SF councillor sneers at the bereaved

cillian32

Could it be that he wishes to keep his own snout in the trough?

It's the idea of him implying that she only got elected to get her snout in the trough I find somewhat odd, given that's it's coming from another politician.

It's like a shop assistant claiming another shop assistant only applied for the job because they wanted to be a shop assistant.

It's true, but what actual point is being made?
Only one problem there, SF tds and Cllrs will only ever get the AIW the rest goes to the party or to open constituency offices ect......So his "snout " will never be in the trough .

meriwether

Only one problem there, SF tds and Cllrs will only ever get the AIW the rest goes to the party or to open constituency offices ect......So his "snout " will never be in the trough .
In other words, they spend it on getting themselves elected.

Because thats what 'the party' and 'constituency offices' means.

Every politican spends their own money on getting re-elected. Its how they get re-elected.

Blokesbloke

That doesn't mean that just as much swill doesn't go in his snout though - it just means that he regurgitates some of back to SF HQ. The taxpayer sure as hell never sees it again either way!

In this case it appears SF HQ are worried that their share of his swill is in danger with such comments, so they've forced him to issue an apology and told him to shut up and get his head back in the trough!

cillian32

Every politican spends their own money on getting re-elected. Its how they get re-elected.
Yes they spend their own money on getting elected ....in election year.The other 4 years the money goes.......Yep you guessed it .....into their big fat bank accounts.

cillian32

That doesn't mean that just as much swill doesn't go in his snout though - it just means that he regurgitates some of back to SF HQ. The taxpayer sure as hell never sees it again either way!

In this case it appears SF HQ are worried that their share of his swill is in danger with such comments, so they've forced him to issue an apology and told him to shut up and get his head back in the trough!
Hes a cllr ....They dont get paid a whole lot .

Last edited:

meriwether

Yes they spend their own money on getting elected ....in election year.The other 4 years the money goes.......Yep you guessed it .....into their big fat bank accounts.
So SF spend 5 times more than everyone else getting re-elected?

pippakin

The North Tipperary councillor who spawned the thread below is in the wars again.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign-affairs/208684-israel-when-picture-tells-thousand-lies.html

This time he's having a go at the grieving family of Shane McEntee and claiming that they were able to put their grief to one side and "keep their snouts in the trough".

What is about some Sinn Féiners that they can't keep their innate tendency towards nastiness out of public discourse? I don't see it with other parties.

The chap in question has since grudgingly apologised.

SF councillor apologises for McEntee ‘snouts in the trough’ comment

Morris defends
A shinner behaving like a shinner is hardly news. If the craeture had shown the least sign of human understanding that would be news.

Blokesbloke

Hes a cllr ....They do get paid a whole lot .
I presume you mean don't?

So SF councillors aren't trough-snouters but SF TDs are?

Are those goalposts heavy, dear?

realistic1

Obviously she dosent regard Celtic jerseys runners and denims as suitable atire for the polling booth. There is a certain type of scumbag attracted to SF because they think it gives them a hard man image. Useful idiots is what Stalin called these type.

The above is what the media like to portray as Sinn Fein voters. In Limerick we have a FF TD and if you see some of the supporters he attracts you would be shocked.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I think in the interests of full disclosure, you should also outline that your father was a politician (this is information you have previously disclosed, and your signature is a clear identifier of who you are).

The only reason Helen McEntee 'inherited' a seat and you didn't, is because she is electable, and you aren't.

You'd have 'inherited' a seat too, if people had voted for you in enough numbers.
I was offered a co-option Meri, I refused it

I also only ever stood on my own feet and not following in my fathers footsteps. In fact, when I originally ran in 2004, he was dead set against the idea, to the point where I told him if he didn't agree with me, I'd run myself anyway.

Which I did in 2009.

I don't think there is any comparison whatsoever between myself and Helen Mc Entee in terms of an inherited seat.

Now Meri.. me and you get on ok in here.. you're not a rabid mad blueshirt lunatic in the same mould as Tough Paddy or Ryan Tubbs (aka Barry)... TP gets a small pass as an Arsenal fan btw..

But are you going to tell me for a second.. that had Helen Mc Entee been no relation whatsoever to Shane Mc Entee, she'd have gotten the FG nod in the bye election ?

emulator

tell us more, links etc.
You know well enough there won't be any links for something like that but, local knowledge will always spread.... you'll just have to be patient.

It will eventually seep out....

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
a good post, but if he is all the things you say, how is he so easily cowed by HQ ? After all Meath W TD O Toibin is his own man over abortion,and and HQ have not dictated to him.
That surprised me a bit, to be honest.

meriwether

I was offered a co-option Meri, I refused it

I also only ever stood on my own feet and not following in my fathers footsteps. In fact, when I originally ran in 2004, he was dead set against the idea, to the point where I told him if he didn't agree with me, I'd run myself anyway.

Which I did in 2009.

I don't think there is any comparison whatsoever between myself and Helen Mc Entee in terms of an inherited seat.

Now Meri.. me and you get on ok in here.. you're not a rabid mad blueshirt lunatic in the same mould as Tough Paddy or Ryan Tubbs (aka Barry)... TP gets a small pass as an Arsenal fan btw..

But are you going to tell me for a second.. that had Helen Mc Entee been no relation whatsoever to Shane Mc Entee, she'd have gotten the FG nod in the bye election ?
As I said, the reason McEntee inherited a seat and you didn't, is because you got nowehere near the votes.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
As I said, the reason McEntee inherited a seat and you didn't, is because you got nowehere near the votes.
But you are completely ignoring the other questions/points I amn making

1. Why did FG blame the pressure of being a TD being a cause of Shane Mc Entee committing suicide, and then so readily put his daughter back into the same line of fire as her father was in ?

2. Was she "the best woman for the job".. or the "best woman to get elected".. those are two different things ?

3. Would she have been chosen had she not been a Mc Entee ?

DaveM

If you look a little closer into those figures, you will see that the SF average amount was €30,102, which was Seamie's amount, as he is the only SF county councillor in Tipperary..

Lower than the average amounts taken by the FF, FG and Lab councillors, and only higher than the Independents amount, because the Independents amount is artificially lowered by the WUAG's refusal to take up their allowances to attend conferences.

As for the substantive issue.

First of all, I am a personal friend of Seamie's, and from knowing him, and his attitude to politics, I can tell you, the country would be 100 times better off, if we had 166 Seamie Morris' in the Dail, that the cowardly PC media scared lot we have at the moment.

Seamie does what he says on the tin.. i.e. speaks his mind. I've seen him do it in print media, on the radio, and in public. No fear nor favour. If something should be said, he says it.

I have no doubt the only reason he issued the apology, was that he was forced to by HQ, and that is the reason why, despite many people asking me why don't I rejoin SF, is the reason why I don't rejoin SF. My politics maybe Republican and Left wing in outlook, but why should I have to stop speaking my mind if I truly believe something.

I would disagree to a small extent with the snouts in the trough comment that Seamie made.. I don't think that was the main consideration for Helen Mc Entee standing.

But it does sicken me listening to FG supporters here and in public, talking about how she "was the best person for the job, and that's why the party put her forward"

If Helen Mc Entee had been a non elected FG member, from a small branch in Nobber, with no connection whatsoever to the TD who passed away, she wouldn't have gotten her name on the ballot paper at a selection convention, never mind be put forward. And if by some miracle she did, she wouldn't have been elected last month.

Helen Mc Entee was cynically used by the local and national FG organisation, to win the seat. Simple as that. And she did so, so result. Fair enough, that's politics. But suggesting she got through convention with no one opposing her.. is bull... the ca,paign posters were already printed before the convention was held

Let's not fool ourselves how or why she is where she is.

FG came out decrying the social media for driving Shane Mc Entee to his suicide... how could they know what caused it. Since his death I have heard of at least 3 very personal reasons which were behind it. To talk about the pressure political life put on the Mc Entee family, and then cynically thrust his daughter into a by election, is in my books, the height of hypocrisy

Seamie is a dead straight, and times too straight it could be said, public rep. He does have rough edges.. and he's the first to admit it that he has them. But anyone, whether a member of a political party or none, who has ever gone to him for help, and who were entitled to help, because Seamie doesn't do chance your arm help.. has been helped by him. Go into the town of Nenagh, and ask people what they think of Seamie... you'll find a fair chunk of people who'll give him 100% support.
RoC, I agree with much of what you say regarding in terms of the cynicism we've seen from FG in both their attempt to blame social media for Shane McEntee taking his life and their placement of his daughter on the ballot paper to maximise their chances of holding the seat (something that all parties have form on it must be said) but that's not what is at issue here. The comment that has Seamus Morris in the dock

Isn't is amazing that the McEntee family can put their grief to one side to keep their snouts in the trough?
implied that grieving the loss of a family member was of secondary importance to Helen McEntee to milking the political system for personal financial reward. Even allowing for the jaundiced manner in which much of Irish politics should be viewed, that was a crass, insensitive and stupid thing to say about someone I doubt he has ever met. And if the only reason he apologised was because he was told to by SF HQ then that shows him up as even less of a man.

john scott

What is so strange is how long it took this story to hit the national media. It was front page news on the Tipperary Star over a week ago. Can you imagine if a FG, FF, or Labour local representative made such a nasty comment it would be on the national media immediately. And indeed there would be a big discussion about it on politics.ie also. Morris defended his comments at first and it seems obvious that he was eventually brought to heel by SF head office. Morris has some form in this sort of behaviour. For most decent people it was an appalling remark.

NewDawn1

You've only established that you're an idiot :rolleyes:
Go on, call me a fascist, you know you want to.

What was that Orwell quote again????

john scott

FG are getting a lot of criticism for running Helen McEntee. As I understand it there was no pressure put on her and she said herself that she wanted to stand in the election. No doubt FG were delighted when they got that good news. In elections you stand the candidate who will win the seat. To do otherwise is stupid. There are a lot of great candidates out there but if you can't get the votes into the ballot box then there is no point in standing. FG did what any well-organised political party would do. They went out to win the seat and that's what they did. Having said that Helen McEntee worked for her father in the Dail, she knows the constituency, she's well educated and she's a young woman. She is the type candidate other political parties would love to have. Of course her name, McEntee, was important.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom