SF propose motion of no confidence in Lenihan

Ulster-Lad

Sinn Féin is calling for a motion of no-confidence in the Finance Minister Brian Lenihan.

At the party's Ard Comhairle in Dublin today, President Gerry Adams said the party will offer an alternative to the four-year austerity budget being proposed by the Government.

They said: "It is preposterous that Irish taxpayers should pay for the mistakes of the banks."

Mr Adams said he wants this Government out.
SF propose motion of no confidence in Lenihan | BreakingNews.ie

Probably a waste of time at this stage but at least they seem to be willing to do and say what many are thinking.

firefighter

The Cabinet are cowards for allowing Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen publicly self-destruct.

Lenihan is a sick man who's driven by his legacy. He should be at home with his family.

Cowen is also a sick man who's driven by what his friends in Tullamore think of him. He should be seeing an addiction therapist.

Mushroom

The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

Tomas Mor

SF are to be complimented for their stand against Lenny who has this halo around his head as a man who can do no wrong despite evidence to the contrary. SF also showed way by going to High Court on Donegal by election.

Westlands

A bit off topic but I want to see Lenihans interview on VB thursday night but Tv3 haven't put it up. Is there a reason for it and where can I see it?

Ulster-Lad

“This week the Fianna Fáil/Green government recommitted itself to a policy that sees ordinary working families punished to save the banks which have brought economic ruin to this state.

“The scandalous scale of the bank bailout was revealed this week to be up to €50 billion.

“Sinn Féin has tabled a Dáil motion of no confidence in the Finance Minister Brian Lenihan. Fine Gael and Labour, if they are serious about bringing down this government, should support that motion.
“Unlike the government parties as well as Fine Gael and Labour, Sinn Féin doesn’t accept that cutting €3billion from public expenditure in December’s budget is a good idea. This will merely deepen the recession and lead to further job losses.

“In November we will launch a budget alternative, arguing for a stimulus package to create jobs and help ordinary people.

“We are also calling on people across Ireland to voice their opposition to the government’s policies, in advance of that budget, by taking to the streets of Dublin on 4th December. Let’s make a stand
Sinn Féin has tabled Dáil motion of no confidence in Finance Minister -Adams | Sinn Féin

This is on the SF website now.

Catalpa

McDave

Probably a waste of time at this stage but at least they seem to be willing to do and say what many are thinking.
Best of luck to SF on this one. Anything to put that spoofing loon under pressure.

sport02

Fair play to SF for putting down the motion, but it will not achieve anything.
Was listening to David McWilliams on the radio today, he had some good ideas, can the goverment that cocked up our economy and made the wrong decisions, can they not have a forum where people like McWilliams can advise the goverment.
If Brian lenihan had of just listened to some constructive critism with regards his policies, maybe we would be in a better situation, Brian admit you got it wrong, and listen to the people who want to put it right.

McDave

I agree.

but Catalpa has a point aswell. What the hell were SF doing supporting the guarantee in the first place?
Yeah, I know. I don't admire SF's obsequious republican gene pool stance on the guarantee. But Lenihan needs to be resisted. Others should also take up the cudgel, and put this man and this truly atrocious government to the sword.

Sync

Interesting. They have limited resources and limited media attention. If I were SF I'd be more focused on moving to a campaign footing and trying to convince left voters that a vote for Labour is a vote for Enda Kenny as PM. Attacking one of the more popular politicians in the country and highlighting your own economic insanity doesn't seem to be the way forward.

bkeith

And who do they suggest as an alternative Minister for Finance.

SinnShane

I agree.

but Catalpa has a point aswell. What the hell were SF doing supporting the guarantee in the first place?
From recollection, they accepted it (with a raft on conditions attached) so as not to spook the little guy with a few hundred in his savings account.
We now know that a/ the banks lied to Lenihan about Anglo, b/Lenihan lied to the Dail or c/they both conspired against the citizenry that night. Either way, SF naturally assumed they were not being deliberately misled and ON THAT BASIS agreed to vote with the government.
Since then of course the full, awful truth about Anglo has emerged and in view of a full picture SF have acted accordingly.... to the point in fact where Eoin O Broin, SF Dublin MW candidate, has asked the Gardaí to investigate this series of shady backroom rendezvous’ that led to the Dail being deceived in the first place.

Kerrygold

While they supported it that night, on the belief that it would lead to the full nationalisation of AIB and BOI, but when they learned that this wasn't the case and when they saw the terms they voted against the bill.

CarnivalOfAction

Interesting. They have limited resources and limited media attention. If I were SF I'd be more focused on moving to a campaign footing and trying to convince left voters that a vote for Labour is a vote for Enda Kenny as PM. Attacking one of the more popular politicians in the country and highlighting your own economic insanity doesn't seem to be the way forward.
Lenny may have got a sympathetic bye-ball coz of his health problems, but, as people see over €50 billion of their hard earned cash going up in smoke, that popularity is dwindling rapidly.

How is it "economic insanity" to do what most progressive European countries have been doing for yonks: relatively [to us] high level of income tax & public services; wealth [incl property] tax; no tax reliefs on bubble-enhancing, crony-feeding scams; 1-tier NHS &, above all, no reward for the greedy gamblers who ruined our economy?
http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/Pre-Budget2010_small.pdf

The arrogant sneering at constructive, progressive proposals to get us out of the free-marketeer induced disaster reminds me of the 2007 GE, where FF, FG & LP all proposed even further reductions in tax for the greedy rich & sneered at [what turned out to be] more sustainable proposals as "economic illiteracy". Some prople never learn.

turdsl

I am not sure if Sinn Fein can continue with a no confidence motion on their own, Someone should do it, Sure he will win,they have the votes but it will widen the debate, Since Brian gave his speech in support of O Dea, the standard of government has got lower, For the last 2 years his predictions have been wrong, our country has got worse, no credibility,in Brian or the government,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies