SF may take Govt to court over bailout deal

S

SeamusNapoleon

Seriously working overtime these past few weeks and months.
Nice one.

puppybeard

I'm by no means a fan of Sinn Féin, but it'd be great if that worked.

They won't be getting my vote, but at least they can't be accused of falling in line.

Pat Mc Larnon

FG and Labour want to be in a position where they inherit the outcome of the bailout and can argue that they have no alternative but to impliment it as it was a FF decision.

Skrynesaver

As time goes on they seem to be the only ones willing to stand up for constitutional democracy. Wouldn't have been an SF voter previously but seriously considering this last month

Grumpy Jack

I never thought I would see the day when Sinn Fein became the defenders of Bunreacht na hEireann - we live in strange times indeed.

But to be fair to Pat Rabbitte, he was on to this first - after it appeared on P.ie, may I add - and AFAIK is seeking legal advice on the matter.

I wonder who will get the High Court writ in first?

westie12

And, unfortunately given the marked reluctance of both FG and Lab to say it, I don't hold out any hope that either of these parties would have the balls to "burning the bondholders" if/when they get into government. Watching Brian Hayes on the Frontline programme, he repeatedly dodged the question, hoping to God that the markets will have forced the issue on this before FG would have to decide on a burn!

Henlars67

I never thought I would see the day when Sinn Fein became the defenders of Bunreacht na hEireann - we live in strange times indeed.

But to be fair to Pat Rabbitte, he was on to this first - after it appeared on P.ie, may I add - and AFAIK is seeking legal advice on the matter.

I wonder who will get the High Court writ in first?

Labour trying to take the credit for Sinn Feins proactiveness.
Where have we seen this before?

sport02

After watching a debate with two alternative sides last night on the Frontline and witnessing more enthusiasm, conviction and drive, coupled with Sinn Fein court action in the DSW bi-election and now this appeal, I am starting to think FG/Labour are taking our votes for granted.

Maybe one good thing out of all this, is goodbye to FF/FG civil war politics, to be replaced witha new politic in this country.

RedSperanza

Before their vote collapsed at the last general election, Sinn Fein's major ambition here had been to form a coalition government with Fianna Fail.

Anyone who thinks Sinn Fein is the answer to our problems is dillusional.

Here's a good article by someone who knows Sinn Fein better than most:

The Pensive Quill: Waste Disposal

The key line, speaking about SF's victory in Donegal: "The downside of that is that Fianna Fail was blitzed by a party demonstrably more authoritarian than itself. Ominous for the future."

It will be disasterous is SF becomes the main party to benefit from the crisis.

Grumpy Jack

Cato

Good on them although in fairness Pat R. did raise this as well and Labour is apparently seeking legal advice. I am becoming more and more impressed by SF, even though I have deep problems with them. I used to always place them last in my preferences, but I think I will elevate them to third place now, possibly higher, as the FG/Lab government will require a decent opposition to keep them in check. FF will simply not be credible enough.

I would love to see the reaction of the IMF, EU, and the ECB if this thing had to go to a referendum. The markets would go insane. There is not a hope in hell that it would pass.

EUrJokingMeRight

Eh, Sinn Fein are playing catch-up with Labour on this.

Rabbitte raised this 24 hours ago.
It is not about 'talking' about it. We have seen lots of 'talking' from FF/FG/Lab/Greens etc.

It is about action. Not 'Talking'.

I've had enough of talkers.

From my point of view this bailout has always required a vote. But FF circumvent constitutional requirements once again to serve their own ends, whilst labour, FG, and everyone else stands idly by watching the parade.

This country needs real doers.

And, much to my surprise, SF have been delivering in that quarter recently.

The IMF bailout must be reversed and the protection of private interests and the budget must be stopped.

Henlars67

Several people questioned whether or not it was constitunional to agree to the bail-out without first putting it to the dail.
Pat Rabbitte never mentioned anything about a legal challenge until asked when he said he wouldn't rule anything out (not exactly an answer which would inspire much hope of such action being taken)
Sinn Fein however has said that it is considering a legal challenge.

chriskavo

Great stuff Sinn Fein, where are the other parties!!??

If they did launch a legal bid and were successful, would that mean that the majority of the house would vote against it?

New Threads

Most Replies