• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sex offenders - a solution?

fluffykontbiscuits

In reading what has been in the public domain what would you lot think of the following solution to solve the problems off sex offenders. I have heard numerous people say "shoot them" (women in work mostly!) but first this is my understanding of rape.

Rape is in nine times out of ten related to power and feeling of inadequacies in their own life and therefore to regain some power in their life they feel they must harm other people (in this case women). Sex and agression are linked in with power which in a mans case is run by the hormone testosterone. Why not surgically fit a patch inside these men that will dampen their sex drive and take the edge of them. If we cut out testosterone and just keep it to a minimum for them to function, surley we can dampen their urges? Throwing this open to comment...

toughbutfair

The death penalty ensures no reoffending.

It should be done the Chinese way so that it is cheap. Once found guilty, brought out back and hung. They should do it in public so people can see justice being done.

Libertarian Contrarian

It should be done the Chinese way so that it is cheap. Once found guilty, brought out back and hung. They should do it in public so people can see justice being done.
I know Rape is a horrible thing and one of the most nefarious things a man can commit. But don't you think what you've said is a bit extreme?

Libertarian Contrarian

no.....what he said is spot on.simple as.no need to go around in circles with this one.
It is a savage act. Are you so vehement about it because it scars the woman for life? I could say the same about a burglar or a mugger who mugs an old lady or a young woman, it will scar her for life. As would a drug addict holding up someone.

I know where you're coming from - but where do we stop with regards to the death penalty? And public executions are a insane idea.

toughbutfair

It is a savage act. Are you so vehement about it because it scars the woman for life? I could say the same about a burglar or a mugger who mugs an old lady or a young woman, it will scar her for life. As would a drug addict holding up someone.

I know where you're coming from - but where do we stop with regards to the death penalty? And public executions are a insane idea.
You are against the death penaly, fair enough. HOwever, ignoring that, why is having it in public "insane". Other parts of the world do it. Justice should be seen to be done and many would enjoy seeing a child rapist hung.

typical

Rape is in nine times out of ten related to power
The crime is always about power because the crime itself is the removal of the power of sexual consent from the victim. If it was just sex, the frustrated person would go find a prostitute.

The reason for the prevalence of rape as an instrument of power (and why it's so traumatic) is probably that we invest so much importance on, and assign so much power to, sex and sexuality. It's almost revered, more than life in a lot of ways. Depictions of graphic death are far less taboo than depictions of graphic sex.

It's possible that the best way to "solve" the problem is to assign sex and sexuality the relative importance it's actually due, not create more mystique and power around it.

fluffykontbiscuits

The crime is always about power because the crime itself is the removal of the power of sexual consent from the victim. If it was just sex, the frustrated person would go find a prostitute.

The reason for the prevalence of rape as an instrument of power (and why it's so traumatic) is probably that we invest so much importance on, and assign so much power to, sex and sexuality. It's almost revered, more than life in a lot of ways. Depictions of graphic death are far less taboo than depictions of graphic sex.

It's possible that the best way to "solve" the problem is to assign sex and sexuality the relative importance it's actually due, not create more mystique and power around it.

Very good post typical thats a very interesting way of looking at it. To assign sex and sexuality less importance would take a lot of ground work and would be in my opinion a very hard task considering the amount of sex that we are surrounded by. If we were to do what you say and make sex less appealing , what would it be replaced with in terms of an instrument of abuse?

stripey cat

I know Rape is a horrible thing and one of the most nefarious things a man can commit. But don't you think what you've said is a bit extreme?

Some people get a kind of sexual thrill out of writing fantasies on the internet about hanging people.

It's sad, but you should feel sorry for them and move on.

Eventually they will find the right website for them.

typical

To assign sex and sexuality less importance would take a lot of ground work and would be in my opinion a very hard task considering the amount of sex that we are surrounded by.
I'm not so sure. A lot of the power of sex is due to it's mystique and the unrealistic ideal as opposed to actual experience which exists. The sex we're surrounded by is about as far from the actual experience of sex as Bob the builder is from a bricky and I think this just makes things worse.

I think a simple step like allowing sex to be depicted realistically in any media would go a big way toward bursting this bubble. Not air-brushed, not stylistically soft shot, just simple, everyday sex. It normalizes real sex and allows people to realistically discuss and think about sex and their own sexuality in it's proper context. It might also remove a lot of the emasculation pressures we're told create rapists.

Dispelling the mystique would go a long way to destroying the inordinate power attached.

If we were to do what you say and make sex less appealing , what would it be replaced with in terms of an instrument of abuse?
No idea. Murder?

Libertarian Contrarian

You are against the death penaly, fair enough. HOwever, ignoring that, why is having it in public "insane". Other parts of the world do it. Justice should be seen to be done and many would enjoy seeing a child rapist hung.
You're tough, but unfair. I don't think we should be basing our principles on third world countries.

fluffykontbiscuits

I'm not so sure. A lot of the power of sex is due to it's mystique and the unrealistic ideal as opposed to actual experience which exists. The sex we're surrounded by is about as far from the actual experience of sex as Bob the builder is from a bricky and I think this just makes things worse.

I think a simple step like allowing sex to be depicted realistically in any media would go a big way toward bursting this bubble. Not air-brushed, not stylistically soft shot, just simple, everyday sex. It normalizes real sex and allows people to realistically discuss and think about sex and their own sexuality in it's proper context. It might also remove a lot of the emasculation pressures we're told create rapists.

Dispelling the mystique would go a long way to destroying the inordinate power attached.

No idea. Murder?

Now that idea I like, it would create a completley open forum for debate of sexual issues and throw off the Catholic guilt that was instilled in everyone. Among my friends and certain family sex is openly discussed, its not something we ever shy away from and I do think that if we brought it out in the wider world it would allow for debate and more openess. The only thing I would be worried about though is that if murder replaced rape would we not be opening up a whole new can of worms? Its the lesser of two evils? (Im treading softly here but Im sure you all know what I mean).

Libertarian Contrarian

I am being unfair to , for example, a man that rapes children?

I don't see how that is possible.
No, on the public executions. It's hard to argue with your logic as it really is hard to debate - I'd love nothing more than Larry Murphy to get a good hiding, but the death penalty is one thing, and public executions is extreme.

We'll agree to disagree.

A life imprisonment is enough for me.

typical

The only thing I would be worried about though is that if murder replaced rape would we not be opening up a whole new can of worms? Its the lesser of two evils? (Im treading softly here but Im sure you all know what I mean).
Is it the lesser of two evils though? If you're murdered you either don't care anymore or you're in a better place, if you're raped, you're screwed up for life in a lot of cases. I wouldn't say either's "lesser", they're just different.

Also, it's a lot easier to find, convict and detain a serial murderer than a serial rapist because of the nature of the crime and it's impact.

typical

I am being unfair to , for example, a man that rapes children?

I don't see how that is possible.
Unless you're able to 100% guarantee that there will never, ever be a wrongful conviction, you're being unfair to innocent people.

Sit in on any local courthouse on court day, the cops and judiciary in this country can't be relied on to convict properly on drink driving charges, there's no way they're responsible enough to decide life and death.

fluffykontbiscuits

Well the impact of a murder is a lot more devestating I would in my opinion think than the impact of a rape. Its an interesting theory, do we take the mystique out of sex and replace it with something else? (inevitably it will be replaced by something else, other people will do this)

evercloserunion

And if he's wrongly found guilty?

Chairman Meow

Alan Turing disapproves of this idea :(

Seriously though, why go around compromising the right to bodily integrity with strange and unusual punishments when there is stuff we can do that we know works, it gets results. Calling for a program such as "Circles" which has shown some great success in areas where it's used in reducing re-offending would be a lot more productive than seeking that they be hung; although I admit that we won't get to satisfy that vengeful feeling we all feel upon hearing these stories, but I'm sure as hell willing to sacrifice that if it means a reduction in re-offending without resorting to human rights violations.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies