• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Shalom Belfast :How the Northern Irish view the Israel-Palestine conflict :a documentary

former wesleyan

How the Irish view the Israel-Palestinian conflict - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

Shalom Belfast. :cool:

In his debut documentary, Ithamar Handelman Smith captures the vociferous − albeit not surprising − views of Northern Ireland’s Protestants and Catholics with respect to the situation of Palestinians in Israel.
When Mailin is asked about the understanding the loyalist Protestants like himself in Northern Ireland evince for Israel, he explains: "The vast majority of that community could sympathize with Israel. Israel is an example for the rest of the world, and I think all Israelis are brilliant people ... I will die for Israel, if needed, not a problem. The only place that I can put close to my heart would be Israel, because it is oppressed, nobody likes them, and nobody likes us."

Another nerve-racking encounter was with Danny Boyle, a pro-Palestinian terrorist and former member of the Irish Republican Army, who spent 20 years in prison. "I knew he was an extremist, but I didn't know just how extreme. He was terribly violent in his speech. He said Israel had to be burned down and all the Zionists thrown out of there.
Is Northern Ireland the Millwall of Irish politics......and nobody likes us ! Having only the Haaetz piece to go on I don't know how much stereotyping there is. Hope the BBC buys it.

Global Justice

Loyalists support Israel 3 fold, just like the 6 counties, it is a construct of British imperialist policies and like Israel, the 6 counties was founded upon colonisation and discrimination, and here's a good article, from a loyalist-'Ulster' nationalist perspective

blinkered loyalist reaction

theloner

Millwall? I'd go for the Newco analogy, it's definitely more appropriate. Myself, CR and Legolas touched on this fact yesterday and the strange way in which the marching men of NI and their dancing around hate filled bonfires doesn't cause any sense of embarrassment. It's quite surreal in many ways.

Here's a little excerpt from a study into the matter.

'Unionists have thus experienced greater difficulties than nationalists and republicans in securing support and endorsement from any significant audience external to Northern Ireland.

It may be suggested that, relatively deprived of external support, unionists have been discouraged from further cultivating such support, have tended more to entrench their position than undertake self-criticism, and, in the words of one commentator, have "retreat[ed] characteristically into that sullen, charmless introspection which has deprived the unionist cause of influence.'

Project MUSE - Unionist Identity, External Perceptions of Northern Ireland, and the Problem of Unionist Legitimacy

Cruimh

Millwall? I'd go for the Newco analogy, it's definitely more appropriate. Myself, CR and Legolas touched on this fact yesterday and the strange way in which the marching men of NI and their dancing around hate filled bonfires doesn't cause any sense of embarrassment. It's quite surreal in many ways.

Here's a little excerpt from a study into the matter.

'Unionists have thus experienced greater difficulties than nationalists and republicans in securing support and endorsement from any significant audience external to Northern Ireland.

It may be suggested that, relatively deprived of external support, unionists have been discouraged from further cultivating such support, have tended more to entrench their position than undertake self-criticism, and, in the words of one commentator, have "retreat[ed] characteristically into that sullen, charmless introspection which has deprived the unionist cause of influence.'

Project MUSE - Unionist Identity, External Perceptions of Northern Ireland, and the Problem of Unionist Legitimacy
Great Link - cheers!

Dame_Enda

The Unionists largely support Israel because they share a (ongoing in the case of Israel in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) colonial ancestry and a traditional distrust of the pre-existing population. Another aspect of this is the Protestant fundamentalist belief that supporting Israel is a religious duty to bring about the Second Coming.

ArtyisBack

The Unionists largely support Israel because they share a (ongoing in the case of Israel in the West Bank and East Jerusalem) colonial ancestry and a traditional distrust of the pre-existing population. Another aspect of this is the Protestant fundamentalist belief that supporting Israel is a religious duty to bring about the Second Coming.
Maybe we can do a historical full circle here when we recall that Oliver (************************bag) Cromwell invited the Jews to England on the grounds that this would accelerate the second coming of the Lord.

Dasayev

Sounds very similar to a programme made by Israeli Television about a decade ago. (RTÉ made a reciprocal programme called Balance of Fear)

Lessons from Belfast - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

"Wailing Walls" is not a documentary about Jerusalem, where its creator was born and raised. This latest film by veteran Israeli journalist and filmmaker Yehuda Litani is shot in and around Belfast, at the epicenter of the conflict in Northern Ireland.
Litani approached veteran Irish television journalist and writer, Brendan O'Brien, who agreed to be his counterpart. O'Brien's corresponding film, "Balance of Fear," has already been broadcast in Ireland; it will be screened in Israel later this year.

james toney

Maybe we can do a historical full circle here when we recall that Oliver (************************bag) Cromwell invited the Jews to England on the grounds that this would accelerate the second coming of the Lord.
It should put the OP to bed,but it wont.

Tommythesash

Why did you edit the title for wes? The Haaretz article title is "How the Irish view the Israel-Palestinian conflict", no mention of this 'Northern Irish' [non] entity...
The fact that he edited the title to suit his own agenda is enough for me to stay way from his dopey thread.

Ex celt

SF/IRA have affinty with hezbollah etc and both use semtex.

Dame_Enda

SF/IRA have affinty with hezbollah etc and both use semtex.
There wouldn't be a Hezbollah had Israel not invaded Lebanon in the first place. You expect the Arabs to just let Israel walk all over them? :roll: Plz...

Ex celt

There wouldn't be a Hezbollah had Israel not invaded Lebanon in the first place. You expect the Arabs to just let Israel walk all over them? :roll: Plz...
Or a UDA if SF/IRA hadn't started the ball rolling here.

Mickeymac

Come on now MIckey/Tommy ,you can't be supporting the RA and the Israelis.Time to make a choice on terrorism,end the hypocrisy.

Listen up dunderhead, the conflict in the sick counties will not result in a 3rd World War, the situation in the ME will most likely.

Ex celt

Listen up dunderhead, the conflict in the sick counties will not result in a 3rd World War, the situation in the ME will most likely.
The SF/IRA heroes were not prepared to do the suicide thingy and end up in hell with 100 females who looked like your ma before her morning shave.Therein lies the difference.

Mickeymac

The SF/IRA heroes were not prepared to do the suicide thingy and end up in hell with 100 females who looked like your ma before her morning shave.Therein lies the difference.

You seriously need to see a doc sir, read again what you posted.