shadow Northern Ireland secretary sacked

Clanrickard

Marvelous. Well done Jeremy, I have my disagreements with him but he has done the right thing here.

He's sacked a neoliberal from the shadow cabinet of the Labour Party. Imagine that?

Don't believe for one second that Owen Smith gives a f-uck about N Ireland, he only pretends to care now because it advances the globalist EU agenda.
That you think anyone in the British Labour Party has even the remotest connection to neo-liberalism shows how deluded you are.

McSlaggart

While I may disagree with Labour a lot under Corbyn (And the Blair/Iraq years) I do think Owen Smith actually was showing actual concerns about Brexit and the impact here. More than most in England actually are. (No this does not make me a 'remoaner')

It's an ego trip with Corbyn, he has shown time and again that despite being a rebel going against the party most of his career, once in a position of power he will sack anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with whatever he says.

Right now we are looking at the weakest Tory government in a long time, and honestly, under Corbyn, Labour won't be able to get near them. Which means more years of Tory sh1t.
I do not care who labour put into the leadership the British media will attack attack attack till their credibility is damages. Corbyn has at least the advantage of been put to the test and coming out the other end stronger.

General Urko

As was said on Newsnight before he challenged Jeremy for the leadership, he wasn't even a household name in his own house!

theloner

He was lucky to have such a position given his history of backstabbing and plotting.

Sword of Gideon

More madness and crazy comments from our usual onionist crackpots.........

The day when shadow government's become irrelevant it means the end of civilisation as we experience today, anything but perfect, but the alternative is complete breakdown of all democracy.

Appears our onionist contributors are OK with that, particularly the forums pet poodle.:lol:

AH's like Bradley and Lioyd are off little consequence these days as we head for the border poll.

Telstar 62

If only antisemites were dealt with as swiftly and severely
in the Labour Party as Remainers....;)

Se0samh

While I may disagree with Labour a lot under Corbyn (And the Blair/Iraq years) I do think Owen Smith actually was showing actual concerns about Brexit and the impact here. More than most in England actually are. (No this does not make me a 'remoaner')

It's an ego trip with Corbyn, he has shown time and again that despite being a rebel going against the party most of his career, once in a position of power he will sack anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with whatever he says.

Right now we are looking at the weakest Tory government in a long time, and honestly, under Corbyn, Labour won't be able to get near them. Which means more years of Tory sh1t.

I have a lot of sympathy for what Smith said, but not for his timing, speaking as he did shortly before the upcoming Local Elections. Corbyn has been widely derided in the past when shadow ministers have rebelled and now the Tories will be looking on gleefully, but at least his sacking spikes their guns a little.

Smith must have known the consequences of such open defiance of party policy and breaching of collective responsibility by a frontbencher, which is not the same thing as an ordinary backbench MP's failure to obey the whip. I find it hard to believe that Smith's timing was accidental and incompetent but the alternative is worse...

midlander12

The amusing thing is that no one can really figure out what Corbyn's stance on Brexit actually is. He just about came out in favour of staying in the customs union about a week ago. Maybe by the time Brexit takes place we might find out whether he wants to stay in the single market. But at least we know where he stands on Russia and anti-semitism.....don't we?

GDPR

He was lucky to have such a position given his history of backstabbing and plotting.

It was pure opportunism. No one thinks he has any deep commitment to peace in NI or to the best outcome possible for the North.

Most Replies