SF propose resumption of Stormont Talks

Mickeymac

Unfortunately the unionist parties have poured cold water on this suggestion accusing the Republicans of pulling stunts and maintaining their red lines......

Facing into life on a grey Monday morning takes courage. You try not to think of that person at work with the smarmy ways, that boss who’s devoid of reason, that daily commute which leaves your lungs stuffed full of carbon dioxide and your nerves shredded.

The state of political affairs doesn’t induce delight either. Michell O’Neill has declared Sinn Féin would like to get round the table with all parties by 28 August, and has written to all hands saying so. Quick as a rat up a drainpipe Robin Swann, the leader of the party which got creamed in the last election, declares that Sinn Féin don’t want to go back into the Executive, they’re just pretending they do.

Robin is half-right. Sinn Féin don’t want to go back into the Executive as it was before things fell apart. And instead of nyamping that the Shinners don’t really want to go back into an Executive, Robin would be better employed checking why they don’t want to.

Because the previous Executive reeked of bad faith, arrogance and general high-handedness. You’d like a few exampes, Robin? Certainly.

Those Shinner and their pesky red lines - they'll be the ruin of this wee country - Jude Collins

BBC reported the news as follows....

Sein Fein proposes resumption of talks.

Stormont talks: Sinn Féin proposes resumption date - BBC News

Anyone on here got any ideas as to ensuring a successful outcome?

between the bridges

[video=youtube;QyqGANwLFRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqGANwLFRY[/video]

The Herren

Unfortunately the unionist parties have poured cold water on this suggestion accusing the Republicans of pulling stunts and maintaining their red lines......

Those Shinner and their pesky red lines - they'll be the ruin of this wee country - Jude Collins

BBC reported the news as follows....

Sein Fein proposes resumption of talks.

Stormont talks: Sinn Féin proposes resumption date - BBC News

Whats the point in you asking?

As soon as the thread warms up you will revert to type , answer your own question with self righteousness and arrogance, abuse all who disagree with you and stick rigidly to your well parroted SF/IRA boring predictable cant.

Sword of Gideon

Me thinks it is SFIRA running scared of direct rule and the loss of those wage and expense payments.

Mickeymac

The response from Bridget above certainly highlights unionist indifference to progress and an Ireland of equality for all, shed your hatred ffs in the interests of your kids and grandkids for Heaven's sake.

belfast1981

Talks should never have been put on hold to begin with.

Want to know how there will be a successful resolution? Cut off their pay, benefits and expenses. We will have government by close of business tomorrow.

Self serving c*nts, the lot of them.

between the bridges

Whats the point in you asking?

As soon as the thread warms up you will revert to type , answer your own question with self righteousness and arrogance, abuse all who disagree with you and stick rigidly to your well parroted SF/IRA boring predictable cant.
Ye better watch yerself buddy or the South Floridian Comhairle will set a Fatah on yer west brit aras, sir, pal, end of...

Mickeymac

Want to know how there will be a successful resolution? Cut off their pay, benefits and expenses. We will have government by close of business tomorrow.

At least you answered the question posed in the OP, unlike those other AH's who simply revert to doing what they know best.

D

Deleted member 48908

Yep. It's really that simple I'm afraid. They are basically on strike. The employers ought to suspend pay until a resolution is found. Simple stuff, really.

Mickeymac

Yep. It's really that simple I'm afraid. They are basically on strike. The employers ought to suspend pay until a resolution is found. Simple stuff, really.

You addressed the question in the OP, that's fair enough.......

BUT, you failed to give any positive ideas to ensure a successful outcome, that is basically what I am looking for and not the usual flag waving bigotry and sectarianism from our usual onionist suspects.

D

Deleted member 48908

You addressed the question in the OP, that's fair enough.......

BUT, you failed to give any positive ideas to ensure a successful outcome, that is basically what I am looking for and not the usual flag waving bigotry and sectarianism from our usual onionist suspects.
I'm not waving a flag.

I'm suggesting withdrawing the incentive to prolong the current state of affairs.

I'm tellin' ya, as is belfast1981, stop paying them and they'll arrive at a successful outcome fairly lively.

I like onions...specially vidalias.

Sword of Gideon

I'm not waving a flag.

I'm suggesting withdrawing the incentive to prolong the current state of affairs.

I'm tellin' ya, as is belfast1981, stop paying them and they'll arrive at a successful outcome fairly lively.

I like onions...specially vidalias.
You have to give an answer that fits in with sickmicky, not paying the wages is a non runner for him. The answer he is looking is force the unionists into government, making them agree to SFIRA "red lines" and betray their electorate.

vivabrigada

You have to give an answer that fits in with sickmicky, not paying the wages is a non runner for him. The answer he is looking is force the unionists into government, making them agree to SFIRA "red lines" and betray their electorate.
The DUP wouldn't keep to their word on rights then got so arrogant even uncle Marty had enough.
We ain't going back to that under any circumstances.
Curry your yougurt.

belfast1981

Alright, being realistic DUP will NEVER agree to gay marriage, they are a christian/conservative party and will stick to their beliefs, we might not like that, but their views do need to be respected also.

A way out for them to maintain their position would be to agree to reform government without gay marriage agreement in talks, however a MLA vote as soon as parliament is established,and a condition that the PoC is not used by either side regardless of the outcome.

DUP can keep their christian ethos and SF can get marriage equality and DUP can use the 'we got beat democratically' excuse to appease their voter base.

Irish Language - This is a tricky one looking on the outside in, I don't think any realistic minded unionist opposes the Irish language (Yes, I accept there are many loyalists who do) What the DUP need to do is play SF at their own game over this.

Protestant heritage has had a huge influence on the Irish language to the point it was the protestant Presbyterian church helped save/resurrect the language in Ireland in the 1800s (this might be wrong time period.. I am going from memory)

DUP need to play this up. How important Irish language was to Irish (I say Irish as there was no partition back then) protestants and Ulster based unionists aligned to Britain at that time.

HOWEVER. SF and DUP both need to come out and tell us what is in the ILA as some of the things reported by papers and other MLAs is outright ridiculous. SF need to tell us exactly what they want in it, and DUP need to tell us exactly what they agree with and disagree with. But it does seem the DUP is moving to understand why the Irish Language Act is needed.

Realistically the ILA is more easily resolved in talks than the gay marriage debate though due to core personal beliefs of the DUP.

Now, what I say above is how I would solve it, or at least what I would propose if I was in the talks process. It isn't perfect and I don't see the DUP allowing a vote without the PoC being in place. But its all I can come up with.

The big problem is this gives SF a lot of their 'red line' demands. And that will not go down well, almost rewarding their behavior, which it really shouldn't. SF also need to agree to more co-operation when it comes to legacy cases and Republican 'code of honour' used by McGuinness and Kelly should not be on the table in getting the truth.

On the gay marriage, while I don't oppose it, there will need to be provisions made so that churches or people of faith are not forced to preform the ceremony if they do not wish to. I know that sounds bad and some will be annoyed at that condition, but their faith needs to be respected too.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies