• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

SF/IRA Must Accept That The Criminal Violence Was Wrong

between the bridges

Mike Nesbitt
But he also said Mr Kearney’s assertion that unionist complaints that they had not been able to hear the words of republicans over the sound of guns and bombs were right amounted to “an abject confession that the terrorist campaign was a failure”.

“Republicans need to have uncomfortable conversations with themselves first. Let me suggest this as a starting point.

“Admit that if there was something wrong with the way Northern Ireland used to be governed, no one needed to die, or be injured, to achieve the fix,” he added.

“Acknowledge your responsibility for the fact that many... suffer the consequences in physical and mental pain... and apologise for the actions, not just the consequences.”

There was no immediate response from Sinn Fein.

Read more: Mike Nesbitt: Sinn Fein must accept IRA 'war' unjustified - Politics, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Obviously all the violence was wrong and achieved nothing other than further division, if SF/IRA have any notion of actual outreach sooner or later they will have to admit this. Difficult to achieve while the ''war'' vet's still hold office and with the army council puppet masters pulling the strings but someday SF may separate itself from the IRA and become an actual/solely political party...

As for Nesbitt initially i completely dismissed him, and at times he can be caught out on some subjects, but he does come across as being genuine in his attempts to support victims, which is more than can be said for most of our politicians...

theloner

After, will unionists want pictures of SF running the knife into the back of the IRA men and women who lost their lives in the conflict?

Tommythesash

SF/IRA Must Accept That The Criminal Violence Was Wrong

lol!

Seriously though, people like Nesbitt come off with this piffle just to gain media face time. It happens all the time here in America, usually among people like Irelands UUP who have a very low media profile.

Mackers

I listened to the debate between Nesbitt and Kearney this morning and it went nowhere. But thankfully the callers after them for the most part were saying that there isn't going to be any coming together on the subject of the past and we need to concentrate on the future. I totally agree. Here is the rub. The word that is being used to explain the forward movement of the peace process is "reconciliation" which would be fine except for the fact that the state of Northern Ireland was never conciled in the first place, so to reconcile it is impossible. That said we can move forward on the joint acceptance that for the sake of our futures and our children's we find some way to agree to disagree, otherwise we are doomed to repeat the past.

Now we have to take into account "the victims" yes we do but even there we have difficulty as to who "the victims" were. As someone on the program said the harsh reality is that victims will never get what they want, sorry but this is the truth. And I speak as someone who lost family in the conflict. I have to accept that for the sake of not having more victims my family's loss will have to be suffered as such. Apologies to anyone who doesn't think this way but these are my thoughts on the matter.

theloner

The IRA said before:

"There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives."

The IRA said the future would not be found in "denying collective failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to the plight of those who had been hurt. That includes all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and non-combatants.

John Taylor said what the IRA said was "not sufficient as it is not sympathy that Ulster Unionists want from the IRA but an assurance that the war is over.".

Taylor's demand has been met as the PIRA no longer exist, SF is part of governing the place it wished to destroy, and it encourages nationalists to go to the PSNI with information about dissos. Now Ulster Unionists have shifted the goal posts again and want SF to run the knife in further. Get lost.

IRA issues apology for killings | Mail Online

between the bridges

After, will unionists want pictures of SF running the knife into the back of the IRA men and women who lost their lives in the conflict?
we already have that...

Dub01

theloner

we already have that...
And here is a republican reaction to the more recent unionist demand.
[video=youtube;MSHaCzb3yYk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHaCzb3yYk[/video]

between the bridges

You lads really aren`t interested in peace are you?
We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.
Dalai Lama

Tommythesash

If SF/IRA weren't interested in peace would they have gone as far as to shake hands with Britains leading monarch? I cannot imagine anything so repulsive and repugnant. Martin really took one for the team here.

theloner

You lads really aren`t interested in peace are you?
It's impressive, once again, not giving a flying f*ck how your group/sect is perceived. Not a hint of embarrassment.

between the bridges

The IRA said before:

"There have been fatalities amongst combatants on all sides. We also acknowledge the grief and pain of their relatives."

The IRA said the future would not be found in "denying collective failures and mistakes or closing minds and hearts to the plight of those who had been hurt. That includes all of the victims of the conflict, combatants and non-combatants.

John Taylor said what the IRA said was "not sufficient as it is not sympathy that Ulster Unionists want from the IRA but an assurance that the war is over.".

Taylor's demand has been met as the PIRA no longer exist, SF is part of governing the place it wished to destroy, and it encourages nationalists to go to the PSNI with information about dissos. Now Ulster Unionists have shifted the goal posts again and want SF to run the knife in further. Get lost.

IRA issues apology for killings | Mail Online
they say many things but actions speak louder than words..
It's only four years since the IRA as an organisation stopped killing people, and it was responsible for over 40 murders since calling its final ceasefire in 1997,
Ceasefire meant nothing to gangs - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

"when the IRA was finally disbanded in September 2008, the one remaining link that kept many in the party only relatively happy was the fact that the army council stayed in place".

He continues that one MLA "expressed to me in very open terms that he knew who really held the power in the party, and accepted that this was the best way to get on with the work".

In essence he knew that "the elected representatives didn't hold the real power, rather it was held by a blend of ard chomhairle and army council members: everyone was meant to be equal but in classical terms some were more equal than others."
BBC News - Billy Leonard's journey from RUC reservist to Sinn Fein MLA

theloner

We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.
Dalai Lama
Oh the Dalai Lama, another great man unionists made an absolute show of themselves over when he visited. Here's what Sammy Wilson had to say:

Lord Mayor of Belfast and a member of the Democratic Unionist Party, said: "I don't think many people in Belfast know who the Dalai Lama is.
"I don't know anything about the man or his teachings and I've never had much of an interest in the affairs of his country. I think people can afford to be a bit cynical. I certainly am."

Unionists angered as Dalai Lama sees Adams - Telegraph

physicist

physicist

Oh the Dalai Lama, another great man unionists made an absolute show of themselves over when he visited. Here's what Sammy Wilson had to say:

Lord Mayor of Belfast and a member of the Democratic Unionist Party, said: "I don't think many people in Belfast know who the Dalai Lama is.
"I don't know anything about the man or his teachings and I've never had much of an interest in the affairs of his country. I think people can afford to be a bit cynical. I certainly am."

Unionists angered as Dalai Lama sees Adams - Telegraph
Well few know him as Lhamo Dondrub.
14th Dalai Lama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aristodemus

Looks like we are back in Paisley territory ie being made to wear sackcloth and ashes. That said, Sinn Féin must surely have expected this whilst making all the running on past wrongs of the British Army and Establishment. You cannot be selective in demanding apologies or demanding investigations into certain events and then not expecting to face such things yourself.

Ex celt

If SF/IRA weren't interested in peace would they have gone as far as to shake hands with Britains leading monarch? I cannot imagine anything so repulsive and repugnant. Martin really took one for the team here.
Who is Britain's not so leading monarch?
There is no equivalence between the criminal activities of sf/ira and so called state violence.This has been accepted by sf/ira which has given up its arsenal(allegedly). The State has not.

Mackers

Who is Britain's not so leading monarch?
There is no equivalence between the criminal activities of sf/ira and so called state violence.This has been accepted by sf/ira which has given up its arsenal(allegedly). The State has not.
Well that's that sorted. Put the cat out, turn off the lights. Let's all tippytoe up the wooden hill and go sleppybyes. Night night John boy.:roll:

DT123

Looks like we are back in Paisley territory ie being made to wear sackcloth and ashes. That said, Sinn Féin must surely have expected this whilst making all the running on past wrongs of the British Army and Establishment. You cannot be selective in demanding apologies or demanding investigations into certain events and then not expecting to face such things yourself.
SF will never be "forgiven" by "unionists" whilst the "gunmen" still hold the power ans pull the strings.Whenever none of the elected represetitives and their advisers are ex prisoners,will be the time for a politics of equals to begin.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies