SF request the Gardaí to invesitigate Cowen, Lenihan and BOI and AIB officials

Kerrygold

Gardaí asked to investigate Cowen, Lenihan etc

This has just been released by Sinn Fein:

Gardaí asked to investigate Cowen, Lenihan and BOI and AIB officials | Sinn Féin

Eoin Ó Broin has today contacted Gardaí in Pearse Street Garda Station requesting an investigation into possible acts of fraud and deception by An Taoiseach Brian Cowen, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Chief Executives and Chairmen of Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank under Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001.

Iarmhi Gael

The Gardai are sick of this as well I'm sure. No one has confidence in this government. Time for these people to be brought to task on their acts treason.

Conventions centres going for €200 million more, secrecy involving Anglo and night of Guarantee, and complete failure by our government to regulate the banks...

PUFF DADDY

you gotta hand it to SF with this and the by-election court action etc..

CookieMonster

Crackpot wastes Garda time and money. Well done.

PUFF DADDY

love to put this up on twitterland to see reaction, can't access it here :(

dail usher

Ó Broin is certainly no crackpot.

And asking for an investigation into the biggest financial scandal in memory is hardly a waste of time.:roll:
True.... why crackpot is not the appropriate phrase for a nice Blackrock College boy like Eoin... brassneck is a better one.

Only surprised they haven't accused Cowen & Lenihan of the Northern Bank job too

iartaoiseach

Ó Broin is certainly no crackpot.

And asking for an investigation into the biggest financial scandal in memory is hardly a waste of time.:roll:
asking the gardai to carry it out seems to be a waste of time though. they shouldn't have to be asked. there is surely enough information in the public domain at this stage to warrant them investigating all by themselves.

blackpitts

you gotta hand it to SF with this and the by-election court action etc..
I never in my life thought I would end up praising SF, but I have to agree.

What Cowen et al did was a crimine against the people. It may not be prosecutable as a legally criminal act, but it was certainly a morally criminal act.

Old Mr Grouser

The SF press-release states:

" ... Speaking today Ó Broin said:

“In September 2008, in the run up to the bank guarantee scheme, David Drumm & Sean Fitzpatrick of Anglo Irish Bank met Brian Goggins and Richard Burrows of Bank of Ireland and informed them of Anglo’s insolvency.

“They then met Dermot Gleeson & Eugene Sheehy of AIB and informed them of Anglo’s insolvency.

“Following this Brian Goggins, Richard Burrows, Dermot Gleeson and Eugene Sheehy all met with Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan to urge them to introduce a bank guarantee scheme.

“Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan then went to the Dáil and introduced the Credit Institutions (Financial Support) Bill commonly known as the Bank Guarantee. During the course of the debate on this Bill neither Brian Cowen nor Brian Lenihan informed the Dáil that Anglo Irish Bank was insolvent.

“The passing of this Bill led to huge financial loss for the Irish Taxpayer ....

What is the legal position of government ministers?

What does Bunreacht na hÉireann say about the separation of courts and the government?

I'd be surprised if the Courts or the Garda had any jurisdiction with regard what was said in Dáil Éireann.

MPB

The SF press-release states:

" ... Speaking today Ó Broin said:

“In September 2008, in the run up to the bank guarantee scheme, David Drumm & Sean Fitzpatrick of Anglo Irish Bank met Brian Goggins and Richard Burrows of Bank of Ireland and informed them of Anglo’s insolvency.

“They then met Dermot Gleeson & Eugene Sheehy of AIB and informed them of Anglo’s insolvency.

“Following this Brian Goggins, Richard Burrows, Dermot Gleeson and Eugene Sheehy all met with Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan to urge them to introduce a bank guarantee scheme.

“Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan then went to the Dáil and introduced the Credit Institutions (Financial Support) Bill commonly known as the Bank Guarantee. During the course of the debate on this Bill neither Brian Cowen nor Brian Lenihan informed the Dáil that Anglo Irish Bank was insolvent.

“The passing of this Bill led to huge financial loss for the Irish Taxpayer ....

What is the legal position of government ministers?

What does Bunreacht na hÉireann say about the separation of courts and the government?

I'd be surprised if the Courts or the Garda had any jurisdiction with regard what was said in Dáil Éireann.
It is what was not said that the Gardai are being asked to investigate.

JoeHickey

The shinners move again whilst the others talk.

O'caoilan's actions forced Gilmore to act and combined took out John O'Donoghue
Quinlivan action in court defending himself agains WOD smears, exposed ODea for the liar he was and provided the basis to force O'Dea from office.
Pearse Doherty's court action will see the bye eclections take place (and govt fall???)
Eoin O'Broin's actions could lead anywhere...........fair play Eoin - well done!

I suppose the media will play this down as the wont want to upset (as we found out vividly this week) their close drinking buddies.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

Ah the utter irony of Sinn Féin going to the Gardaí - I'd say they were laughed out of the station, if not worse!

Sensor

Ah the utter irony of Sinn Féin going to the Gardaí - I'd say they were laughed out of the station, if not worse!
Today Sinn Fein is a genuine political party as any other. My vote will be for them as they are the only party which are not a party to the Banking & Union binge which went on for last 10 years or so.

bradán feasa

I'll post a link when I can but this is an interesting development. Will the Gardaí act?

Sinn Féin’s Eoin Ó Broin has today contacted Gardaí in Pearse Street Garda Station requesting an investigation into possible acts of fraud and deception by An Taoiseach Brian Cowen, Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan and the Chief Executives and Chairmen of Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank under Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act, 2001.

Mr Ó Broin asked the Gardai to investigate whether or not Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan deliberately withheld information from the Dáil regarding the insolvency of Anglo Irish Bank or whether or not the officials from Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank withheld information from Cowen and Lenihan in meetings before the enactment of the bank guarantee scheme.

Speaking today Ó Broin said:

“The passing of this Bill led to huge financial loss for the Irish Taxpayer.

“I have today asked the Gardaí to investigate whether or not Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan deliberately withheld information from the Dáil regarding the insolvency of Anglo Irish Bank or whether or not the officials from Bank of Ireland and Allied Irish Bank withheld information from Cowen and Lenihan in meetings before the enactment of the bank guarantee scheme.”

Tomas Mor

Gardai would be first port of call, but I doubt if they have the expertise. They would have to call in financial experts to forensically go through various budgets,advices, tax breaks, knowledge at the time (which may be privileged) I cant see it going very far, as the costs involved would be enoumous and they dont have resources. Some form of proper gov enquiry is essential first, not the half baked one we have at present, and which Na Glasrai accepted.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

Today Sinn Fein is a genuine political party as any other. My vote will be for them as they are the only party which are not a party to the Banking & Union binge which went on for last 10 years or so.
And thats your own personal choice.

They wouldn't get my vote in a million years. They may have the appearance of a genuine political party as you call it, but given the fact that most of its main players are those who were involved for the last 30 years or so, its a facade.

It can only claim to be a genuine political party when the majority of its representatives were not those involved with the IRA, Fact.

And they're not in thrall to the banks etc becuase they have never been, nor have much chance of being, in power in the south. Its easy when thats the scenario.

Mushroom

Only surprised they haven't accused Cowen & Lenihan of the Northern Bank job too
1. The 'NB job' happened in another juristiction so isn't really a matter for the Garda to investigate.

2. The Stg£26m that Sinn Fein/IRA may have trousered from the NB robbery is merely chicken feed when set beside the incredibly large amount of taxpayers' money that Biffo and Bozo have rifled from the national exchequer in order to rescue their banking and developer cronies.

By my reckoning, the national debt clock is going up by some €2.5m per day - so Biffo and Bozo are losing us an 'NB job' equivalent [€30m] every 12 days.

TheTinker

Can anyone see another tribunal lasting for feckin' years, all the time lining the
pockets of lawyers on both sides with millions worth of taxpayers money?
And the result : 'I can't recall, you can't recall, he can't recall, she can't recall,
we can't recall, you can't recall, they can't recall,.. I don't recall, you don't etc..'
And, 'In the broader context...climate of systemic risk...hindsight indicates that
had not the financial comptroller...that having been said...important to support
the capital markets...would have been disastrous otherwise'. Vomit.

I have to clean my mouth out now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies