Sgt Pepper is not the greatest album of all time

RahenyFG

Common wisdom from a lot of people, regular folk and music critics, is that Sgt Peppers Lonely Club Band by The Beatles released in 1967 is the greatest album of all time well I strongly disagree with them. In fact I would put it as their 4th or 5th best album! Songs like Getting Better, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite, Within You Without You(far too long and dreary), Good Morning Good Morning and Lovely Rita are weak while A Little Help From My Friends is a half album filler/half joke song. The title track and it's reprise are middleweight fodder and not up to the highest Beatles standard. Sure Fixing A Hole, A Day In Life and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds are amazing. Many music magazines including the Rolling Stone Top 500 have constantly put Sgt Pepper as the greatest album of all time when it's not. Revolver, the predecessor, is a much better album while Sgt Pepper borrowed tricks from the Beach Boys album of the same period, Pet Sounds, in using animal sounds and cow bells ie the end of Good Morning Good Morning which merges into the reprise of the title track.

Sgt Pepper is unfortunately a sign of a band becoming very self indulgent and probably a good thing the band ended when they did. After Sgt Pepper came a poorly scripted/Paul McCartney led film in Magical Mystery Tour, White Album is good but would be a 10/10 if they cut some songs off it(a view stated by George Martin) while Abbey Road is only saved by the production genius of George Martin. As for Let It Be, it was the album that shouldn't have been!

Dub01

They were never the same after Paul died.

Catalpast

Common wisdom from a lot of people, regular folk and music critics, is that Sgt Peppers Lonely Club Band by The Beatles released in 1967 is the greatest album of all time well I strongly disagree with them. In fact I would put it as their 4th or 5th best album! Songs like Getting Better, Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite, Within You Without You(far too long and dreary), Good Morning Good Morning and Lovely Rita are weak while A Little Help From My Friends is a half album filler/half joke song. The title track and it's reprise are middleweight fodder and not up to the highest Beatles standard. Sure Fixing A Hole, A Day In Life and Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds are amazing. Many music magazines including the Rolling Stone Top 500 have constantly put Sgt Pepper as the greatest album of all time when it's not. Revolver, the predecessor, is a much better album while Sgt Pepper borrowed tricks from the Beach Boys album of the same period, Pet Sounds, in using animal sounds and cow bells ie the end of Good Morning Good Morning which merges into the reprise of the title track.

Sgt Pepper is unfortunately a sign of a band becoming very self indulgent and probably a good thing the band ended when they did. After Sgt Pepper came a poorly scripted/Paul McCartney led film in Magical Mystery Tour, White Album is good but would be a 10/10 if they cut some songs off it(a view stated by George Martin) while Abbey Road is only saved by the production genius of George Martin. As for Let It Be, it was the album that shouldn't have been!
I doubt if there is any 'greatest album of all time' anyway

Music involves too much personal taste for that ever to be anything other than a bone of contention

For me though Sgt Peps will always be one of my favourites :cool:

Some great songs on just about all their albums BTW

between the bridges

It's ridiculous trying to label any album as the 'best' ever, having said that Willie McCrea's here is love, has to be up there...

RahenyFG

I doubt if there is any 'greatest album of all time' anyway

Music involves too much personal taste for that ever to be anything other than a bone of contention

For me though Sgt Peps will always be one of my favourites :cool:

Some great songs on just about all their albums BTW
The regular contenders for greatest ever album are usually

The Beatles with Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album and Rubber Soul

Bob Dylan with a few

Beach Boys with Pet Sounds

Pink Floyd with Dark Side Of The Moon

The Rolling Stones with Exile On Main St

Michael Jackson with Thriller

U2 with The Joshua Tree

And many more

Catalpast

The regular contenders for greatest ever album are usually

The Beatles with Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, White Album and Rubber Soul

Bob Dylan with a few

Beach Boys with Pet Sounds

Pink Floyd with Dark Side Of The Moon

The Rolling Stones with Exile On Main St

Michael Jackson with Thriller

U2 with The Joshua Tree

And many more
Led Zeppelin Vols I & II

Gotta be up there....:cool:

Dub01

corporal punishment

The wall. Pink Floyd.
Let it be was the first Beatles album I bought so I tend to have it as my favourite.

Mr. Bumble

Minority

In my mind the best Beatles album is Revolver.

Best album of all time - Kind of Blue, Miles Davis.

Cato

Hildegard von Bingen - Gesänge der ekstase, performed by Sequentia. 1994 BGM Music

Great album. The last 850 years has barely aged it.

Cruimh

So many great ones. Can one call an album greatest of all time without sub dividing into Genre? Pepper was Great - but Pop music. I have maybe a dozen albums I listen to regularly. Those would include some already mentioned such as Kind of Blue and Songs for Swinging Lovers. Astral Weeks in there as well as Brain Salad Surgery and at least one Sandy Denny Album. The Creation by Haydn and my favourite recording of Carmina Burana. Blue Train. So many wonderful recordings of so many kinds of music.

Cato

So many great ones. Can one call an album greatest of all time without sub dividing into Genre? Pepper was Great - but Pop music. I have maybe a dozen albums I listen to regularly. Those would include some already mentioned such as Kind of Blue and Songs for Swinging Lovers. Astral Weeks in there as well as Brain Salad Surgery and at least one Sandy Denny Album. The Creation by Haydn and my favourite recording of Carmina Burana. Blue Train. So many wonderful recordings of so many kinds of music.
I've taken part in a performance of Carmina Burana in the NCH (I sing in a choir - second bass). An exhausting piece in places but truly wonderful.

Mr. Bumble

Hildegard von Bingen - Gesänge der ekstase, performed by Sequentia. 1994 BGM Music

Great album. The last 850 years has barely aged it.
Are you claiming that this is the greatest album of all time? Say it ain't so!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies