SF made History - are SF now History? - Huge drop in support registered in latest Poll!

Barroso

Even thought SF won a seat in these by elections it has put a bit more pressure on Mary Lou.

SF best performance in a long time came in the constituency of Eoin Ó Brion. The obvious choice for next leader of the party.
And the curious thing that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that Labour polled more votes overall than SF did -

Labour​
15624​
14.20%​
Sinn Féin​
15116​
13.74%​
Now I wouldn't read too much into these figures, as over half of Labour's votes came from Howlin's constituency; but Lab also outpolled SF in Lousie O'Reilly's constituency, where SF had a dire result, with their only female candidate. It has been a very bad year for women candidates in SF.

Baron von Biffo

And the curious thing that I haven't seen mentioned here yet is that Labour polled more votes overall than SF did -

Labour​
15624​
14.20%​
Sinn Féin​
15116​
13.74%​
Now I wouldn't read too much into these figures, as over half of Labour's votes came from Howlin's constituency;
Must be a lot of nice but dim school teachers out there. :)

but Lab also outpolled SF in Lousie O'Reilly's constituency, where SF had a dire result, with their only female candidate. It has been a very bad year for women candidates in SF.
It's almost as if choosing candidates based on their sex isn't a good idea.

Barroso

I agree; but overall the quality of SF female TDs isn't so different to the quality of their male TD.
I'm not sure you could say the same of FG; or on reflection, FG male pols are pretty poor too overall, compared to other parties.
Then again, those with an FG business/professional background and an average degree of ability could probably earn more outside the Dáil than in it, which reduces the size of FG's pool of talent enormously.

Baron von Biffo

I agree; but overall the quality of SF female TDs isn't so different to the quality of their male TD.
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

I'm not sure you could say the same of FG; or on reflection, FG male pols are pretty poor too overall, compared to other parties.
Then again, those with an FG business/professional background and an average degree of ability could probably earn more outside the Dáil than in it, which reduces the size of FG's pool of talent enormously.
This is undoubtedly true.

For all the sound and fury about politician's pay the reality is it's not very good when compared to what people can earn in business.

And in business you don't have to put up with grief from the public and sanctimonious journalists.

Barroso

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.
It is when you compare them to FG, though.
For all the sound and fury about politician's pay the reality is it's not very good when compared to what people can earn in business.
It may have gone over your head, but I was specifically commenting on FG and the type of person who support them.
As the party of the better-off, their support is predominantly in the higher-earning classes - who tend to make sure that their children earn well, even the not-so-bright ones who are often looked after by being placed in a sinecure at public expense.
Those with ability earn well; so they don't need to go into politics, leaving FG with a poorer quality of politician.

Baron von Biffo

It is when you compare them to FG, though.It may have gone over your head, but I was specifically commenting on FG and the type of person who support them.
As the party of the better-off, their support is predominantly in the higher-earning classes - who tend to make sure that their children earn well, even the not-so-bright ones who are often looked after by being placed in a sinecure at public expense.
Those with ability earn well; so they don't need to go into politics, leaving FG with a poorer quality of politician.
It did go over my head. I overestimated your grasp of the situation. Sorry.

redneck

That maybe - but they wont hold the 2.
S.F have a large vote in Mid West. I can see F.G and Gino Kenny stuggling here. Eoin O Broin should top the poll. And that will help Mark Ward.

redneck

Must be a lot of nice but dim school teachers out there. :)

Louise O Reilly will easily get re-elected. She may even top the poll. In my opinion. The tide is going out for F.G in working class Dublin. And Labour are not receiving the benefit. Ffg will hold a lot of middle Dublin seats, but in places like Darndale, Finglas and Tallaght, Sinn Féin should mop up.

redneck

Will the new FF and Green party TD's swear allegiance to the Royal family I wonder. It is currently Ffg policy.

New Threads

Most Replies