SF calling for a vote on pay rise for TD's

GDPR

Don't know if there's a thread on this already, if so move as seen fit.

SF are calling for a vote next week on the proposed 5,000 per year rise for all TD's.
The other 3 main parties seem OK with the rise, but it will be interesting to see how they vote on the matter.

In my opinion this is not about the size of any increase, but about leadership an fair play to SF for giving that point of view a voice.

The rest just don't seem to get it.

off with their heads

No pay rise for anyone else in the country but 5k for politicians is an unacceptable situation

PBP voter

No pay rise for anyone else in the country but 5k for politicians is an unacceptable situation
Principal officers are getting it I would think. TDs pay is the very same as them.

wexfordman

SF are calling for a vote next week on the proposed 5,000 per year rise for all TD's.
The other 3 main parties seem OK with the rise, but it will be interesting to see how they vote on the matter.

In my opinion this is not about the size of any increase, but about leadership an fair play to SF for giving that point of view a voice.

Can they also call a vote to end mileage allowance for TD's commuting to the dail please!

In order to have a functional and fair political system, we need to have TD's who are equally impacted by the decisions they make, particularly around taxation, pensions, retirement etc.

im axeled

the goverment will tell the shinners who they are helping to starve the poor in n.i. that will justify their sick raise

culmore

as far as I know this is a part restoration of paycuts made when we were brankrupt and all pay for public servants was cut, and all public servants are now getting some of this back under the wage agreements, so all PS workers are getting this not just politicians

im axeled

Can they also call a vote to end mileage allowance for TD's commuting to the dail please!

In order to have a functional and fair political system, we need to have TD's who are equally impacted by the decisions they make, particularly around taxation, pensions, retirement etc.
how many minimun wage workers are supposed to live on a td's unvouched expenses?.

VHF

Remind me again, what is the justification for this request for pay increase?

While we're on the subject, it will be extremely useful if we could have a clear visibility around the current remuneration package of a TD, their current basic gross annual salary, together with all additional benefits, what is the true ultimate grossed up remuneration value per annum right now?

realistic1

This is a good move from SF. There is big push among senior Public/Civil service personnel to get their wages above the Celtic tiger peaks. They will then be easily able to take another pay cut when the next economic disaster hits.

Florence

how many minimun wage workers are supposed to live on a td's unvouched expenses?.
A very good question. I suggest you ask Katherine Zappone who was, as a senator, paid €20,795 pa unvouched to cover her travel costs commuting via the scenic route (she says 28 km each way) to her lucrative part time gig in the Seanad. She goes on about equality but what about equality for minimum wage workers paying travelling costs for the same distance as her to work? Any travel contribution from the employer is taxable - except in the case of politicians.

Florence

Remind me again, what is the justification for this request for pay increase?

While we're on the subject, it will be extremely useful if we could have a clear visibility around the current remuneration package of a TD, their current basic gross annual salary, together with all additional benefits, what is the true ultimate grossed up remuneration value per annum right now?
It is not an increase - it is pay RESTORATION as some years ago - they linked their pay to the principal officer grade in the public service - and hence sadly they had to take horrendous pay cuts. Sob, sob. Uninformed people are saying it is a pay rise and contrasting their 'pay rise with the increase of €5 pw for OAPs the payment date for which is uncertain.

Their current salary is €87258 gross but when you factor in the large unvouched 'travel' expenses for those who live within a normal commute you get a higher figure as those 'travel' allowances are really salary called travel to avoid being taxed on it. Dublin TDs get €9000 pa but allowing for 40% income tax, PRSI, USC etc this is equivalent to about €18,000 pa making their salary over €100,000. If you gross up the Band 1 allowance of €25,295 pa (25km -59 km from the Dail) it would be about €50,000.

wexfordman

A very good question. I suggest you ask Katherine Zappone who was, as a senator, paid €20,795 pa unvouched to cover her travel costs commuting via the scenic route (she says 28 km each way) to her lucrative part time gig in the Seanad. She goes on about equality but what about equality for minimum wage workers paying travelling costs for the same distance as her to work? Any travel contribution from the employer is taxable - except in the case of politicians.
Incredible isnt it. I mean we effectively have a ruling class implementing policy and law that they are removed from and immune from themselves.

Spanner Island

I wouldn't mind if they were any good or if they weren't among the best paid politicians in the world... but they don't seem to be up to much at all... any of them... and despite some pay cuts after the crash they still remain among the best paid politicians in the world (which proves how overpaid they were in the first place)... so no... no pay rises for them for now.

Ditto the 'state' system... plenty of useless wasters being paid far too much for doing far too little.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies