Seymour Crawford TD to retire from Politics

spotty

An announcement this evening, Spotty hears, from a good source.

jayblue

point taken david, funny was never me really, yes i did know who he was, which is a bit scarey.

Now the bigger question is with all these FG resignations, will FG retain the seats or will other parties slip in and steal their thunder

Holy Cow

Did Spotty hear why he is quitting?

Goodbody

The end of this Dail term is sounding like a Reality TV Show:

"I'm a Dail Deputy. Get Me Out of Here!"

michaelo

FG TD for Cavan/Monaghan, no need to be smart Jay, if you've nowt to post, post nowt.
I had the same response as JayBlue. Who? I genuinely never heard of the guy, amazing considering he has been a TD for the last 18 years (found that fact out via wikipedia).

Desperate Dan

Are we not to see more of crawford

spotty

No, but Spotty would note that Seymour always got a big Presbyterian vote. Maybe worth 4 or 5 thousand first prefs. Which makes Spotty wonder whether Cllr. Heather Humphries might not be favourite to succeed him on the ticket, even if she is the weakest of three possible nominees on paper.........

Riadach

So Fine Gael now has two tds who could abstain without electoral consequences, allowing the rest of FG to vote against any upcoming budget, and thus be visibly opposed.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Just to say, Fine Gael are confirming to Politics.ie that Deputy Crawford will be retiring at the next general election, but that a statement won't be issued (by them) on the matter until tomorrow.

Good spot, Spotty.

king5494

As they call him in Cavan "see less Crawford " only visible every 4 Half years when it's time of election.

With all these retirements one would think they've realised that Politics is going to dramatically change in Ireland over the next few years.

Gary Carville might be better positioned in the local organisation to get the nod- although Humphries might be the better bet to retain the seat: She manages the Credit Union in Cootehill but is chair of Monaghan CoCo so crosses the county boundary- if Rory O'Hanlon retires and Diarmuid Wilson runs for FF, and SF choose a Cavan candidate as their second (all likely) she might be very well-placed. Also, she has the old Protestant Association vote and would have the farming vote if Seymour campaigns heavily for her (which he should seeing as she is very much his protegee and took over his council seat). A female candidate might steal some of Maragret Conlon's thunder too. I know that's a lot of 'ifs'.
Senator Joe O'Reilly will clearly be a candidate but anyone well informed of who the third FG candidate would be?

LiberalFG

Twitter
@dmvmurphy
Maybe he realizes he has no chance of a ministerial position in a 100+ TD government.

breakingnews

Does he have any achievements other than getting re elected several times?

I notice the older FFers haven't announced their retirement yet....

derm0t

With all these retirements one would think they've realised that Politics is going to dramatically change in Ireland over the next few years.
Indeed.

Arthur Morgan is shown the books by the Ministry of Finance, and 4 weeks later announces his retirement, to spend more time with the family business.

If that's not a sign, what is?

Regarding See-less, he sounds like Godfrey Timmins, Wicklow TD. The Invisible Man, that one. Just another argument for a list system. Get rid of these place-holders!

On_The_Far_Right

Ive the greatest respect for Seymour, a very decent man and man of intergrity and honesty. I hope he has a long and healthy retirement. He has represented CM with great effect over past 2 decades.

culmore

Hope the same announcement comes from a lot more on all sides, new faces needed allround

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies