from wrong ?

Sure, sentencing yer man with the garlic imports instead of apples or whatever got him 6 years ? and he never committed a crime before ?

It is not plucking numbers, it is common sense, killer gets 6 years for kicking a guy to death, Gilligan is back in his place, the courts are still the laughing stock of common sense and yet we have a democratic Country that is afraid to apply law and order ?

you can attend the circus maximus , I will stick to common sense,

wexfordman

Well, a guy running a cafe beat a customer to death on the footpath in Dublin over 60c, and got six years today!!
Joke of a justice system

RodShaft

Well, a guy running a cafe beat a customer to death on the footpath in Dublin over 60c, and got six years today!!
Joke of a justice system
You did read my OP? I referred to that very matter in the post you quoted.

amist4

Do you know what a victim feels ?

Do you know what their families feel ?

Do you know right from wrong ?

Sure, sentencing yer man with the garlic imports instead of apples or whatever got him 6 years ? and he never committed a crime before ?

It is not plucking numbers, it is common sense, killer gets 6 years for kicking a guy to death, Gilligan is back in his place, the courts are still the laughing stock of common sense and yet we have a democratic Country that is afraid to apply law and order ?

you can attend the circus maximus , I will stick to common sense,
Not disagreeing with you but this isn't alright with me. If there is tax to be paid on garlic, it is absolutely no different than tax to be paid on anything else such as capital gains or inheritance.

D

Deleted member 34656

Why do you keep nosing into private family matters?

It's not for us to speculate, what went on in the relationship.

If she didn't want to be raped and beaten, she should have held his hand or gotten a divorce.

RodShaft

why do you keep nosing into private family matters?

It's not for us to speculate, what went on in the relationship.

if she didn't want to be raped and beaten, she should have held his hand or gotten a divorce.

wtf?

RodShaft

Sorry, I see she wasn't raped, actually.

Pretty harsh sentence for a bit of rough, no?
He was convicted of rape.

Punching someone in the face five or six times doesn't generally signify consent.

man-in-street

Twitter
n/a

The last bit of the report in the link is

"The woman said she was not physically forced to have sex, but that she was in fear for her life."
This is not sitting well with me. "The woman said she was not physically forced to have sex, but ...................... .
Fill in other possible reasons and think about it.

RodShaft

This is not sitting well with me. "The woman said she was not physically forced to have sex, but ...................... .
He punched her in the face five or six times.

ellie08

You did see she was punched in the face a few times. But you fill in the blanks - you know best :roll:

New Threads

Most Replies