• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

SHATTER sanctions 4 Gardai.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
I'm just listening to the news and now JDuffy is on about sanctions Shatter has taken against the 4 Gardai who walked out on him and the comissioner. What type of sanctions can be lent against them for complaining? Are they not allowed? Is this justified by both sides and where is the respect that is being eroded going to lead us?.

RTE NEWS: Minister for Justice Alan Shatter has sanctioned disciplinary action to be taken against four garda sergeants who twice walked out of their association's annual conference this week. The four staged walk outs before the minister's address and Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan's address to the meeting of ASGI. The four are due to appear before an assistant commissioner later this week and a disciplinary board is expected to be set up. They could face a range of sanctions including fines, suspension and a reduction in rank.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0327/378567-garda/

Last edited:

IbrahaimMohamad

The Gardai are a Military force who refer to us as Civilians. They must not walk out on their own Commander in Chief or Commissioner.

They are there to take orders!

RobertW

Er. . .what?

What year is this?

The Blueshirts are up to their old tricks. . . . If you have the "cheek" to walk on these gobshítes they'll sanction you.

Ribeye

They did not show adequate respect to the members of the elite,

That's not allowed,

Just like North Korea,

What's the problem?

Bren Boru

What's he supposed to do?

He can hardly condone their behaviour.

It wasn't so much that they walked out on him, but that they walked out on their Commissioner. If they refuse to show the Commissioner the respect his office is entitled to, then the alternative is indiscipline and potential anarchy.

daveL

That's not allowed,

Just like North Korea,

What's the problem?
it's insubordination

simple concept

White Horse

This is disciplinary action taken by the commissioner.

It is an internal Garda matter and Shatter would be wrong not to back the commisioner.

RobertW

That's not allowed,

Just like North Korea,

What's the problem?
They don't like being embarrassed so they're using these four to send out a message. . . Ya know - like the guy who got 6 years for importing garlic as apples. . . Pay your taxes and we don't give a toss if your business is struggling.

Now go and say "5 point plan" one thousand times

gijoe

In fairness they stated that they had 'no confidence' in the Commissioner. Just like in the military the Gardai cannot say that without their being consequences as the next step is to refuse to obey orders in the performance of their duty.

D

Deleted member 17573

Er. . .what?

What year is this?

The Blueshirts are up to their old tricks. . . . If you have the "cheek" to walk on these gobshítes they'll sanction you.
Now we see the right-wing fascism of the Blueshirts - hopefully Labour will slap him down on this, and they may just be in the mood to do so after Meath-East.

Ribeye

They don't like being embarrassed so they're using these four to send out a message. . . Ya know - like the guy who got 6 years for importing garlic as apples. . . Pay your taxes and we don't give a toss if your business is struggling.

Now go and say "5 point plan" one thousand times
Never question BIG BROTHER,

RobertW

In fairness they stated that they had 'no confidence' in the Commissioner. Just like in the military the Gardai cannot say that without their being consequences as the next step is to refuse to obey orders in the performance of their duty.
Sure. . .when you're running a banana republic and taxing the arse of its citizens. . . You need discipline in your army and police.

D

Deleted member 17573

it's insubordination

simple concept
It's an attack on workers's right to organise - walking out of one's own conference, at which the minister is merely an invited guest, cannot be regarded as insubordination.

Sync

Depends on what the AGSI is really. If it's a mandatory event attended by all seargents etc during working hours then you've got to go and you've got to behave. If it's a voluntary thing outside of working hours then I don't see the issue with them coming and going as they please. If I stood up and walked out of a work conference before my CEO spoke I'd expect to be fired.

Bren Boru

Now we see the right-wing fascism of the Blueshirts - hopefully Labour will slap him down on this, and they may just be in the mood to do so after Meath-East.
Discipline = fascism?

Could you attempt a non prejudiced post?

RobertW

Mmmm. This wasn't a union event, this was part of their day to day work is my understanding. If I stood up and walked out of a work conference before my CEO spoke I'd expect to be fired.
The PD has turned up.....;)

Perhaps your boss may respect your right to stand up for yourself rather than licking his arse.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
.....If they refuse to show the Commissioner the respect his office is entitled to, then the alternative is indiscipline and potential anarchy.
That is part of the ongoing problem. I know we bend over and take everything that has been put over on us but is there a glimmer of social breakdown? I mean if you stand back and just look at the austerity regime we are under it makes for a continued long list of bleak measures that are seemingly without end. It just goes on and on meanwhile Enda220'000kpa and his crew just keep on loading it on. Is there a breaking point?

EoinMag

I dunno, if our CEO turned up here for a speech and I walked out in protest, I think I'd be walking out on my job......

Sync

The PD has turned up.....;)

Perhaps your boss may respect your right to stand up for yourself rather than licking his arse.
Yeah I adjusted my post, I'm just not intimately aware of the structure of the organisation. If it's part of the job and they walked out on their job then you sanction them. If it's not then you don't. If they're not paid to be there then they don't have to be there.