SF: United Ireland would cost southern taxpayers €6bln/year

gleeful

Republic could afford united Ireland, says Sinn Féin

Sinn Fein say a united Ireland would be affordable by taxpayers in the south, costing only €3000 extra in tax for each southern adult. This would presumably pay for continued NHS cover and for the 31% of the population of the north employed by the public sector.

Good deal?

Seanie Lemass

There's never going to be a united Ireland. What planet are they living on? They abandoned that in 1994.

McTell

Twitter
No
Good deal?

They will still be complaining about something. It's affordable, but so is spending the 3,000 on a holiday in the sun. I know which I'd prefer.

Anyway haven't they got brexit to pay for as well? :lol:

automaticforthepeople

Those figures I'd have serious question marks over on the basis that
(a) no similar jurisdiction has such a reliance on the state for its income and has such a small private sector
(b) Post Brexit there are now serious considerations given to a drop in incomes and spending and this will reduce living standards in the north.
(c) The north as an EU member will be guaranteed market access to an EU wide population and can benefit from EU grants. The only guarantee on state funding is until 2020, 1 year after BREXIT.

ger12

I'm sure it could cost much more or much less :D

I don't view this as a monetary decision. We should strive to afford something that's really important, like a unified country separated by force.

hollandia

I'd like to see the figures. The subvention is £10 bn - the estimated tax take is around £8bn pa.

gleeful

I can't see southern tax payers being happy with funding the NHS for the north while not having access ourselves. Equally, I can't see the people in the North agreeing to the NHS being phased out.

hammer

Sure wont it all be affordable when they default on National Debt ?

Wont need any new taxes or increased taxes.

cricket

More kiddies corner stuff from the shinners. Giving the great unwashed something to play with while they implement Tory policies in the north.

Spanner Island

Sinn Fein say a united Ireland would be affordable by taxpayers in the south, costing only €3000 extra in tax for each southern adult. This would presumably pay for continued NHS cover and for the 31% of the population of the north employed by the public sector.

Good deal?
Has someone paid off all of Ireland's debts?

Are we not borrowing anymore in order to service the interest on the debts we've been lumbered with for generations to come?

Did I miss something?

Thank you very much whoever you are... whoever has paid off all our debts... very generous...

FFS :roll: I presume SFs numbers assume Unionists would be hunky dory with all this and that we wouldn't need to bolster security and all the associated costs of that...

And the NI public sector - twice the size it should be when compared to RoI... so I assume we wouldn't be footing the bill for that and that there would be a significant cull there?

€6 billion per year is it...?

Brilliant... easy peasy... pile it on all the other sh!te we've been lumbered with... F.. F.. S...

I doubt that's an accurate number but even if it was we can't afford it.

Erudite Caveman

Good deal?
But of course, it isn't €3000 for each adult. It will be 'progressively' taxed, with higher earners paying far, far more, middle earners paying more and carrying the load, lower earners paying a little, and the rest getting 'waivers'.

Guess which groups vote SF?

farnaby

(a) no similar jurisdiction has such a reliance on the state for its income and has such a small private sector
Aren't Scotland and Wales in similar a situation to NI on this? Implying that this is the direct result of them being part of the UK economic structure.

In which case NI can remain a tiny, subsidised, failed state feeding off English income transfers or become a bigger, stronger part of a small independent country.

freewillie

Would their pals who wont pay 300 a year for water be willing to pay 3000 a year extra in tax so that we could pay the welfare bills of ex UDA/UVF scum?

Roll_On

Utter sh!te. With EU money gone, the tories in control of the purse strings, FG cutting co-funded infrastructure projects and a hard customs border with the south, NI will quickly slip back into conflict over the next decade. Leave them off, do you know northern people? the DUP/SF isn't the largest party because their name got picked out of a hat.

The DUP campaigned for Brexit, despite it being crystal clear that NI would suffer for it. The logic being that they'd get some better fisheries deal, grand so all they need to do is go out and buy a fishing trawler so, sorted. Or better yet it'll stop foreigners comming in taking all the jobs grand so, it's the dozen east Europeans in Belfast that are there because they got lost that are really holding NI back. Honestly leave these people off, they'll mature if/when need dictates.

Cellachán Chaisil

Id pay 3,000 a year not to be in a united ireland.
Can you start now?

Wait till I get you my bank account details.

Windowshopper

My prejudice is that a united Ireland would be a net benefit North and South. It would take some restructuring on both sides (an Irish NHS for example). That being said I think any model regarding a united Ireland pro or con should treated with a healthy dose of cynicism the externalities are too manyto make a good prediction IMO. Plus I think any difference between UI or status quo would not be immediately discernible there would be the big cost of unification and the benefits of a UI would be cumulative over a long time. Most of us who want a united Ireland don't want it primarily for an economic perspective- we want it because we see our country as the entire island and we want that reflected on the nation state level.

statsman

Good deal?
Only 3 grand? No problem at al.

Are they f#cking insane.

New Threads