• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Shatter getting it in the neck!

Grey Area

The Gardai are going after Shatter big time!

In the press today

"THE family of Detective Garda Adrian Donohoe informed garda management that they did not want any politicians, including the Minister for Justice, at the home of the murdered officer, the Sunday Independent has learned.

The widow of the slain garda, Caroline Donohoe, who is herself a garda in Dundalk, is understood to have asked senior gardai to inform Mr Shatter that he would not be welcome."

"Meanwhile, it has also been learned that the Louth division of the Garda Representative Association is to propose a motion at the GRA's central executive committee tomorrow that an invitation to the annual conference should "not be extended to the Minister for Justice".

Though there have been several instances of protests during ministerial appearances at GRA conferences, this is understood to be the first time a proposal has been made that a Justice Minister should not be invited."

In fairness to Minister Shatter he did not pull the trigger on the Garda that was shot dead and he also has no choice but to try and re-organise the Gardai infrastructure. I think most would agree that emotive responses to practical issues rarely help anyone.

Maybe Enda will cool things down by conducting a re-shuffle to get things back on track or will he leave the two sides on course for a collision with an unpredictable outcome?

Tough times to be in Government.

Shatter told to stay away by widow of slain garda

Martin Donnellan: Justice Minister must ditch buzzwords and weasel words

Garda bodies reject payroll cuts

Shatter on collision course with gardai

Shatter 'very disappointed' as senior gardaí walk away from Croke Park talks

Garda chiefs adamant they face cash crisis despite Shatter's pay pledge

Last edited:

controller

I think the family were right. I wouldn't want any of the hypocritical w@nkers there either.

Nermal

The Gardai, more than anyone else, should see the wisdom of the adage 'respect the office, even if you don't respect the man'.

dresden8

Any minister in situ would get the same.

The only difference is that these cuts are happening against the backdrop of the murder of a garda.

The gardai are rightly riled up.

timhorgan

The Gardai, more than anyone else, should see the wisdom of the adage 'respect the office, even if you don't respect the man'.
Agree with the sentiment but the family were right, not least because, as you know, it is a well-honoured self-serving "tradition" for Irish politicians to be "seen" at funerals.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I hate politicians at funerals, and I particularly dislike politicians muscling their way into the tea and sangwidges after burials.

The GRA not inviting the MofJ to their Conference would be a very different matter.

The fact that the motion is coming from the Louth branch is particularly inappropriate. If it reflects feelings amongst the Guards in Louth, they should pull themselves together.

Dohville

It's about reshuffle time anyway. Any potential alternative justice ministers out there? I don't think the Defence portfolio should be shared either.

Aidan123

The only difference is that these cuts are happening against the backdrop of the murder of a garda.

I think they are also irked that the closure of stations went ahead the day after the funeral. However, it may have been impossible to stop it at that late stage.

Has anyone done a comparison of numbers of stations here and in other countries? Ironically the post office robbed in Oldcastle the other day was only 2 doors from the Garda station which is still open on part time basis. Having the station there didn't do a jot for stopping that robbery.

Crazy horse 6

It's about reshuffle time anyway. Any potential alternative justice ministers out there? I don't think the Defence portfolio should be shared either.
Reshuffle? Whats the point for christ sake. They are as bad as each other and anyway the country is being run from Berlin,Washington and Brussels. We might as well disband the Dail at this stage it's no more than a talking shop for high wage earners.

Radix

Pretty much sums it up, even if a debonair waft of snooty smugness resides shatterside.

Nemesiscorporation

I hate politicians at funerals, and I particularly dislike politicians muscling their way into the tea and sangwidges after burials.

The GRA not inviting the MofJ to their Conference would be a very different matter.

The fact that the motion is coming from the Louth branch is particularly inappropriate. If it reflects feelings amongst the Guards in Louth, they should pull themselves together.
Right now, every officer serving in Louth, Monaghan and Donegal is dealing with a situation whereby they are not just stretched as in other counties, but being overwhelmed, due to cross border criminals taking advantage of the situation. The cuts are hitting harder in those areas than other places.

Shatter presents himself a progressive, but in fact he is reactionary and imposing neoliberalism in the area of policing. He needs to be fired.

Cato

I was out for a few pints with a couple of friends who also happen to be Gardaí and we were join by several of their colleagues. Their attitude towards the current Minister for Justice and the Government was poisonous. Their morale seems low and, like many teachers, the attitude seems to be we'll do exactly what we're paid for and not one jot more.

wombat

Their morale seems low and, like many teachers, the attitude seems to be we'll do exactly what we're paid for and not one jot more.
If they all did exactly what they were paid for, it might be possible to see what their problems are. The objection to closing of 3 hr rural stations has more to do with preserving a soft life than any intention to chase criminals.

Catalpast

Shatter is temperamentally unsuited to the role as he lacks any social skills outside is own golden circle of legal eagles IMO

To say he just does not have the 'common touch' is a serious understatement!

Ribeye

Read this story this mornin, on the front of a free copy of the Sindo in McDonalds I hasten to add,

It's just plain funny, both sides are wrong,

Our country is a total joke,

Why was she ok with him being at the funeral than, I wouldn't want those rats anywhere near the funeral of a loved one,

Eire1976

Yes, move Shatter to Health. He's good with waiting lists.

He's managed to trim down the lists of those claiming asylum by making them Irish citizens.

sic transit

Shatter is temperamentally unsuited to the role as he lacks any social skills outside is own golden circle of legal eagles IMO

To say he just does not have the 'common touch' is a serious understatement!
Not much of a fan of his personality but didn't know that being "nice" was a required skill. IMO he is doing a good job and would settle for competence any day. As regards the OP I fully understand the widow's response but that does not excuse some of the unsightly political manipulation going on around it. Even so hardly worth a headline unless they're competing with the Sunday World.