• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Shane McEntee's Replacement to be Announced Today

breakingnews

The cabinet has approved the appointment of a new Minister for State to replace the late Shane McEntee. Taoiseach Enda Kenny will make the announcement later today.

If they could survive 6 months without this junior minister, surely they could have just done without it?

Edit: Tom Hayes gets the job (Tipperary South TD).

Last edited:

emulator

The cabinet has approved the appointment of a new Minister for State to replace the late Shane McEntee. Taoiseach Enda Kenny will make the announcement later today.

If they could survive 6 months without this junior minister, surely they could have just done without it?
Nail on the head there BN....

Junior Ministers are a luxury we can ill afford at the moment.... If a Department can get by for six months without one, they're quite obviously not needed.

Sync

True. I see the need for junior ministries in certain cases (Like Health, Justice which have huge portfolios) but yeah if you can do without one for 6 months then you don't need it.

ShoutingIsLeadership

The candidate best* suited to the role will get it

* best means: most electorally advantageous geographical location; loyalty to Enda; and person with most ability to continually spout the party line, no matter how much he/she disagrees with it.

emulator

I generally think there shouldn't be one but if there is to be one in the Dept. of Agriculture.... here's something I don't get.

Given we were told Helen McEntee was the best qualified person to replace her Father.... should it not follow that she should get this Junior Minister position ?

She has experience working beside the person doing the job for quite some time and should know the ropes....

Well, that's what we were told anyway....

greengoose2

I generally think there shouldn't be one but if there is to be one in the Dept. of Agriculture.... here's something I don't get.

Given we were told Helen McEntee was the best qualified person to replace her Father.... should it not follow that she should get this Junior Minister position ?

She has experience working beside the person doing the job for quite some time and should know the ropes....

Well, that's what we were told anyway....
That's not even mildly amusing!

breakingnews

Tipperary South TD, Tom Hayes is the new Junior Minister for Agriculture, according to Newstalk.

Who else has never heard of him?

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
.....Well, that's what we were told anyway....
...Our banks are well capitalised...the cheapest bailout in history....a new way of doing politics...etc etc.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.

politico24

Tipperary South TD, Tom Hayes is the new Junior Minister for Agriculture, according to Newstalk.

Who else has never heard of him?
I'm sure many have heard of him. He used to be Fine Gael chairperson and was on the frontbench.

gijoe

I think Tom Hayes was Shane's DOE for his by-election and were best mates. Enda may well be pandering to sentimentality in the PP in this choice.

politico24

...Our banks are well capitalised...the cheapest bailout in history....a new way of doing politics...etc etc.
The sun is shining, FF are out of power and when looking at the statistics, the stirrings of reovery can be seen. Cheer up. The mess is being cleared.

politico24

I think Tom Hayes was Shane's DOE for his by-election and were best mates. Enda may well be pandering to sentimentality in the PP in this choice.
Oh for F. S. Hayes was a promiennt frontbencher and former chairman of the party. I think he was even agriculture spokesperson for a few years?

Compared to most of his predecessors since CJH Enda has restored the dignity of the office of Taoiseach and people are just searching for reasons to have a go. Personablly I didn't think English would have been a good appointment so I'm glad to see Enda considered the options.